Anyone had a lumbar fusion?

/ Anyone had a lumbar fusion? #11  
I had that same surgery in 2020,L3,4,5;metal rods+bone graft.Not easy but necessary.Couldn't hardly walk before surgery,got put off by a couple months because of Covid.Now at least I am good for about an hour's walk or work.I think more damage was done because it was delayed.
My surgeon had done 400+similar surgeries.

/ Anyone had a lumbar fusion? #12  
Had mine done in 2004. The worst part was where they had to cut through the muscle to get to the spine. Took a few weeks for the muscle to heal. Other than that, it went fine. Still have an occasional ache but now I'm able to do most chores.

/ Anyone had a lumbar fusion? #13  
Wife had same L4, L5 surgery a few years ago (3-4?). Took almost a year to get back to normal.

DO THE PT !!

/ Anyone had a lumbar fusion?
Thanks all for the shared experiences and the encouragement.
One week and counting .....

/ Anyone had a lumbar fusion? #15  
Thanks all for the shared experiences and the encouragement.
One week and counting .....
GOOD LUCK TO YOU! I pray it all goes well for you! When i had my surgery, it was a couple weeks after the surgery before i started to feel a little better. Surgery is a shock to your system. Its gonna take some time for the swelling & pain to come down. After the surgery for a couple weeks, you`ll think nothing changed, and its gonna suck. Its still gonna feel like the same to you right after surgery for a short time. Give it some time, and DON`T do anything until you`re healed up a bit. Make sure you do your physical therapy right to a T! Be sure to holler back to us to let us know how you`re doing. You`ll have lots of time on your hands after surgery, so don`t make no excuses not to come back in here and let us know how you`re doin... yah HEAR?!?!?! ;)

/ Anyone had a lumbar fusion? #16  
I have C3 -C7 fused .

All I can advise you please read Drs reviews and get second opinion . My first surgeon was supposed to be the best , just ask him . He missed the Bones with 4 screws , shot the screws into previously good discs . The screws pulled out and the spine collapsed in 6 weeks . Proven in CAT scan and MRI images taken by surgeon . I returned to see this freak for 8 years explaining the pain is 100x worse after surgery . He finally says “ look do not return , nothing wrong ! Toughen up big boy !” He took 6 MRI images in 8 years , all plainly showed fusion had failed . I took the last MRI image to a second surgeon , and was on the operating table in 6 days . 2 of the previously incorrectly installed screws were dug into rear of wind pipe , 2 were pressing on spinal cord .

2nd surgery was totally done correctly . Pain level on a good day is a 3-4 , by end of every day is 6-7 , range of motion has a 30% loss . But from the first surgeons mistake , what I have now is heaven . I still have 2 discs in lower back with major issues . I had ablation 8 months ago , doing ok so far .

35 years of manual labor and riding a Harley is not so good on the flexible spine . 3 types of Arthritis , CHF , from a year of Chemo , please remember things can always be worse and make the best of the gifts you have been granted , don’t sweat the small stuff .

If anyone is in the greater Cinti area and thinking about spinal surgery , PM me and I’ll share more info on Surgeon NOT to allow to touch you .

/ Anyone had a lumbar fusion? #17  
I had L4 and L5 fused on 11/17/21. Probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. Though the recovery was really fast, like a month or so, it took about 8 months to get my golf swing back to full motion. I don't regret it a bit and it aleviated almost all of my pain. I still can't stand up for long periods but the leg pain is no more. We are going to Park City skiing next week for the first time since the surgery.

/ Anyone had a lumbar fusion?
GOOD LUCK TO YOU! I pray it all goes well for you! When i had my surgery, it was a couple weeks after the surgery before i started to feel a little better. Surgery is a shock to your system. Its gonna take some time for the swelling & pain to come down. After the surgery for a couple weeks, you`ll think nothing changed, and its gonna suck. Its still gonna feel like the same to you right after surgery for a short time. Give it some time, and DON`T do anything until you`re healed up a bit. Make sure you do your physical therapy right to a T! Be sure to holler back to us to let us know how you`re doing. You`ll have lots of time on your hands after surgery, so don`t make no excuses not to come back in here and let us know how you`re doin... yah HEAR?!?!?! ;)
I have no aspersions about recovery being a little rough, but I tolerate pain pretty well.
For example, when I had complete replacement done on my right shoulder, rather than get in a fight with the nurse, I took pain meds that I really didn't need or want. After I left the hospital the next day, I never took any pain meds. None. I really didn't need them. Then when I started rehab, after a week (3 sessions), the PT said I was good to go, the fastest rehab she ever saw. Even the surgeon was surprised when I went in for my one month post-op visit.

I plan on taking my laptop to the hospital with me so I can keep up with the latest rumors here at TBN.

/ Anyone had a lumbar fusion? #19  
I have no aspersions about recovery being a little rough, but I tolerate pain pretty well.
For example, when I had complete replacement done on my right shoulder, rather than get in a fight with the nurse, I took pain meds that I really didn't need or want. After I left the hospital the next day, I never took any pain meds. None. I really didn't need them. Then when I started rehab, after a week (3 sessions), the PT said I was good to go, the fastest rehab she ever saw. Even the surgeon was surprised when I went in for my one month post-op visit.

I plan on taking my laptop to the hospital with me so I can keep up with the latest rumors here at TBN.
Good for you my friend, sounds like you`re already knowing what to expect. I wish you the best of luck, and pain free as soon as possible.

/ Anyone had a lumbar fusion? #20  
Late in on this one... My wife has spinal stenosis - discs pressing on nerves around L4 & L5. Came on really fast - she walked like she was in her 80's (she's 65). Chiropractors and physical therapy didn't help, nor did gabopentin. We bought a used Teeter inversion table and it's been a miracle. She inverts about 60 degrees twice a day. I swear it allows the discs to return to a smaller and more proper place. Before going under a knife I'd give an inversion table a try.
Be very careful with those inversion tables. Take it for what is worth. They are NOT good for you.