Anyone burning off crancase drain oil in their tractors?

/ Anyone burning off crancase drain oil in their tractors? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Thinking a quart of settled and filtered waste oil to 10 gallons of fuel.

I'm not interested in hearing from those who have never done it regardless of their reasons, blind emotion being what it is ;-)

/ Anyone burning off crancase drain oil in their tractors? #2  
I've burned quite a bit of it at 50/50...

Worked just fine in the summer but I wouldn't run that mix in cold weather...

SR

/ Anyone burning off crancase drain oil in their tractors? #3  
Is it really worth the effort to gain an extra 75 cents of free fuel to 10 gallons?

/ Anyone burning off crancase drain oil in their tractors?
Is it really worth the effort to gain an extra 75 cents of free fuel to 10 gallons?

You are the guy that I didn't want to hear from. Obviously never done it if you think it is done for the 75 cents.

/ Anyone burning off crancase drain oil in their tractors?
I've burned quite a bit of it at 50/50...

Worked just fine in the summer but I wouldn't run that mix in cold weather...

SR

Yea, not for winter temps.

There are times when the tractor runs for hours sitting with the load on the pto.

Then I need to PAY to throw away the drain oil.

50 /50 seems rich. Burns clean?

/ Anyone burning off crancase drain oil in their tractors? #6  
You are the guy that I didn't want to hear from. Obviously never done it if you think it is done for the 75 cents.

Locally it’s free to depose of used oil, but I’ve never done it. I “need” it to start brush piles. I wouldn’t care to burn good hydraulic fluid in a diesel but in wouldn’t used motor oil. Good hydraulic oil never gets thrown away around here either.

/ Anyone burning off crancase drain oil in their tractors? #7  
I’m currently facing the same problem with 20 gallons of bad gas I had to siphon out of another truck. I could pour it in another vehicle a little at a time but I haven’t decided if it’s worth it. If I win I succeed in getting rid of 20 gallons of old gas and save about $50 in fuel. If I loose I have to drain the gas in that vehicle which cost more good gas, the loss of the use of the vehicle, loss of the time to fix it, and probably a fuel filter.

/ Anyone burning off crancase drain oil in their tractors? #8  
It really depends on the TYPE of fuel system that your adding the oil too.. Some systems are more forgiving than others..
The fuel inj. manuf. say you can add up to 10% alternative fuels without voiding any warranties..
If this is an older tractor say 1970-ish, pour away..
Mack Truck had a s. bulletin that TOLD YOU to burn off the waste oil from oil changes IN the fuel.. I forgot the ratio but some of the older injection pumps I used to get, were black inside.. THAT wasn't the reason for any failures tho..
IF the manuf. says 10%.. you know that's conservative just to CYA.. so you know that ratio can be higher..
A qt. for 10 gal. is very conservative.. if it were mine, I'd add a gallon to 10.. if I needed to get rid of a lot of old oil..
NOW IF your doing it to add lubrication to the fuel system on account of ULSD.?? That's a diff. question that I'm not getting into..

/ Anyone burning off crancase drain oil in their tractors? #9  
I used to burn filtered engine oil at 25% ratio in older Cats and John Deeres with mechanical piston type injection pumps. Never had a problem. But the newer high pressure and common rail injection systems are not compatible with the additives in engine oil. Several of us learned the hard way in the mid-2000's when the higher pressure systems were introduced.

/ Anyone burning off crancase drain oil in their tractors? #10  
I spent 35 years in engineering working for. Diesel engine manufacturer. Back in the 70s and 80s we had service recommendations for allowable used oil mixtures in Diesel fue. It worked ok in the relatively low pressure fuel systems of the day, but filter life was reduced and nozzle coking was sometimes an issue with the 4 orifice injector tips of the day.

Modern fuel systems run at much tighter clearances and pressures, and the injectors typically have five or more orifices of smaller diameter.

To my knowledge, no manufacturer condones the addiction of used oil to the fuel any more.

Is it really worth the risk of a fuel system failure to save a few pennies on fuel cost?

Used oil has a very low cetane number to boot, and isn’t compatible with modern after treatment systems.