Any scuba divers out there?

/ Any scuba divers out there? #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
Any other Scuba divers out there? My wife and i just came back from a three week diving trip to two places in the Fijian Islands and had a great time.

/ Any scuba divers out there? #2  
Yep. I'm certified. I got certified by Navy/PADI divers on Pearl Harbor when I lived in Hawaii, 10 years ago. I had some great dives out there... Shark's Cove, The Trench, Three Tables, Electric Beach, Makaha Caverns and even dove Ko-Olina Cove. There are other names, but I forget them now...have to go up and grab my dive log to get all the names.

I won't dive salt water anymore...my last dive was a nightmare...had an encounter with a 7' blacktip. He wanted the parrot-fish I had just speared more than I did.:eek: I was soon to leave the island anyhow, so it was no sweat. I may dive again one-day in salt water, but I won't be spearfishing when I do!

I had some great dives in NW Florida too. A place called Morrison Springs and another called Vortex Springs. Great diving, but I want to take an advanced course before I go back into the mouth of caves. My buddy and I wouldn't go in past the opening, even though it was lit with a huge guide wire to guide you. Just not my cup-o-tea.

I've got some great gear. Zeagle Tech BC and Atomic Aquatics T1/T2 reg. My dive computer is Oceanic. Mask and snorkel is US Diver and my fins are Blades.

Did you take any pics? Fiji...always wanted to go there, never made it:rolleyes:

Podunk

ps. I checked out your bikes...I love the R1 and the Bonnie is a classic. I used to ride sportbikes...had a 1986 Honda VFR750, totalled it (young and dumb at the time) took a long hiatus, then in 2003 bought a new GSXR 750. Then in 2005, bought a new ZX-10R. That 10 was MEAN. I had a lot of mods on them both. Had a Yosh full system on the 750. Had an Akro slip-on on the 10. TRE's, BMC on the 10, K&N on the 7fitty. PCIII USB on the 10, had it dialed in...never put one on the 750. Steering damper on the 10 was GPR...too many other things to list...

Last edited:
   / Any scuba divers out there? #3  
Hi, both my wife and I dive. We normally manage at least two trips a year. We are off to Bonaire for our second time in May, we found so far Bonaire is the best for us. We have been diving for about 10 years now, and always are looking for a way to get to warm water. We got certified in cold water in VA, but now we have grown to be 80/80 divers... lol. 80 degrees temp and 80 feet vis.

/ Any scuba divers out there? #4  
I use to dive alot, i was a certified instructor. I don't dive so much anymore,,, that thing called responsibility stepped in. I have a long commute to work with long hours so not much time for diving anymore.

Podunkadunk if you want to come for a visit in Canada we can go upto Tobermory no salt water there. But it is alittle cold okay really cold if you are down 100' it is 32degres even in the summer. But the ship wreaks are awesome.

Kingston Ontario has some beautiful wrecks aswell.

I never got into ice diving [that to is on my list of ways not to die] but i did do some cave diving in N Florida It was just stunning. You could see about 200'

Shane

/ Any scuba divers out there? #5  
rtdiggr said:
Podunkadunk if you want to come for a visit in Canada we can go upto Tobermory no salt water there. But it is alittle cold okay really cold if you are down 100' it is 32degres even in the summer. But the ship wreaks are awesome.Shane

That's far too cold for me! My lips turn blue doing multiple dives throughout the day...in 80 degree water! Even in Hawaii, I'd be the only guy diving with an 8mm suit and still get cold. I'd get funny looks every time.

Thanks for the offer though:D

/ Any scuba divers out there? #6  
rtdiggr said:
I use to dive alot, i was a certified instructor. I don't dive so much anymore,,, that thing called responsibility stepped in.

I was an instructor as well, however I gave up diving because I fell in love with whitewater kayaking:)

Never forget the time when I was working my way up the certification "ladder". Training for rescue diving, when I had to "subdue" the subject, I ended up losing the guys mask. Five of us out in the water couldn't find it. Turns out it was a prescription lens mask, ended up costing me over $100 (a lot at that time).

Diving in strip mines not being able to see your hand in front of your face during the middle of the day really makes you appreciate the water down south.

Podunkadunk, if diving in cold water and all you have is a wet suit, just drink LOTS of liquids before your dive:D

Last edited:
   / Any scuba divers out there? #7  
Sigarms said:
I was an instructor as well, however I gave up diving because I fell in love with whitewater kayaking:)

Never forget the time when I was working my way up the certification "ladder". Training for rescue diving, when I had to "subdue" the subject, I ended up losing the guys mask. Five of us out in the water couldn't find it. Turns out it was a prescription lens mask, ended up costing me over $100 (a lot at that time).

Diving in strip mines not being able to see your hand in front of your face during the middle of the day really makes you appreciate the water down south.

I have done a few of those dives where you could not see your hand in front of your face not fun and not good if you are claustrophobic [which i am not].

Shane

/ Any scuba divers out there? #8  
Podunkadunk said:
That's far too cold for me! My lips turn blue doing multiple dives throughout the day...in 80 degree water! Even in Hawaii, I'd be the only guy diving with an 8mm suit and still get cold. I'd get funny looks every time.

Thanks for the offer though:D

Cold that's not cold, 32degress on the surface,wearing a dry suit and having to put vaseline on your face and just hoping your face goes numb quickly, now that's cold. but i loved it. Man was i silly back then, i can't see myself doing that now.:eek:

Shane

/ Any scuba divers out there? #9  
rtdiggr said:
Cold that's not cold, 32degress on the surface,wearing a dry suit and having to put vaseline on your face and just hoping your face goes numb quickly, now that's cold. but i loved it. Man was i silly back then, i can't see myself doing that now.:eek:

Hey, it gets cold when you can't take off your dry suit because the zippers are all frozen solid, and you have to jump in your vehicle with the heater going on at full blast just to thaw out the zippers to get undressed. Been there, done that. Funny, I look at those times with fond memories, but for some reason, no way in H E double toothpicks will I do it now:D

Does that mean I'm getting smarter or lazy in my "old age"?

/ Any scuba divers out there? #10  
Sigarms said:
Does that mean I'm getting smarter or lazy in my "old age"?

You said it yourself...

People don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing