Any opinions?

/ Any opinions? #1  

LostInTheWoods

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Anyone have experience with this style of grease gun, or any thoughts as to whether this would be a good alternative to a pricier powered grease gun?

I already have a cordless drill, and spending $50 on one of these, vs. $200+ on a powered gun seems tempting.

Any thoughts appreciated.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200421463_200421463

Last edited:
   / Any opinions?
Pic of gun...

Attachments

• 483700_lg.jpg
    483700_lg.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 157
   / Any opinions? #3  
Looks like it would be heavy and Do you have an air compressor? Those are the best and easiest to use and dump the rubber flex hose for a curved metal one. Then you wont have to use a hand to hold rubber one on fitting.
DevilDog

/ Any opinions?
Devildog:

I have an air compressor. Let's say, just for the benefit of others on here that might need help,that I've never used a grease gun. Never held one. Never seen one other than in pictures.

Not true, of course, ;) but maybe this discussion will help someone else.

Do you need to have a regulator on your air line for one of those? Or do you just crank up the pressure to level the gun requires, and pump away?

Is there anything else required?

Thanks!

/ Any opinions? #5  
Dump the flexible hose and go with solid metal. Had a friend whose hose broke and he squirted grease into his palm. Very messy infection and surgeries to fix. As an A & P Mechanic I would never utilize a flexible hose without wearing a kevlar glove or similar.

/ Any opinions? #6  
Flexible hoses have been out there since the earth cooled and there is almost never a problem with them. You have a better chance of being in a runaway Toyota than getting injured with a flexible grease hose. I run almost a case a week through my Lincoln pistol grip with a flexible hose. I have never had a hose burst, just gotta keep your eye on it.

OP, do you really do that much greasing that you can't pump a grease gun? If you do, then this unit you show won't last anyway. Go with the Lincoln that sits on a 55 gallon drum. That unit looks sooo front heavy anyone would have a hard time holding it up.

/ Any opinions? #7  
Do you need to have a regulator on your air line for one of those? Or do you just crank up the pressure to level the gun requires, and pump away?

Is there anything else required?

Thanks!
No regulators needed for my air compressor, 240 v X 130 psi and go. The reasons I like the curved metal one is it make it a one hand operation, easiest when greasing FEL's and Backhoe fittings.
DevilDog

/ Any opinions? #8  
I have agree with Wyane County, I grease my own vehicles, trailers, and equipment as well and I use a simple pistol grip gun with a flexible hose, cheap and effective. If I needed it everyday or made my living working in that type of environment where I would use it more frequently, I would break down and buy pneumatic one. IMO save your money and use a manual grease gun.

/ Any opinions? #9  
I've spent allot of money on air grease guns and have come to the conclusion that they are all junk. I've bought Lincoln, Sears, Napa, Northern and a few other brands that escape me right now. If I'm lucky, I can get a year out of it and a dozen cases of grease through it. Some don't last a dozen tubes of grease. While I'm open to the idea that it's just me, and I'm doing something wrong, I've also realized that air greas guns are not worth the hassle or expense of owning them.

Getting the hose out and fighting it is a pain. Putting it away is a pain.

Getting halfway through a tube of grease and getting an air pocket in the tube is a pain. Opening it up and getting it to work again is a pain.

I prefer solid tubes over flexible ones, but I need both. I kept the air guns with a solid tube and a hand pump with a flexible one. Now I have two hand pump grease guns. One with a solid tube and one with a flexible one. I don't have air pocket issues, I don't fight the grease to get it to work and I don't mess around with an air hose.

In trying to find a faster, easier way to grease my tractors, and I have three plus a dump truck, I spent more time and energy then just grabbing a grease gun and getting it over with.

I still might try a cordless gun, but really want to try it out from somebody who has one before spending the money on it and being disapointed.

I never seen the cordless drill model before. I wonder how it works? Does it create a vacume to suck the grease out? or does it work on the spinning of the drill to drive the grease out? If it's a direct drive type of action, I might be interested. It seems to me that would be foolproof if the parts were of decent quality. The weight might be an issue, but then I could easily use two hands for most of it and move right along.

I'm also curious if somebody has bought it and how it's worked out for them.

Eddie

/ Any opinions? #10  
Flexible hoses have been out there since the earth cooled and there is almost never a problem with them. You have a better chance of being in a runaway Toyota than getting injured with a flexible grease hose. I run almost a case a week through my Lincoln pistol grip with a flexible hose. I have never had a hose burst, just gotta keep your eye on it.

OP, do you really do that much greasing that you can't pump a grease gun? If you do, then this unit you show won't last anyway. Go with the Lincoln that sits on a 55 gallon drum. That unit looks sooo front heavy anyone would have a hard time holding it up.

:thumbsup: I have seen to many times a plain metal end would not make a certain zerk. And if you blow a hose on a hand pump grease gun, you either have a bad hose, or defective grease gun cause mine will only build up so much pressure. Wayne is right unless you have a physical handicap of what nature, do not waste the green backs unless you grease maybe an hour a day.