Any Pilots On Here??

/ Any Pilots On Here?? #121  
If you are fearful and apprehensive during your first flight I believe you can be an excellent pilot. If you disregarded risk and safety, and wanted to grab the controls .... well, probably not.

Congratulations on taking the step! If you do a few more lessons you'll probably become more comfortable. But if it's not for you, there are plenty of other ways to ditch that excess cash!! :laughing:

/ Any Pilots On Here??
You'll be fine. Give it a few hours and you'll relax. Next time your up trim the airplane for level flight and let go of the controls. You'll find a trimmed airplane wants to fly and really takes very little interaction from the pilot. I think sometimes new people don't realize this and feel like it takes some super skill by the pilot to keep the airplane flying. That isn't the case.

He showed me that...It was on take with the wind kind making the rear end a little slippery. Once we got up it wasn't too bad.....dumb question...when we pitch up (climb) can I just look at the dash board and nothing else maybe to help my nerves? Also he was telling me so much stuff. Not a chance in **** I would try one of those speed schools unless I already had several hours under my belt cause it looks like the first...not sure how many it will take....hour will just be me learning to relax, much less pilot. The landing did not scare me at all. Slowing down was fine....just getting higher was a little nerve racking...so I can understand your comment about passengers not wanting to get way way on up in altitude...makes total sense.

Is he right? Is that 150 going to be all over the place and unstable? If so, what is so easy about flying them?

/ Any Pilots On Here?? #123  
No, a 150 won't be all over the place. First, understand that most days are bumpy during the middle of the day. If there are the common afternoon cumulus clouds know that it will bumpy under those clouds. 95% of the time it's smooth as silk above those clouds. It's like riding in a boat. Those occasions that are smooth as silk make all the bumpy times worth it. It won't always be bumpy. I've seen times that I was indicating 182 mph in the Bonanza and it was so smooth it felt like I was sitting still. Give it some time and you'll get used to all those new sensations.

This would be a good time to understand why it is generally bumpy in the afternoon. Try researching that. I'll give you a clue.....the sun is a big part of it. Learning things like this you will forever look at your world with a better understanding of weather.

/ Any Pilots On Here?? #125  
I think it is best if you share your observations with your instructor, and let the instructor guide you. I have some suggestions about how to be a bit more comfortable, but I don't want to suggest something at odds with your instructor. Initial apprehension is normal. If you didn't have it that would be a red flag.

/ Any Pilots On Here?? #127  
I did a discovery flight and didn’t really care for it. Granted I didn’t know the instructor and it was very jerky. Now that I fly with my father in law I love it. The discovery was in a c172sp. My FIL has a c210 centurion. It’ll cruise at 200 and is just fun to fly. Even trimmed out the c172 seemed like much more work

Brett

/ Any Pilots On Here?? #128  
Ha, ha, ha.........they made the 35 series V tail Bonanza from 1947 to 1982! How many years of production would it have taken to have "caught on"?

People that say negative things about V tail Bonanzas are people that have not flown and maintained them!

The issue with control surface balance is related to paint and has nothing to do with corrosion.

You missed my point entirely too.

It was a neat idea, but it didn't catch on. That's not debatable.

You can't even buy a Bonanza with a V-tail.

/ Any Pilots On Here?? #129  
Small light airplanes do not have the same "penetration" through turbulent air as big commercial jets. The smaller and lighter the plane, the more "kite like" it will be. The most obvious solution is to schedule instruction for early morning until you have more experience. There is a big difference between 7am and 2pm.... CFI's tend to be poorly paid people who are working on expensive more advanced ratings and their ATP tickets... If you are lucky you might get an instructor who is semi retired....

So I went up today fellers......Piper 180. Sure hope I get used to the slippery feeling....shew...I forgot I am a little fearful of heights......and my pilot said that lil c150 will be all over the place big time...... I cannot imagine me ever operating the controls...just can't imagine.....maybe tomorrow for my first lesson my nerves will settle? Who knows......but a bit nervous... I had a death grip on the bottom of that seat lol.....I was looking for a big bar or something to hold on to...haha. Well....we shall see....not sure I am cut out for it....

/ Any Pilots On Here?? #130  
I give you the Waiex B from Sonex Aircraft :
WXB_air-to-air_5086-20.jpg

There is also the "SubSonex", currently the only jet powered kit airplane you can buy.
SubSonex_6534.jpg

All brand new and not falling from the sky or requiring advanced pilot skills....

You missed my point entirely too.

It was a neat idea, but it didn't catch on. That's not debatable.

You can't even buy a Bonanza with a V-tail.