Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #741  
A word of caution however.
Do not wear a red hat while refilling the feeders.
You might just get your ears cleaned.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #742  
How do you guys keep ants out of your feeders?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #743  
I believe, YES!

We have 2 feeders, front lakeside and back at kitchen window.
They go to the kitchen fly up/down then go to the front and repeat kind of saying 'we are back where is the food?'
How else would any bird know which window to go to unless he'd been there last year?
Once the feeders are up, is anyone able to tell birds apart? Per the posted food chart, I am feeding around 150 birds and no way I could visually recognize one from another.

The only clue I have on new birds is that when they initially get here, they do not know my feeders have roosts. They hover while drinking until they realize they can sit and have a drink. Beyond that they all look the same to me given the sex and species.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #744  
Good question, hoping to learn a trick or two.

I somewhat suspect a leak/drip or two is the cause.

One improvement I've done to my feeders is to add an "O-ring' to the mating connection and that seems to help a lot as mine no longer drip.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #745  
I buy the ones with a screw-on plastic cup on top that you keep full of water. The ants drown. I also take the feeder down and spray ant and roach killer where it hangs. That is a persistent poison that kills the ants if they crawl over it. After it's dry the hummers won't ingest it.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #746  
So far I have never had an ant in my feeders, I have been at this house for 6 years. My feeders do not leak sugar water and hang off of the fascia board with an upside down serving tray over the top as an extra rain cover.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
Yesterday, we saw two hummingbirds on the ground near the feeders and they appeared to be eating ants or bugs. We've never seen birds on the ground like this before.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #748  
Yesterday, we saw two hummingbirds on the ground near the feeders and they appeared to be eating ants or bugs. We've never seen birds on the ground like this before.
Very interesting since they cannot walk.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
Last edited:
   / Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #750  
They eat ants and aphids all the time here. I think it is fun to see them zipping up to an old spider web and going zip, zip, zip, gobbling up stuck insects.

All the best,

Peter