Anybody here have much experience with either 3 point or tow backhoe?

/ Anybody here have much experience with either 3 point or tow backhoe? #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
I already have a Case 580CK backhoe. It is pretty worn out but still digs. But it does the digging with a two foot wide bucket. According to the manual it will dig a ditch 14 feet deep. My big backhoe also goes places. It needs big places because it is big. But I have a need to dig narrow ditches that are about two feet deep in places where only a small machine will go.
I did make myself a 6 inch wide bucket that affixes to the dipper and will dig two feet deep. It works OK but there is still the limitation of the big backhoe. And I have already bent the thing. The bucket is welded to a piece of 2 x 2 1/4 wall square tubing and has a 2 x 1/4 piece of rectangular stock welded to back of the square tubing, like a spine, for reinforcement. I bent the square tube anyway. About 90 degrees. Because of all the rocks.
So I keep lusting after a small backhoe with a thumb. I keep seeing pictures of 3 point backhoes on tractors the approximate size as my Yanmar YM2310. And pictures of tow behind excavators.
My soil is glacial till. It is full of rocks of various sizes. A bucket with a thumb removes these rocks much easier than digging them out. I know because I rented a small, about 4 feet wide, tracked excavator that had a thumb. Pulling rocks up and out is way easier and faster than digging them out.
So, does anyone here have any experience with these small machines? I know they will be much slower than my Case and I can live with that. But can they do actual work in rocky soil without extreme frustration?
A tow behind would make for a pretty long machine assembly, but in most places I can live with that. But it seems to me that a tow behind might be trouble because it would be so light it would get tugged around. Unless being hitched to the tractor all the time. This would at least tend to hold it in place when digging a ditch in line with the long axis of the tractor.
A 3 point hitch type would be shorter, easier to transport, and have a little more stability side to side. Or would it? I mean the sideways stability. I think I saw methods of attaching 3 point backhoes that added sideways stability.
So, are these small machines worth looking at? I would love some opinions.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Anybody here have much experience with either 3 point or tow backhoe? #2  
They’re both virtually useless especially in challenging dirt and the 3 point hoes are prone to breaking tractors. They’re more scarce than they used to be but I would look for a small mini x. They make 12” buckets for the 580 though.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Anybody here have much experience with either 3 point or tow backhoe? #3  
I have used backhoes on kubota bx and a Mahindra Max. if you have the time and patience you can get the work done. But I would not use them for any type of work needing to be completed in a timely manner. If working in sandy soil or clay without rocks, these small units work ok.
I currently have a back hoe for a Max 24 and I have to wait for the right moisture conditions in the soil for certain applications before it can be productive. Sometimes that window of oppurtunity is very narrow for excavating in rocky conditions.
The break out force and stability of a mini excavator will allow them to run circles around a small backhoe.

/ Anybody here have much experience with either 3 point or tow backhoe? #4  
The break out force and stability of a mini excavator will allow them to run circles around a small backhoe.
It’s not just that. It’s faster hydraulic, more reach, 360 swing, better controls, and the ability to move without changing seats. Plus a lot of them have hydraulic thumbs where that’s rare on a backhoe.

/ Anybody here have much experience with either 3 point or tow backhoe? #5  
Modern day tractors are two light duty, needing additional iron (sub frames) to handle backhoe. tractors in the 50's - 70's didn't have sub frame hoes. I have a ford4000 with extendable lift arms for my 1200# backhoe. Somtimes you can connect it in 15 min. next time almost an hour. Several tube videos showing minix can work faster than a hoe.
20200604_150901.jpg

Bush Hog made this one about 12 years ago.

/ Anybody here have much experience with either 3 point or tow backhoe? #6  
Modern day tractors are two light duty, needing additional iron (sub frames) to handle backhoe. tractors in the 50's - 70's didn't have sub frame hoes. I have a ford4000 with extendable lift arms for my 1200# backhoe. Somtimes you can connect it in 15 min. next time almost an hour. Several tube videos showing minix can work faster than a hoe.
View attachment 726396
Bush Hog made this one about 12 years ago.
I think ours is a 962H. It beats the heck out of a shovel.

/ Anybody here have much experience with either 3 point or tow backhoe? #7  
My friend has one of the little towable units. His daughter calls it a "Tonka Toy". He had to put 100 ft trench in this fall and rented a trencher.

But heck some folks love them. Beat a shovel.

Watch some YouTube videos of them.

/ Anybody here have much experience with either 3 point or tow backhoe? #8  
I have seen far too many times, 3pt backhoes breaking the tractor at the top link mount. The top link is bolted onto the transmission housing, which is cast metal, and during certain types of work creating torsional stresses, like digging rocks out, will possibly crack that transmission housing. Best to stay in the subframe mounting world of tractor backhoes.

/ Anybody here have much experience with either 3 point or tow backhoe? #9  
Have a John D 8A backhoe mounted as a 3 point. It has worked fine for years. It has 2 3/4 inch rods mounted to the top plate of the backhoe to the frame of the tractor so the top link does not get loaded much. Do not use it much after getting a minix but it works just fine.

/ Anybody here have much experience with either 3 point or tow backhoe? #10  
I have seen far too many times, 3pt backhoes breaking the tractor at the top link mount. The top link is bolted onto the transmission housing, which is cast metal, and during certain types of work creating torsional stresses, like digging rocks out, will possibly crack that transmission housing. Best to stay in the subframe mounting world of tractor backhoes.
I know someone who broke his off. Cost him 12 grand for the lesson. If it's not a subframe mount I'd steer clear of it.