Anyone had their tax exempt # stolen?

/ Anyone had their tax exempt # stolen? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
A little while ago wife & I get supplies from our local Tractor Supply. Years ago I filled out tax exempt paperwork. Never a problem since they use my home phone number I've had 40+ years. Today it came up under someone else's name.
I Google searched, found guys "real" name, number, etc. I just now called Tractor Supply corporate, supposedly they straightened it out. Curious if this has happened to others?

/ Anyone had their tax exempt # stolen? #2  
Stolen or a cashier setting up a new account and making mistakes?

/ Anyone had their tax exempt # stolen?
What happens is the checkout person asks for my number, someone overhears it then uses that number next time they're in. (I should key it in myself on keypad).
Another way, especially if they're busy is someone says they're tax exempt. Try a phone #. If it doesn't work they give another # until it works. Clerk asks "Mr. Xxxx?" They say yes and don't pay tax.
I called the guy who's name was on my ticket and I believe he's honest, not the one who used my number.
I called corporate and they're sending me a correct invoice and correcting my information they said.

/ Anyone had their tax exempt # stolen? #4  
I bought some plumbing fittings and they charged them to my brothers account, I didn't tell him for a while:laughing:
He was not happy that no one enquired as to who I was and just assumed they were for him, I did pay him back and had always intended to but enjoyed watching him trying to work out what these fittings were for.