Anyone have pictures of a Grand L 60 grill with added protection?

/ Anyone have pictures of a Grand L 60 grill with added protection? #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
I’m gonna be welding some expanded steel to the grill of my L4760 and am interested in any pictures of others that have done it with the articulated grill.
I have ideas but people are smart!

/ Anyone have pictures of a Grand L 60 grill with added protection? #2  
Not my work, but this is what I have on my L4060 by 5ElevenDesignz
IMG_3796.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

/ Anyone have pictures of a Grand L 60 grill with added protection?
This is what I ended up welding... just some expanded metal that I contoured to the back side of the grill... I didn't go with the perforated metal like you did @Mountain Meadows becasue I didn't want to lose the headlights that much (but I like the look of yours for sure!) I think mine looks great (becasue I'm not showing the welds) and should offer the protection I'm looking for.
IMG_2380 Large.jpeg

/ Anyone have pictures of a Grand L 60 grill with added protection? #5  
This is what I ended up welding... just some expanded metal that I contoured to the back side of the grill... I didn't go with the perforated metal like you did @Mountain Meadows becasue I didn't want to lose the headlights that much (but I like the look of yours for sure!) I think mine looks great (becasue I'm not showing the welds) and should offer the protection I'm looking for.
View attachment 758897

That looks well made but since I have some heavy brush to clean up I had my reservations when it came to an expanded metal brush guard after seeing this..........

Expanded metal grill guard.JPG

I wasn't too worried about the lighting through the perforated steel plate. I plan on additional lighting for my rops.

/ Anyone have pictures of a Grand L 60 grill with added protection? #6  
I've been thinking about creating something for mine, but when I went to the metal yard and looked at expanded metal....just like hydraulic fittings....there are numerous different sizes of thickness!! What thickness of metal did you guys use to create those beauties? Obviously the last picture wasn't of a stiff enough thickness! But, too thick and it will be a bear to bend and configure with my limited supply of metal working tools. Just looking for an idea on what to try. Thanks Greg

/ Anyone have pictures of a Grand L 60 grill with added protection? #7  
Here's what I did with my new Kioti.

I didn't want to drill holes and drive screws in to the OEM tubes (top and bottom), so welded angle iron to the tubes, also bent some strip steel and tacked it down both sides.

I regard the expanded grill as being sacrificial, to protect the (no doubt horrendously expensive) Kioti grill, and screwing it in place will allow for easy replacement should it become necessary (as per Mountain Meadows' photo).

Kioti grill guard.jpg

/ Anyone have pictures of a Grand L 60 grill with added protection? #8  
I've been thinking about creating something for mine, but when I went to the metal yard and looked at expanded metal....just like hydraulic fittings....there are numerous different sizes of thickness!! What thickness of metal did you guys use to create those beauties? Obviously the last picture wasn't of a stiff enough thickness! But, too thick and it will be a bear to bend and configure with my limited supply of metal working tools. Just looking for an idea on what to try. Thanks Greg

My expanded metal is similar to Oz-Kioti's post except I welded my expanded to the grill frame. The key is to position it like you want to get started and then get a good tack weld at one end. Then use clamps to draw the expanded to the next area of the frame. Tack that area. Move your clamps...tack that area...repeat process until you get all of the expanded welded to your frame.

I recommend letting your expanded metal run past the edges of your frame until you have it tack welded in place. Then cut off the excess. I don't recommend trying to cut it to fit and then trying to weld/bend it to your frame. You'll come up short that way.

This process is easier if you remove your frame and do this work on a welding table.

Smokeydog used some rock screening mesh like you might see in a rock quarry to build his grill guard. It's more heavy duty than typical expanded metal if you can find the mesh or want something more heavy duty than expanded metal.

Last edited:
   / Anyone have pictures of a Grand L 60 grill with added protection? #9  
I used 0.06" Thick x 0.5" Hole x 0.6875" Stagger Carbon Steel Perforated 2' x 3' Sheet. It's easy to work with and with bracing it's very stout.

20220730_091905.jpg

20220730_133313.jpg

20220730_133621.jpg

20220805_114558.jpg

/ Anyone have pictures of a Grand L 60 grill with added protection? #10  
Something I noticed about various pictures of Kubota grill guards is that the OEM grill frames vary in shape. On my L2501, the frame narrows at the bottom just like Mountain Meadows L2501. That's a very nice fabrication job that gives good coverage for the entire front grill.