Anybody use Slick 50?

/ Anybody use Slick 50? #1  

TBone

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L-2501 HST
I noticed that the new synthetic Slick 50 can be used in diesel engines. Has anybody out there used it in their tractor?? I was thinking about giving mine a dose with my next oil change. (I don't use synthetic oil - I use Chevron Dello)

/ Anybody use Slick 50? #2  
I wouldn't waste my money. There are people that swear by it, but there is not one shred of evidence that it does anything useful. I have read articles that state that there is evidence that the teflon can fall out of suspension and plug oil galleys. The FTC forced the maker of Slick 50 to cease and desist from advertizing that it increased the longevity of engines or increased fuel mileage unless they could prove it worked. They couldn't.

/ Anybody use Slick 50? #3  
You may want to do a search on the Internet first. Someone posted a message in a thread on STP last month that there are a number of lawsuits pending against the manufacturers of Slick 50. I have no personal or scientific knowledge about Slick 50, but there's no way I'd put it in one of my engines.

BirdSig.jpg

/ Anybody use Slick 50? #4  
On the same subject, have you heard anything good or bad about the "Prolong" brand of stuff? The infomercials always look so tempting, but I've always stuck to regular maintenance for long engine life. What're your thoughts on engine additives in general?

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-85239-int2500b.jpg

/ Anybody use Slick 50? #5  
<font color=blue>have you heard anything good or bad about the "Prolong" brand of stuff?</font color=blue>

Nothing either way.

<font color=blue>your thoughts on engine additives in general</font color=blue>

My current opinion; a waste of money at best; severe engine damage at worst. As far back as the mid-50s when my dad owned both a service station and an auto parts store and we sold a wide variety of brands to those who requested them; never recommended any, Mobil Oil engineers claimed only two brands would do no damage and none would help unless you had specific problem such as needing to flush sludge out of engine, hydraulic lifters, etc. in one that had NOT been properly maintainted to begin with, in which case the oil companies' "upper lube" would do the same thing.

During my years of fleet management, I had many companies try to sell us various additives, and I've never found anything better than just using the proper API rated oil (petroleum or synthetic), changed regularly, or on a schedule dictated by oil analysis. I said my "current opinion" because I know that new things are being invented, marketed, etc., so it's entirely possible that something could happen to make me change my mind in the future, but I ain't seen it yet./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

BirdSig.jpg

/ Anybody use Slick 50?
Thanks Bird and bgott, I should have read all of the posts I've gotten behind on before posting. After reading the STP post and the links on the lawsuits, I think I will pass on the Slick 50. I change my oil regularly and use Dello Supreme and have never had a problem so I'd better leave well enough alone. Thanks again for the replies. TBone

/ Anybody use Slick 50? #7  
TBone, I'm not sure which oil you're using. According to Chevron's web site, Delo 400 (which I use) is rated for diesels and is NOT a synthetic, while the Chevron Supreme is a synthetic, but NOT rated for diesels. I haven't heard of Delo Supreme; does something exist I don't know about and can't find on their web site?

BirdSig.jpg