Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas?

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #61  
I see some people reporting favorably about brands that specialize in outdoor power equipment. It reinforces a theory I have. That is, a company like Milwaukee, DeWalt, etc, that started out making drills doesn't do as good a job at making OPE (outdoor power equipment). It seems the companies that are doing a good job at it are using higher voltage (40+).

I think this is a good theory. I have Ego outdoor tools (string trimmer, chainsaw, blower, push mower) and DeWalt 20V hand tools, and am happy with both as a moderate-heavy use homeowner. The 18" chainsaw will do a solid cut but is a bit slower than a good gas saw. Since I am not breaking down big trees for hours at a time on the regular, I don't mind. Everywhere else it wins big. Battery life is good on everything except the mower, which does eat them up. I have 3 sets of batteries so as long as I charge them I am not going to run out in the middle of anything.

If I was starting over today I would shop the different systems. Ego was the right mid-point for me 2 years ago but not sure if they are still the best "prosumer" line today. It is definitely a "system" purchase because you want to be able to share batteries.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #62  
Having just a small property, 2 acres, I found years ago that battery tools were adequate for most of my uses. Bought into the Ridgid systems due to the great warranty: Lifetime, tools AND batteries. That's as long as I expect to need them. ;)

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #63  
I heat with firewood and I drive a ways to cut it. Therefore I pull an 11K trailer and haul roughly 2 cords of hickory back every time. Too much work for a battery powered saw. That said, a friend of mine cuts his firewood on his own property and normally only cuts about half a truckload at a time. In addition to his gas saws, he's had a cordless Dewalt for over a decade and really likes using it. I've also recommended battery powered saws to several home owners who just want something to cut up an occasional limb, or cut a little wood for a campfire. Basically, if the saw will consistently sit on the shelf for more than 9 months at a time, and it won't need to run for more than an hour at a time, I always point them to a battery powered saw.

I recently picked up a Milwaukee string trimmer and love it for working in the yard. Light weight and the 8ah battery lasts long enough to do everything I need done on a weekly basis. I still have my Stihl gas trimmer, and it gets pulled out for anything that requires a brush blade. So while I love my battery powered trimmer, I'll never be without a big gas powered machine either.

I've been using 18v drills and impacts for over 20 years now and prefer them to their corded counterparts. I'm not throwing away my corded tools because sometimes I need them. That said, as the years go by I'm adding more and more 18v tools and less and less 120V or gas powered tools. Next purchase will probably be a Milwaukee hammer drill to replace/supplement my 20 yo Dewalt, and/or a battery powered circular saw. I have a make-shift jig for my (120V) circular saw that I use in place of a track saw. I think switching over to a good battery powered saw will make the entire setup easier to use.

In short, I've switched to electric but NO I've never gone back because I've never stopped using the 2 cycle or corded 120V equipment. I do my research and make sure I know what the capabilities of a tool are before buying it. There are plenty of times I push the limits of a smaller tool, but I don't blame a failure on the tool in those cases.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #64  
I use stihl electric tools and maintain 10 acres of lawn with the blower and weed eater. I have 80 acres with lots of trails and falling trees that I use their chainsaw on and for clean up. That said, there are 100% limitations and they aren't the same as gas when I need some extra oomph.

They just released a new 500s battery that gives a very noticeable amount of torque to the machines and makes their chainsaws a brand new thing. They also keep releasing larger ones that can do a significant amount more.

That said, when I need a big ass tree down, I call a neighbor with a gas saw, or the tree company. But anything 8-10 inches and less I use my without a second thought. Everyonce and a while a larger tree.

They work great early in the morning and let my neighbors sleep. Commercially I don't think they are ready for big fall clean up jobs, but for myself, they work great. I won't ever buy a gas chainsaw, I won't ever buy gas anything again for weed whacking etc... I hate small engine maintenance and can't get rid of my gas powered ones fast enough. I don't think it should be forced though, and I don't think its economical for most yet. My business pays for all my toys, and it's cheaper for me to do it than pay someone else and own nothing..

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #65  
I jumped in on the electric blower, chainsaw and weed wacker eagerly, thinking they would replace the Stihl gas pieces I previously run.
Fast forward to today and I am once again back to my Stihl gas blower, Stihl gas weed walkers and never really left my Stihl & makita gas chainsaws.
The electric tools are all 60V DeWalt. Nothing wrong with them. They all work fine, but after running both in a commercial business for 2+ years, I really only use the electric weed wacker periodically for light jobs I know will be done in under 15 minutes.

Not disappointed, just have found gas revs higher & keeps running when far away from the truck for hours on a full tank. Gas chainsaws are screamers and will cut circles around the electric. Electric only really good for quick 10 minute pruning jobs. Gas blower just keeps on running & running.

Anyone else try electric, go back to gas?
I have battery chain saws, drills, saws, weed whackers, and a blower. But I only use them for light stuff around the house. They work great for my use, but I wouldn't want them for any major jobs. Tried to use them to build a playscape for the goats and killed all the batteries before done. I was forced to take a long break waiting for them to charge up again.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #66  
I use a B/D battery powered hedge trimmer to prune Christmas trees. Each battery lasts me about 20 minutes. Two batteries and I'm done in anyway.
I have yet to bite the bullet for an electric chainsaw. I've used a couple of DeWalts, and have been favorably impressed, but not enough to spend the money on one.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #67  
I'm a homeowner with a 16 acre property. Last summer I bought EGO electric power equipment, including a ZTR mower, leaf blower, and weed whacker. I also own a New Holland 33HP diesel tractor with a flail mower attached, a Stihl chainsaw, and a Stihl weed wacker (string trimmer). Short answer? I don't foresee going back.

In my opinion, the EGO weed wacker is far superior to the Stihl gas-powered weed waker. The EGO tool starts more easily, is a little quieter, emits no fumes ... and is very powerful. No more messing around with fuel mixing. I have not kept careful track of how long it runs on a charge, but this hasn't been much of an issue for me. Maybe it would be for a lawn care pro.

The electric blower is the only blower I've ever owned, so I cannot compare it to gas blowers. It is very powerful.

The ZTR mower? More of a mixed bag. I don't use my diesel rig much anymore, except to cut very tall grass and brush. The ZTR is quieter, quite powerful, emits no fumes, and is far more maneuverable. I love not having to mess with fuel. But then ... it has virtually no suspension other than what's under the seat. So it's a pretty jarring ride. And I do worry about getting it serviced when the time comes. It is very expensive for what you get, and about half that cost probably is tied up in the batteries (not in an otherwise better mower). I'm not unhappy I bought it, and on balance do prefer using it to using the diesel tractor and flail mower.

One nice benefit of the electric equipment is that I can use the batteries during a power outage. EGO sells a battery powered generator that accepts the power tool batteries, and also less expensive devices that can be used with a single battery to power a laptop, recharge a smart phone, etc.
You keep on stressing that it "emits no fumes" while that might be correct for when you are actually using it, but its fumes come from the power plants making the electricity to charge those batteries, and all the mining and processing needed to make those batteries. Yes, I like my battery powered equipment but its not due to a mistaken belief they are eco friendlier.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #68  
I've been on the Ryobi 40 volt train with a couple chainsaws, weed Wacker, and hedge trimmers. Still have all my gas gear, but haven't used them. I have about 6 acres so lots of trimming and pruning.
I guess the idea is to stick with a brand you like so you can maximize your batteries.
I'm not sure about compatibility with other 40 volt batteries. Does anyone know if all 40 volt lithium battery packs are interchangeable? For example, does a Swift 40volt battery fit a Ryobi 40 volt tool and vice versa?

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #69  
Kinda.

I have a gas weed eater/pole saw. It's too heavy for my wife. She wanted an electric weed eater. She uses it often. When I weed eat, I bring out the gas one. The electric only has one battery and can do about 1/3 of the yard before needing to recharge the battery. The gas one can do the entire yard on one tank.

I wish I could figure out what to buy to get MY wife to do the weedwacking. Put power steering on our JD 317 but no luck there.

/ Anyone go from gas to electric, then back to gas? #70  
I have a question. I've noticed all these post most everyone still uses gas equipment in some form. Question is would t it be cheaper to take the money spent on electric and just buy gas??
Sure would👍. Of course it would also be cheaper to buy an old scythe, a clipper like we had growing up (crawl on hands and knees) and a manual reel type lawn mower. Then get a new tire for the wheelbarrow, etc. 😁

Every type of tool has its place.