Anyone have a Kindle?

/ Anyone have a Kindle? #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
My wife is a prodigious reader, so I thought this (Kindle 2) would be a good Christmas gift. Anyone have any experience with one?

/ Anyone have a Kindle? #2  
My wife bought one and appears happy with it. She charges it and takes it to work every day with her. We have a poor cell signal so to download its sometimes very slow. But she says when shes at work (good signal) that it works fine and fast. I'm not a book reader but I like the idea that you can change the size of the type.
if you can come up with some specific questions Ill ask her and pass it along. She likes to read but about tractors lol thats another story lol

/ Anyone have a Kindle? #3  
You have no link but I did a google search, looks like some kind of electronic screen to download books to and read off of.

If she's a prodigious reader that means she is at the opposite end of the spectrum from me, that said if I was into books I think I and she might prefer an actual book to an electronic gadget.
That's probably a part of the total experience, especially if she's been doing it for awhile, if she is a younger woman into all the techno stuff, then it would be more second nature.

But don't take gift suggestions for a woman from another man, probably the perfect recipe for a pin-cident.

I'm down to 1.5 days to zero hour, Wife's Bday is the 9th and I got nothin :eek:

/ Anyone have a Kindle? #4  
People who have them, love them. Many great features. Books are cheaper and in many cases, free. The type can be enlarged, so if your eyes are aging, that is a great advantage. They will hold thousands of books and even allow downloads of newspapers. And it can even read outloud to you if you are driving. Has a built-in dictionary so you can look up a word with only a click. You can have many books with you at all times. My employee even has three versions or editions of the Bible on hers for quick reference. All in all, it is a great device if you are a reader. You may also check out its competitor, called a "Nook" from Barnes and Noble. It is very similar but with some other features. I too am getting my wife a Kindle for Christmas. They are simple to use and you will see more and more of them.

/ Anyone have a Kindle? #5  
Best thing since sliced bread.

/ Anyone have a Kindle? #6  
While the idea of putting books in a digital format to make them easier to access is not a bad idea.

But the proprietary format that the Kendal uses in addtion to the ablity amazon has to steal (take back) the property you rightly bought at any time for any reason would be the reason i will never own one and suggest the same to you.

To add to that, unlike physical books that you are free to give or lend to a friend you can do no such thing with the digital versions you buy on the Kendal.

You will also end up paying money for books that are in public domain and should be free, but they dont tell you that.

I would strongly advise not to buy into a proprietary format device that is at the bleeding edge of a rapidly developing technology. History shows that early adopters often are left having to rebuy the same technology (in slightly different form) in the not to distant future.

/ Anyone have a Kindle? #8  
While the idea of putting books in a digital format to make them easier to access is not a bad idea.

But the proprietary format that the Kendal uses in addtion to the ablity amazon has to steal (take back) the property you rightly bought at any time for any reason would be the reason i will never own one and suggest the same to you.

To add to that, unlike physical books that you are free to give or lend to a friend you can do no such thing with the digital versions you buy on the Kendal.

You will also end up paying money for books that are in public domain and should be free, but they dont tell you that.

I would strongly advise not to buy into a proprietary format device that is at the bleeding edge of a rapidly developing technology. History shows that early adopters often are left having to rebuy the same technology (in slightly different form) in the not to distant future.

I'll ditto Steve's comments but also add our DIL has had a Kindle I for a year and really likes using it. She cares more about the convenience than the funky costs. As I understand it, new release popular books aren't that much cheaper than buying a hardback version.
Dave.

/ Anyone have a Kindle? #9  
Friend of ours has it. she loves it they have hundreds of classics for free and much cheaper then buying a hardcover. i was worreied about eyestrain but after seeing it its not a problem.

/ Anyone have a Kindle? #10  
there is a kindle app for iphone and ipod touch if you have either of those already.