Anybody ever have a well fracked?

/ Anybody ever have a well fracked? #1  

77cruiser

Tractor
X485 John Deere Allis Chalmers B 1938
Last summer I had another well drilled, 275' deep & ended up with a 1 1/2 GPM.
I was hoping for something close to my other well that's about 250 ft. away.
That one is 110' deep, 8' to rock, new one 275' deep & 50' to rock.

/ Anybody ever have a well fracked? #2  
Neighbor did and it was a helluva mess. Fracker had to repaint the entire house.

/ Anybody ever have a well fracked? #3  
Unbelievable and couldn't imagine some of the water troubles a lot of the US has and the costs and aggrevation you have to over come.

Where I am I pump from a 100' well (pump set at 60') 1,000+ gallons per hour for 24 hours straight and don't run out. I feel for you guys.

/ Anybody ever have a well fracked?
Where I am I pump from a 100' well (pump set at 60') 1,000+ gallons per hour for 24 hours straight and don't run out. I feel for you guys.
That's how my 100' ft. well is, it will put out at least 600 gal. per hr.

/ Anybody ever have a well fracked? #5  
The well driller in Westcliffe CO spoke of it. If you have invested $50k in a dry hole, then its one more option to fracture some rock to provide a pathway for some water. Apparently has been used successfully for water wells. A different mud used compared to what is used in gas wells, since it cant be toxic, but has to contain sand to keep the fractures open when the pressure is reduced and still provide a pathway for the water.

/ Anybody ever have a well fracked? #6  
In rock wells fracking can sometimes make a big improvement. It is sometimes just a crap shoot as to weather it will work or not, but if the well is not producing as it is, it is usually worth a try.

I have no idea what fracking a well would have to do with needing to repaint a house?

/ Anybody ever have a well fracked? #7  
Back in my misspent youth, my uncle showed me how to fracture rock down hole with dynamite. Sometimes it took more than one application. Generally pretty messy, because water shot out out the top of the column.

We did one deep well explosively in Las Vegas, and it worked pretty well. But it was done by licensed blasters, helping the drillers crew. And it was about 1000-ft deep with a static level of about 250-ft. Just really slow production.

I doubt it would have been viable, had we been anywhere near, buildings or infrastructure.

/ Anybody ever have a well fracked? #8  
My earliest memory is of looking through the windshield of a pickup and feeling/watching water and debris fly straight up out of a well that was being drilled by my grandfather. Back then you could buy dynamite at the feed store. It was a common thing for my grandfather to use when his old spudder (cable tool) drilling rig hit a rock he couldn't pound through. Couldn't have been much more than three years old. It must have made a big impression because 60 years later I am still in the water well business and still like seeing things blow up. Lol!

/ Anybody ever have a well fracked?
Back in my misspent youth, my uncle showed me how to fracture rock down hole with dynamite. Sometimes it took more than one application. Generally pretty messy, because water shot out out the top of the column.

We did one deep well explosively in Las Vegas, and it worked pretty well. But it was done by licensed blasters, helping the drillers crew. And it was about 1000-ft deep with a static level of about 250-ft. Just really slow production.

I doubt it would have been viable, had we been anywhere near, buildings or infrastructure.
That thought about dynamite had crossed my mind. Not gonna though.

/ Anybody ever have a well fracked? #10  
My well is 360ft deep. When you look down it, it looks like a rifle bore. Smooth granite all the way down. When the well was drilled, they hit water at 260 but kept going to make a reservoir. The well produced 5 gallons per minute.

When we bought the home we had the well tested. The water was very clean, good tasting, but only produced 3 gallons per minute. We had the well tested in April, during the spring, when it rains.

That summer the well went dry on us a few times. We were watering the lawn and using water like we did living in suburbia, on grid water. We would shut off the pump breaker and let it sit for several hours or overnight. That usually let it fill back up, slowly. I got tired of this and decided to call a well/pump company to come take a look. Now, its September, when it doesn't rain.

He ran the well down and used a sounder to measure the recharge rate. 8th-of-a-gallon-per-minute! "That's a dry hole" he said.

He suggested a pump saver, a device that will sense the increase in electrical current when the pump runs dry, and shuts off power for a set amount of time. This way the pump won't burn itself up.

I called a local fracker that my neighbor suggested. When he used the fracker, he got his well up to 9gpm! That's an amazing amount of water! I was envious and called the fracker immediately. The company came out twice, once to assess the well, and a final time to do the fracking. They used Co2 and packers to over pressure the well to some ridiculous amount. Apparently, carbonic acid is produced and will dissolve the minerals blocking the fractures in the granite, allowing more water to flow.

We had carbonated water for several days!

But it worked!! Our water went up to 10GPM!! YAY!! We had water! I loved timing myself filling up a 5 gallon bucket, and feeling the pressure my "dry hole" well was producing. $5,000 well spent!

But it didn't last. Our water turned orange with rust, and went back down to 8thGMP. Sad days. The fracker came back out to assess the well again. He figures they 'tapped into an underground reservoir with some iron ore.' Gosh, really?! At this point though, they said they are complete, and nothing more can be done. I need a new well. Well... that $20,000 just for a hole, not including electrical, and that's not a guarantee of water.

So I was left with high iron content and a low producing well. It is seasonal. And after a $5,000 water filtration system to filter the iron, and a $7,000 - 3,000 gallon cistern, we live pretty comfortably. We can irrigate some, do our laundry, etc. I have a water truck that I use for emergencies, including fire.

Based on my experiences, its a gamble. You could get tons of water for years to come simply by fracking the well, or you could end up like me. No more water, good water turned bad, and had to pay for it.