Anyone have a Christian Medshare policy?

/ Anyone have a Christian Medshare policy? #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I've been meaning to research these policies as an alternative to my current $1650/mo United Healthcare family policy. The other week, I met a guy at the airport that sells these Christian medshare policies. I'm going to try to meet with him before the end of the year to discuss these plans. When I asked him the pro's/con's, like most sales guys he said it's all positive and he hasn't found a downside yet. BS in my mind and I'd like to get a 360 degree look at these.

Does anyone have any experience with them? The good, bad, ugly? Questions I should ask?

/ Anyone have a Christian Medshare policy? #2  
Who actually funds payment of the claims and who handles the claims service? What's the lifetime claim cap?

United Healthcare is a pretty big player when it comes to plan insurance and claims processing. Not saying I like them, but they are a name player.

Before I paid anybody for medical insurance, I'd want to know how financially stable they are, how well they pay claims, etc. It's pretty important because you don't want to find yourself in a position where you have a very expensive medical claim, but the insurance you thought you had won't cover it. So I'd say be very, very cautious.

/ Anyone have a Christian Medshare policy? #3  
Find out who the actual insurer is. United is a real insurance company. Make sure this Christian Medshare is not some fly by night seeking your money. Christian is a term commonly used to infer caring and reliability. Scammers use it, too, because they know that. Do some research before jumping.

/ Anyone have a Christian Medshare policy? #4  
There are legitimate medishare companies. The key is that they are not insurance companies. Read the fine print.
I don't have a medishare plan, but I would get one. I'd never convince my wife. Like any financial decision, research is your friend. Not just plans in general, but the specific plan in question.

/ Anyone have a Christian Medshare policy? #5  
I've been meaning to research these policies as an alternative to my current $1650/mo United Healthcare family policy. The other week, I met a guy at the airport that sells these Christian medshare policies. I'm going to try to meet with him before the end of the year to discuss these plans. When I asked him the pro's/con's, like most sales guys he said it's all positive and he hasn't found a downside yet. BS in my mind and I'd like to get a 360 degree look at these.

Does anyone have any experience with them? The good, bad, ugly? Questions I should ask?
See the word 'share'.

It does not say 'insurance'. It says 'share'.

Be very wary of that. There have been some recent news stories on some of these Christian cost-sharing healthcare ministries and complaints from members.

There have been good stories about some of them as well, so do your homework.

/ Anyone have a Christian Medshare policy? #6  

Well, if you end up with a problem between what was promised vs what was delivered, you can always find that guy at the airport.

/ Anyone have a Christian Medshare policy? #10  
No personal experience, I've just heard anecdotal stories about how they work. It sounds basically like a collective of people that agree to share each others medical expenses. The one I specifically heard of only covers bigger ticket items, not the small stuff. The members go and get treatment as if they are not insured, and agree to pay the hospital/providers. If there is a need like an accident, cancer, heat attack, childbirth, etc. that's above a certain amount, it gets submitted to the collective for payment. Each month the collective divides the total amount due by the number of members to determine each member's cost for the month. The monthly cost varies depending on collective need. The collective then pays the portion of the bills it covers directly to the affected family, and the family then pays their providers.

If the collective has a large number of participants that live healthy lifestyles it could be a beneficial arrangement. If the collective grows smaller or becomes populated by a large number of residents located around a future superfund site it could become a financially catastrophic agreement. There are time commitments involved to safeguard against opting in to get bills paid and then opting out.

Medical insurance for my family cost about 1/2 of what the O.P. is paying to still have significant out-of-pocket deductibles, copays, and co-insurance for care. But, it does at least offer a published cap on our annual out-of-pocket medical cost. Anything over the annual cap the insurer covers 100%. I don't think a medshare can promise me an annual maximum in medical expenses for my family.