Anybody Got a Spader?

/ Anybody Got a Spader? #1  

wstr75

Gold Member
Am considering getting a spader but with it being a rare thing here in the USA would love to hear if it is worth the cost. Anybody here got a spader? Are you happy with it? How deep does it till? Does it turn under/incorporate ground cover well? I understand you can run it when the soil is wet (not have to wait to get into a field), is that true? Has it made you a fantastic farmer/gardener or are you still waiting for that to happen? ;)

Seriously, would like to hear about your experiences with a spader as from what I have read they appear to be the ticket for optimal tillage. Also, is your spader the Italian type (Cellini, Salvatici, Gramegna, Tortella) with reciprocating spades or the Dutch type (Imants) with rotating blades?

Appreciate any comments you have.
Bill in NC

Last edited:
   / Anybody Got a Spader? #2  
Don't want to sound negative but if it doesn't work out I think your money would be hard to recoup. I would suggest a high end tiller instead capable of more depth. I would skip the machanical linkage nightmare.

/ Anybody Got a Spader?
I have experience with tillers. They are good news and bad news. The bad news is they make a hard pan as the tine sweeps underneath like a butter knife swipes across a piece of bread. They tell me spaders are the ticket for avoiding hard pan creation and keeping the soil structure intact while still opening up the soil for cultivation and working in the surface cover.

Bill in NC

/ Anybody Got a Spader? #5  
I have a Tortella 4ft 6 spade model. I absolutely love this machine! The soil greatly benefits from its use. Around my parts the soil is silty-sand so when you disk then till as soon as it rains the ground crusts. (increasing the soil's organic matter helps a great deal with this). However, since using the spader the soil stays tilthy longer and is fluffed up to a greater depth. It does primary and secondary tillage in one pass. It breaks up hard-pans and does not contribute to compaction. I hope this helps.

/ Anybody Got a Spader?
JCD 830, thanks for the information about your spader and the effect on your soil. I have some questions for you:
1. What hp does your spader require?
2. What depth is your spader working? Is the depth adjustable?
3. How long do your spades/replaceable points last?
4. Where did you get your spader?

Thanks a million for helping me with these questions.
Bill in NC

/ Anybody Got a Spader? #7  
Hey JCD

Could you drop me an email? If you don't mind I'd like to take a look at this machine my next trip that direction (I don't come often; maybe a coupla times a year). I have a daughter that lives the other side of Conroe (near Cleveland) & Prairie View wouldn't be far outa the way.

Thanks!

Lew near Waco

lew@lewslittlefarm.com

/ Anybody Got a Spader? #8  
Bill:
1. What hp does your spader require?
I'm running mine on a lil bitty JD 790, which is about 29 HP. Spaders are interesting because it reciprocates on a stagger. So basically when each spade hits the ground it hits with the full amount of HP the tractor has available as opposed to a tiller which the energy is dispersed through several tines. The spades slip under the soil and pop it up, no matter if its clay, unbroken ground or what. So exact requirements I dunno.
2. What depth is your spader working? Is the depth adjustable?
I went out to the fields to check this answer with t-post and tape measure. On previously spaded ground=10 inches, on newly spaded ground= 7-10 inches. To compare, fields maintained by our farm crew with the big tractors and disks= 6-8 inches.
The depth is adjusted by skids on the sides, I havent messed with them.
3. How long do your spades/replaceable points last?
I havent had to replace them and I have hit rocks and t-posts, it just lifts the spader from the soil. I've had it for about 3 years and have had no problems with it.
4. Where did you get your spader?
I got mine from a guy in California who overcharged me. There is a guy in TX who sells them that I'll go to if I have need for a larger spader. Its an underground kinda implement so they are hard to find, but well worth the effort. Email me at jcd830@hotmail.com if you want the contact info.

Justin

/ Anybody Got a Spader? #10  
Thanks! I'll check them out. BTW I graduated from TAMU (College Station) in 1991 at the ripe old age of 48.

Lew