Any reason I can't run the Woods BB720X bushhog with Kubota L4330?

/ Any reason I can't run the Woods BB720X bushhog with Kubota L4330? #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
I put together the attached spreadsheet to try to find out the best bushhog for me and my L4330 tractor (40 hp/36 PTO).

In addition to normal bushhogging operations, I plan to clear out about 30 acres of woods of various types and sizes of underbrush and small trees (up to 3" or so).

Looking at the spreadsheet, it would appear to me that the Woods BB720X would best fit that role: 1,200 lbs, 30-120 HP requirements (I *assume* that is PTO HP) with a 3" cutting capacity. For me, heavier would be better than lighter.

Looking at the spreadsheet and knowing what you know, is the BB720X a good choice or is there another and better, alternative?

Thanks,

/ Any reason I can't run the Woods BB720X bushhog with Kubota L4330? #2  
I have a BB720 that is 6+ years old. Don't know what the change that got the "X'" put on it is however. I run mine with a bit more power than you have, but if your tractor can handle it you will not be disappointed. It is a great cutter and does an amazing job on stuff that you would never think it can handle. The slip clutch is, IMO, mandatory in heavy brush and wood debris.

/ Any reason I can't run the Woods BB720X bushhog with Kubota L4330? #3  
One thing to keep in mind, mid 30's horsepower is at the bottom end of the required horsepower scale, Even heavy grass is going to require slow going and in some cases taking less than a full swath with the mower deck.
As for 3 inch cutting capacity, while the bush hog may have that capability, that doesnt mean the rated tractor horsepower will have the same potential.

/ Any reason I can't run the Woods BB720X bushhog with Kubota L4330? #4  
I have the BB84 on a 88 hp tractor and it runs great. You might want to take a look at the BB72, it would be a much better fit for your size tractor. It's not as heavy but don't get too caught up in the 3" versus 2" cutting maximum, your tractor won't handle much of that any how. Cut those down with a chain saw. Remember, you would have to push it over to be able to back over it to cut it.

/ Any reason I can't run the Woods BB720X bushhog with Kubota L4330? #5  
I have the BB720 on my 3720, 35hp PTO. Very good match for grass, small 1-2" trees, and light brush. I was mowing 1-2" trees 4' at a pass, albeit slow. I cut 7-10 acres of light brush and poplars/cottonwoods up to 12' tall this summer. A little more grunt would be nice for that task, the RPMS fall off fast when you bite a little too much. I also took out a few 3" + trees. Those went one tree at a time and are in my opinion in the "more than I should have" category. I'd usually end up shredding the top of the tree, but leaving a 4' or so long uprooted trunk laying on the ground.

/ Any reason I can't run the Woods BB720X bushhog with Kubota L4330?
I have the BB720 on my 3720, 35hp PTO. Very good match for grass, small 1-2" trees, and light brush. I was mowing 1-2" trees 4' at a pass, albeit slow. I cut 7-10 acres of light brush and poplars/cottonwoods up to 12' tall this summer. A little more grunt would be nice for that task, the RPMS fall off fast when you bite a little too much. I also took out a few 3" + trees. Those went one tree at a time and are in my opinion in the "more than I should have" category. I'd usually end up shredding the top of the tree, but leaving a 4' or so long uprooted trunk laying on the ground.

Your 3720 is a pretty good match for my L4330, according to Tractor Data.com.

Very useful input, your experience tells me that the BB720X is on the very edge of doable vs. "won't work" or "won't work well". I appreciate it!

Thanks,

/ Any reason I can't run the Woods BB720X bushhog with Kubota L4330? #7  
What did you go with, and how has it worked out? I have a L4330 with the old style bb72 and was looking to upgrade to a bb720.