Anyone had hose couplers come off?

/ Anyone had hose couplers come off? #1  

Champy

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 990
I recently had a problem with my FEL (300CX) on my JD990.......the bucket would only raise up about a foot but no more. I checked fluids; pins; obstructions; pressure; lines; etc... and found one of the hydraulic quick connect couplers had disconnected (somehow). I popped the coupler back together and it works fine now (should have check the connections first).

I don't remember hitting any brush or other things that would cause this connector to release. Is it common for these connectors to just pop off on their own - or do I have a problem to work on?

/ Anyone had hose couplers come off? #2  
Surely it was just a fluke. I had a problem once, but I think I did not get it connected good to start with. JC

/ Anyone had hose couplers come off? #3  
Yes.. hyd qd's can and do become cocked or otherwise not seated correctly and can/will shut down oil. This is the prime 'killer' of chinese hyd pumps if you go read down in the chinese tractor section... The factory usually plumbs in a qd right after the pump.. it pops loose and the pump detonates.. etc..

The guys down there swear by plazing zip tie locks around/behind the coupler slide collar to prevent that sort of thing..

soundguy

Champy said:
I recently had a problem with my FEL (300CX) on my JD990.......the bucket would only raise up about a foot but no more. I checked fluids; pins; obstructions; pressure; lines; etc... and found one of the hydraulic quick connect couplers had disconnected (somehow). I popped the coupler back together and it works fine now (should have check the connections first).

I don't remember hitting any brush or other things that would cause this connector to release. Is it common for these connectors to just pop off on their own - or do I have a problem to work on?

/ Anyone had hose couplers come off? #4  
Soundguy said:
Yes.. hyd qd's can and do become cocked or otherwise not seated correctly and can/will shut down oil. This is the prime 'killer' of chinese hyd pumps if you go read down in the chinese tractor section... The factory usually plumbs in a qd right after the pump.. it pops loose and the pump detonates.. etc..

The guys down there swear by plazing zip tie locks around/behind the coupler slide collar to prevent that sort of thing..

soundguy

****(oops, thanks for the editing) of an advertisement for a chinese tractor...:D

/ Anyone had hose couplers come off? #5  
PaulChristenson said:
****(oops, thanks for the editing) of an advertisement for a chinese tractor...:D
???

Soundguy

/ Anyone had hose couplers come off? #6  
Soundguy said:
???

Soundguy

I was tired and typed a no-no and the system edited for me...:D

/ Anyone had hose couplers come off? #7  
If you notice, there is spring pressure when connecting these. When you Pressurize a hose, ever notice how it will "snap". On a two way hydraulic system, when you pressurize the system one way, then reverse pressure, these disconnects actually move in and out. If you get a good "snap" of pressure, the spring force can be overcome and cause the two halves to separate.

By the way, a leaky qd can be easily resealed by replacing the o-ring in the female end. But, only if the male end isn't beat up too bad. This two way action described above also wears out the male end where the little balls in the female end make contact with the male end. So, for a leaky qd, try the o-rings, then the male end. If still leaky, throw the whole mess out and buy new.

/ Anyone had hose couplers come off? #8  
I've had one pop off before. I was mowing through some areas with narrow passes between trees. I usually mow with my fel off now.