Anyone care to walk me through it?

/ Anyone care to walk me through it? #1  

LostInTheWoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Problem: Bx2660 will not start.

Back History: After rotary cutting for about 2 hours, I drove the tractor back to the driveway. I hopped off to do something without thinking, and did not engage the parking brake. Kill switch did it's thing, and engine shut off.

I hopped back on to start her up, but she wouldn't crank. All the usual lights come up on the dash, and you can hear the "click-click-click" when I turn the key. But she doesn't even begin to fire.

I played with the kill switch, made sure nothing was engaged (i.e. PTO), checked battery terminal cleanliness. All good. I hate to bypass the kill switch if there's something else I might be missing (I do a lot of work on hills). Haven't tested the battery, but it's barely more than two years old and had cranked the engine no problem prior to this.

Elsewhere on TBN, there's a thread about the B models having a similar problem not firing although you could hear the solenoid click. Their problem seems to have been remedied by putting a low voltage regulator ("John Deere part AM107421") in line. Any BX's have this issue?

What else should I run through before digging out the wire cutters?

Thanks,

Lost

/ Anyone care to walk me through it? #2  
About your BX,

Are you referring to the fuel pump?

Is that what you are hearing most likely?

You may have a dead cell in the battery or
a stuck solenoid on the starter as another
possiblity.

Another issue my be a dead spot on the starter,

If you can try jumping the solenoid and see it that
may be the issue.

A dead cell in your battery can be an intermittant
problem or a stop it dead in its tracks problem.

Most likely your neutral safety switch may be out of
adjustment and that is your issue.

/ Anyone care to walk me through it? #3  
I'd check hst pedal switch, jiggle it all over the place to see if you can get it to make up. Also check things your pants cuffs or pockets can hook on when you get off, like one of the pto levers.

/ Anyone care to walk me through it? #4  
Make sure the mower is in the off position and rock the HST pedal back and forth with the key in the start position to find the sweet spot. Sounds like a safety switch.

/ Anyone care to walk me through it? #5  
I would check your pto safety switch lift the seat up and reach down and push in on the button of the safety switch a few times. I have the same thing happen on my 2660 after pushing in on the button it works iam going to replace the switch on mine.

/ Anyone care to walk me through it? #6  
I think its just the HST pedal. rock it back and forth and find the neutral and try to start. sitting in the seat or off will start anyway. make sure pto is disengaged. check switch on pto shift. try selecting a different pto setting (pointless but wont hurt if nothing works). If all fails, check the headlight brightness to see if battery has charge. check fuse.

/ Anyone care to walk me through it? #7  
I know on my BX that if the PTO engagement lever is even slightly off it's stop in the disengaged position, it will not start. I've nudged it enough to keep it from starting just getting off the tractor...

/ Anyone care to walk me through it?
Doesn't seem to be the safety switch. I jiggled it all sorts of ways and nothing happened. Same with the PTO lever.

I never thought about rocking the HST pedal. So simple it never occurred to me. I guess I wasn't even thinking about HST being "in neutral". I'll be out of town a few days, but I'll have to try that next time I can get on the tractor.

Thanks for the input!

/ Anyone care to walk me through it? #9  
I'd stay away from the voltage regular trick. Thats somthing thats done on old tractors, never seen it done on a BX. I doubt thats your problem anyway, I'm leaning towards a bad cell in the battery.

/ Anyone care to walk me through it? #10  
I hopped off to do something without thinking, and did not engage the parking brake. Kill switch did it's thing, and engine shut off.

No one has mentioned this yet but you do not have to set the parking brake to get off the tractor. The engine will not shut off because of this. I vote that it's the HST pedal.