Anybody growing mushrooms? What's a good forum?

/ Anybody growing mushrooms? What's a good forum? #11  
So easy, a 7 year old can do it.... with a little help from mom and dad.

/ Anybody growing mushrooms? What's a good forum? #12  
@newbury Sounds like fun!

Although, if it were me. I would double check that shiitakes grow on sweet gum. ...
Yes, it works fine with Sweetgum. Been there and used it...

We used to teach a hands on class. Students would inoculate their own logs and take them home. We have several logs that are still producing. Mainly in the spring and fall... we let mother nature do it's thing and we check them from time to time. With big "flushes" we'll get 10 pounds but now it's just a few here and there.

What questions do you have? You need to "harvest" the logs before the leaves come out, so early spring was when we had the classes.

Last edited:
   / Anybody growing mushrooms? What's a good forum? #13  
I'm especially intrigued in using sweetgum. It's a nice tree but is a pain to keep straight for lumber.
As "old and tired" said gum will work, but expect to replace the logs more frequently than Oak. We used Oak as the hardwood would last for three to five years. My friend has a disability so we used much smaller diameter logs than most so he could lift them into the soaking tubs. As "O & T" said you have to get the logs before the sap rises.

Like all agriculture growing mushrooms is not a sure thing. You may inoculate a few logs and get plenty of product or you may get nothing. He grew hundreds of pounds of Shitakes every year and then for some unknown reason they just failed to produce at all for one year, even the logs that had produced the year before. A couple of years later and the logs are now producing again even though he no longer manages the system.

/ Anybody growing mushrooms? What's a good forum? #14  
In the way-back times, I used shellbark hickory to decent results.

My little backyard setup, I eventually tired of the soak cycle, dunking logs, restacking waterlogged logs😜, all that. If I was going to do it again I'd scale up, to where all was palletized or some such.

Or investigate new small scale methods I'm not aware of, like the tube and cardboard someone mentioned above, or maybe chip bed.