Anybody used concrete mastic in sub freezing weather?

/ Anybody used concrete mastic in sub freezing weather? #1  

Surgeon

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1428
I have to replace the septic tank lid. I have the concrete replacement lid and the mastic but it is rock hard in sub freezing temps. Will the weight of the lid just settle it or do I need to heat it with the torch? Not to excited about having a torch around tank gas. Any help would be appreciated.

/ Anybody used concrete mastic in sub freezing weather? #2  
Are there directions on the mastic for what temperature range it's good for?
If it's in a bucket, I would put it inside and get it as hot as possible, then apply it when it's as warm as possible (probably today based on the predicted weather for VT), then apply it and set the lid on the tank as quickly as possible.

Aaron Z

/ Anybody used concrete mastic in sub freezing weather? #3  
Is it so cold that if the mastic was at say 100°f it would be frozen again in the few min it would take to spread it and set the lid?

/ Anybody used concrete mastic in sub freezing weather? #4  
Is it so cold that if the mastic was at say 100°f it would be frozen again in the few min it would take to spread it and set the lid?
Looks like it's around 40F up there today, I would try applying it to the tank (which should be a little warmer due to being in the ground) and the set the lid on top of that. You could also run a tank of hot water down the drain to help warm up the liquid in the tank a little.

Aaron Z

/ Anybody used concrete mastic in sub freezing weather? #7  
None of the three concrete septic tanks that I've had experience with had anything to bridge the small gap between the tank and lid. Depending on what product was used I could imagine it making it harder to remove the lid to inspect the tank. Are you planning to seal that gap to stop surface runoff water from getting in, or maybe odors from getting out? For either of those couldn't you wait until summer and do it then? Or use foam rubber backer rod to push into the gap after the lid is in place.

Chris

/ Anybody used concrete mastic in sub freezing weather? #8  
I have to replace the septic tank lid. I have the concrete replacement lid and the mastic but it is rock hard in sub freezing temps. Will the weight of the lid just settle it or do I need to heat it with the torch? Not to excited about having a torch around tank gas. Any help would be appreciated.

And just why do you need to seal a septic tank lid?
Is it under water? pressurized?

/ Anybody used concrete mastic in sub freezing weather? #9  
Looks like it's around 40F up there today, I would try applying it to the tank (which should be a little warmer due to being in the ground) and the set the lid on top of that. You could also run a tank of hot water down the drain to help warm up the liquid in the tank a little.

Aaron Z

I’ll bet I could find 100°f water and could make the mastic warm too.......I guess that’s my point. Don’t start with a cold product. Get the lid ready to install, make the mastic hot, apply quickly and set the lid quickly. Heck I’ll bet he could even figure a way to make the lid 100-200°f in a barn or shop.

/ Anybody used concrete mastic in sub freezing weather? #10  
And just why do you need to seal a septic tank lid?
Is it under water? pressurized?
I think this is the lid that has the holes in it for clean outs (ie: the top of the tank, not the clean out lids).
That is generally sealed to the top of the tank walls

Aaron Z