Any other Kubota's power steering "hit a stop" for a moment?

/ Any other Kubota's power steering "hit a stop" for a moment? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
Sometimes when steering, the steering wheel sort of "bumps" against a "stop" for just a split second ... like I've turned the front wheels against something that's stopped them cold, but then a microsecond later all is good again & low effort steering resumes & returns to normal.

I'm one to not run the RPMs up at full PTO speed (meaning I actually never have), which is about 2,600 I think, so maybe I'm lugging it too much?

Lately I've been bush hogging & pushing trees over with the FEL (I'll just leave the BH running), & of course turning, sometimes all at the same time. Maybe I'm just over-taxing the hydraulics? I haven't been able to make this "problem" happen on purpose yet, just encounter it sometimes.

/ Any other Kubota's power steering "hit a stop" for a moment? #2  
Only on my BX when lifting the MMM and turning, never on our L5030 or M8540 and we often run them well below the PTO RPM.

/ Any other Kubota's power steering "hit a stop" for a moment? #3  
I have had the EXACT same thing happen on my L3540 which is practically new. Its like a microsecond jam in the steering, usually happened when i was using auto throttle and steering as i hit the hst pedal... yet i can never make it happen on purpose.... may consider calling the dealer if it gets irritating as I only have 25 hrs so far.

/ Any other Kubota's power steering "hit a stop" for a moment?
I have had the EXACT same thing happen on my L3540 which is practically new. Its like a microsecond jam in the steering, usually happened when i was using auto throttle and steering as i hit the hst pedal... yet i can never make it happen on purpose.... may consider calling the dealer if it gets irritating as I only have 25 hrs so far.

Alright, well, my dealer has always responded to these types of questions, so I'll copy my post & paste it into an email to him ... & post back here with his response.

/ Any other Kubota's power steering "hit a stop" for a moment? #5  
It sounds like you may be getting a quick drop in hydraulic pressure.

/ Any other Kubota's power steering "hit a stop" for a moment? #6  
So Im not crazy...we have a L5740 at work and it does this aswell. idel and WOT. Be interested in what you learn.

/ Any other Kubota's power steering "hit a stop" for a moment? #7  
So Im not crazy...we have a L5740 at work and it does this aswell. idel and WOT. Be interested in what you learn.

Alright, well, my dealer has always responded to these types of questions, so I'll copy my post & paste it into an email to him ... & post back here with his response.

Please do and let us know... Obviously this isnt an isolated occurance and you have raised my interest as well. Thanks.

/ Any other Kubota's power steering "hit a stop" for a moment? #8  
Sometimes when steering, the steering wheel sort of "bumps" against a "stop" for just a split second ... like I've turned the front wheels against something that's stopped them cold, but then a microsecond later all is good again & low effort steering resumes & returns to normal.

I'm one to not run the RPMs up at full PTO speed (meaning I actually never have), which is about 2,600 I think, so maybe I'm lugging it too much?

Lately I've been bush hogging & pushing trees over with the FEL (I'll just leave the BH running), & of course turning, sometimes all at the same time. Maybe I'm just over-taxing the hydraulics? I haven't been able to make this "problem" happen on purpose yet, just encounter it sometimes.

I believe it is because you are loosing hydraulic flow to the steering circuit.
I doubt anything is wrong just a symptom of a undersized system.

/ Any other Kubota's power steering "hit a stop" for a moment? #9  
I believe it is because you are loosing hydraulic flow to the steering circuit.
I doubt anything is wrong just a symptom of a undersized system.

I would agree other than the fact i never demanded anything else from the hyd system... I was just accelerating off idle while tuning the wheel... Dont know why that would cause a drop spike in pressure... Very curios to hear his dealers response as mine doesnt seem to give a poo about trivial things like that.

/ Any other Kubota's power steering "hit a stop" for a moment? #10  
I would agree other than the fact i never demanded anything else from the hyd system... I was just accelerating off idle while tuning the wheel... Dont know why that would cause a drop spike in pressure... Very curios to hear his dealers response as mine doesnt seem to give a poo about trivial things like that.

I have had the same symptom on various machines from my Kubota to a 250hp tractor. Usually it is when there is a demand on the hydraulics but, not always with the Kubota's. Thats why I would say the hydraulics are undersized.