Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise?

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #111  
$100 a face cord would be $300 a cord. My gas bill is only $135 in winter.

As I've mentioned in the past, burning firewood to save money is a losing proposition if you put a monetary value on your time.

If you do not put a monetary value on your time, need the exercise, enjoy the activity, and get the wood for free, (as I do all of the above), then it's a worthwhile activity. Buy I could make enough money working the same hours spent harvesting firewood at McDonalds and come out ahead VS what it saves us in gas bills.
I prefer to cut my own firewood because I do not like the commercial cut. They cut 14" bolts, then stack it loosely enough that it measures a full cord. Any larger and they start getting complaints from people with small fireboxes. I like a 20" log. They over-split for the same reason. I may use a 4" split to get a fire started, but then I like a 6" round or 12" half split so I don't have to feed the fire so often. There is always a nice bed of coals in the morning to keep the chill off the house and start the next day's fire.

Then of course there is the exercise. I'm a "use it or lose it" believer. I look 20 years younger than my calendar age. No beer gut. I will probably live longer than a couch potato and enjoy my retirement a lot more. Yeah, I'm a little creaky. If I'm heading out for a solid day's work, I fortify with caffeine, Aleve and kratom, which work great together to keep the aches and pains at bay. If you let the aches and pains stop you, you're done.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #112  
Around here a "face" cord means NOTHING. Wood is sold by the cord or half cord. Face cord is not a legal unit of measure.

[...]

However - I DO miss a nice fire in the wood stove. I don't miss the stink bugs/volcanic ash/dirt that came in with the wood.
I have never seen a face cord advertised around here. They would call it 1/3 cord, but I have never seen that either. If you want a little bit of firewood, they sell it by the pickup load, you haul. They have piles of it in front of stores.

My stove is in the family room, and we floored that with ceramic tile years ago. It takes 2 minutes to sweep the floor, and toss the dustpan load into the firebox. The family room opens into the garage, so I bring a wheelbarrow load at a time into the garage and bring it into the house a few pieces at a time.

The snow storm brought down a lot of barky wood, which will be messy to burn. I'm making up for it by cutting nothing but madrone. The deciduous bark makes it ultra clean to handle.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #114  
The fireplace insert I use deserves an eventual honorable death. It's a Fisher from the early '70s, and is a fine appliance. The house is 50 years old this year, and the insert came not long after. It was built long before EPA certification, and was one of the best of the air tight models. I don't know if their market penetrated the East, but here in Oregon it was one of the top brands. Fisher and Frontier pretty much owned the market.

My Fisher has heavy cast double doors with 5x7 flint glass windows. The firebox is 3/8" welded steel 22" by 16" by 2' deep. The bottom and 6" of the sides are lined with fire brick. Across the front is a slot draft parallel to the windows. Side draft draws in air, anything near the front gets plenty of oxygen, and circulates to the top of the stove, which gets plenty hot to cook on. The flame in front of the windows projects a lot of radiant heat. I can have a gallon of water boiling in 30 minutes in the morning, starting from the previous night's bed of coals.

We are supposed to get a 5 day cold snap starting tonight. I am working on cleaning my wood shed out for once. I'm down to wood that was sitting in that woodshed for 20 years. I just built a fire starting with a 3" ash round on a hot bed of coals, with a 4" and 6" ash split on either side, and a 6" ash round on top of the two side pieces. That would heat the whole house for 6 hours, but I'll break it down into a 4" bed of coals, load a couple 10" rounds, and let it heat the house all night. Right now I'm hanging as far from the stove as I can get. I'm still dressed for cold weather. Cold, clear, and sunny is the forecast. Great firewood weather.

I have to admit that I cut firewood because I don't want to give up my wood stove. It does what it was designed to do, and has done it for almost 50 years. State law says all wood stoves have to be EPA certified or removed and destroyed when the house is sold. I fully expect the stove to outlive me, so I may replace it. If I do, I'll salvage the doors, hardware, and fire brick.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #115  
With energy costs going through the roof, the thumb is on the wood heat side of the scales. If you have your own wood and cut it yourself you can't heat a house cheaper.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #116  
With energy costs going through the roof, the thumb is on the wood heat side of the scales. If you have your own wood and cut it yourself you can't heat a house cheaper.
You're correct, however, it can be unhealthy air to breathe. My parents put in a Fisher stove in 70s. "Airtight" Momma Bear. Even slowly opening door, smoke puffs out. Smoke out dampers by a wind downdraft sometimes. It's not healthy breathing smoke, and Dad (rip) had respiratory problems, never used tobacco.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #117  
anybody wanting healty exercise cutting firewood.....come on down.

i have chainsaws and lots of wood needing cutting.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #118  
That's only true if you don't have to put a value on your time.

I've run the numbers a few times. If I add up the time spent traveling, hauling, wear and tear on vehicles/tractor/saws, etc., and the time spent processing each year to get my 6 cords of wood, I could work fewer hours at my day job and pay the natural gas bill for the entire winter.

With that said, I really enjoy the activity, have plenty of free wood, and I like the feel of wood heat over force air heat, so I don't see myself not heating with wood in the foreseeable future.

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise? #119  
I enjoy the work out. Keeps me sane at times

The log load came a few weeks back. I can hear the but ends drying even if I know the mid length is wet as fresh cut.

The saws are waiting , splitter is too. cooler weather to come with the shorter days ahead.

Money in fuel oil and propane ? Seems like a one way trip.

I'm looking at two years of warm hearth ahead.

The movie "dancing with Wolves" had a good scene. "there are few things better than a warm fire".

/ Anyone cut firewood for health/exercise?
I hear burning wood releases hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, contributing to global warming.

Just ask her. :ROFLMAO:

1655980576798.gif