Anyone built one of these?

/ Anyone built one of these? #11  
Hehe...I know what you mean. My accountant is tough on me too...and she always wins! Yes, I am a ways down 81. I can get to Md in 3 hours but I don't know where you're at. The installation is the best part anyway so do shop locally. All I know is that for less than the price of materials for a wood structure, I will have my stuff under cover with NO WORK involved. A post and beam building is a lot of work for one person. Also, it will be carpenter bee and woodpecker proof which is getting to be quite an adantage around here lately. Good luck!

/ Anyone built one of these? #12  
I'm just across the border from WV, about 15 minutes from I-81.

That is why I asked the questions.

Another question - that price does not include the concrete work, correct? If it does, man you got a good deal!!! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thanks for replies, Terry

/ Anyone built one of these? #13  
From years of careful observation and practical evidence, my truly wonderful wife has postulated that on earth, nearly all things need a house. People, dogs, birds, mail, food, money, tools, vehicles and so on... all seem to need a house of some sort. I refer to it as one element of: [Gail's hierarchy of needs]. Maslov just did not carry it far enough. This must therefore apply to our brand new B2410 as well; with now 8 whole hours on the meter. Wonderful machine.

So in a diligent search for a suitable Bota-barn, we came across a great system (Miracle Truss) by Miracle Steel Structures, Inc., that would in theory allow me (and quite possibly some occasional help from friends) to assemble a 30ft x 36ft barn before winter. (I hope.) Pretty nasty winters here in the northeast too. Wouldn’t think of leaving the Bota out in the snow, freezing rain and slush!

We spoke with Pat Yentzer, a very knowledgeable technical sales person, who helped conceptualize the Bota-barn’s features over the phone with us.
Our requirements were simple: just want a small barn, with tall ceilings and one door, that could house the Bota, an old junk-box Porsche 944, a small boat & trailer and 20 to 30 various powered and non-powered implements of destruction to attach to the Bota. With 12 ft eves we can easily stack the Porsche on top of the boat and drive it through the door for sure.

We’re buying the structural elements and design plans from MSSI (truss, frame, roof, door hardware) and supplying all else ourselves (windows, wood siding, trim, girts, purlins, door and of course grunt work).

Just yesterday we received a next-day envelope with the anchor-bolt-setting plan and detail drawings for each of the column types to be used in the Bota-barn. In 10 days we should receive three sets of engineer-certified building plans being prepared for our specific building for presentation to the local town building inspector. The barn will have been designed for our county wind and snow loading conditions up here in the Northeast (MA).

I’ve included a photo of a similar Bota-barn to the one we’ve ordered.

The total price should be somewhat less expensive than a typical stick-built barn if all labor is considered. However with this system we believe it can be erected quickly by ourselves (before winter) but also have the significant benefit of owning a building with a very tall ceiling height and no internal vertical columns. Later we plan on modifying the building, with time and money, to add a garage type door or two, windows and perhaps create a workshop in there. To keep the total cost under control we plan on building it on concrete piers, using barn board for the exterior sheathing and hot-top as interior flooring.

This may sound like an advertisement however I assure you it’s not. Pat is an excellent resource for the front-end work on the structure’s features and overall design. He’ll be our direct factory contact whenever we have an issue that needs clarification. He has even given us a personal cell number to be able to reach him off hours! We’ll need it. (I’ll bet he can’t wait for a call from me at 9:30PM on a Saturday night asking him to define a purlin. And just what is a girt?)

Just this week, a local professional structural engineer and owner of a construction management firm reviewed the advertising material I had received and not only gave the design high marks but is recommending the Miracle Truss product to one of his family members as the basis for a cost effective garage. Since this fellow is often employed as a forensic scientist of sorts called in to determine the root cause of actual building collapses, I really value his professional opinion.

Pat can be reached at 1-800-521-0386.
His e-mail address is: patyentzer@aol.com

Tell him you saw the Miracletruss posts of his product on the TractorByNet web site and perhaps he’ll through in a few girts or purlins in whatever color you want. Whatever they are.

Good luck in your building quest.

tony

/ Anyone built one of these? #14  
I'll try to add the photo again.

tony

Attachments

• 8-68137-StoneOpenDr.jpg
    8-68137-StoneOpenDr.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 147
   / Anyone built one of these?
Please post your experieces as you build the building. Will the barn look like the one you posted a pic of? If you don't mind telling us, how much is it?

mark

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Mark_in_IN on 09/06/01 12:51 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ Anyone built one of these? #16  
I will pay out about $8K for the basic structural elements and design plans. I hope to keep the remainer under $5K.
For 30 x 36 ~ 1000 sqr feet of usable space (about 16K cubic feet of volume) I think it's cost effective. We'll take pictures and post as time goes on. Thanks for the interest.

tony

/ Anyone built one of these? #17  
Mark,
The building will be similar but have red-stained barn board siding with white trim. Roof will be the silver colored Galvalume material (For simplicity and durability) and have the same pitch. I opted for the standard shallower pitch to improve my chances of not falling off the roof while I build it. I'm not fond of heights. In fact we'll likely rent a sissor lift to erect the roof trusses and roof sheething to be safe. Besides it looks like another fun power tool. Wonder if I can get a sissor lift attachment for the 540 PTO?

tony

/ Anyone built one of these? #18  
Mark,
I just completed the construction of a 30X36 building at my soon to be retirement property in the forest/mountain's of Calif. The building we choose was 12ft high at the eves and equipped with sliding doors. See picture #6 of the brochure. Here is a brief description of what I learned as well as what the true cost of the project really was.

Site clearing $600.00
Cost of Building delivered to site was $10,170.00
Cost of wood was $1,500.00 (California Prices)
Cost of concrete slab $12,000.00 High price due to location and required footing depth. This killed the budget and my wife was not very happy.
Cost to rent scissors lift for 1 week was $850.00 delivered. Do not attempt to build one of these buildings without one. These trusses are very heavy and awkward.

I had a crew of 4 people helping me most of the time. We had the building about 80% complete at the 1 week mark. Some of the most time consuming work had to do with the front of the building and the sliding doors. If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone for the roll up door. The framing (track header system) required for the sliding doors were a lot of work and the average person do not have the skills to do this. In addition the wood beams are very heavy, so you need the scissors lift.

My crew of 4 consisted of the following skill levels;

Me, some construction experience but my main field of work is telecommunications.
One brother is a general contractor.
My other brother is in the HVAC field so he knows how to work with metal.
A friend from work who is also in the telecommunications field.

We worked from sun-up to sun-down each day. We worked our ass off, no beer on-site. So if anyone tells you this work can be completed in a couple of weekends, I have some ocean property to sell you in Utah.

I still have the 3' man door to install and a few more screws to install, before I can call for my inspection. All in all I am very happy with the building. But it was more work then I expected or was led to believe.

Some of the things I would recommend to MT to change are as follows;

Nails are provided to fasten the siding. We ended up buying screws and taking the rubber washers off of the nails and putting them on the screws. Nails worked well on the roof, but not the sidewalls.

The Gable trim in the front requires modifications as it does not fit correctly with the sliding doors. I spoke to one of the Engineers at MT and they are aware that this is a problem, but are not going to do anything to fix it. Wrong answer folks, this is not the way to get repeat business. This problem can be avoided if you get the roll up door system.

Well that is all for now, hope this helps
Bob

/ Anyone built one of these? #19  
Bob,
Your input is valuable to me, especially the front door design. My wife and I want to make this structure appear as a circa 1900 wood barn with metal roof, so the twin sliding door is key. A photo of your solution would be quite helpful. I will press the issue with MT.
I intend to use treated or stainless steel scews to secure barn board to the girts.
I too am in the electronics field and have some remodeling and building experience on houses. My wife will be assisting me. She has experience in law. My goal is getting this building up by snowfall here in Massachusetts.
You said you have some ocean property to sell you in Utah?

tony