Any More Shaft Drives?

/ Any More Shaft Drives? #1  

rau2009sch

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT 2550
I cannot tell from the Cub Cadet web site, but do they make shaft drive lawn/garden tractors any more?

/ Any More Shaft Drives? #2  
Yes, definitely. My 2015 XT3 is shaft drive. The deck is no longer shaft driven, like my 2004 3235, but belt driven. I'm not sure abput the XT1 and XT2 series.

Bob B.

/ Any More Shaft Drives? #3  
Yes, definitely. My 2015 XT3 is shaft drive. The deck is no longer shaft driven, like my 2004 3235, but belt driven. I'm not sure abput the XT1 and XT2 series.

Bob B.

The XT1 and XT2 are belt driven

/ Any More Shaft Drives? #4  
Shaft drive is slowly fading away in the garden tractor class as that level of tractor has been morphed into the sub compact tractor class over the past decade or so. As the price to make a solid shaft driven garden tractor with the frame to handle rear ground engaging implements climbed to over $8K+, they became a non seller as it was a very short jump to get a diesel powered, 4wd sub compact from several brands that have a proper 540 rpm rear pto, cat 1 three point hitch ect. The cost to make a good garden tractor priced them out of exhistance. The XT3 is one of very few GT's left these days. A nice machine but at its price with the options like a rear hitch ect. I think I would be looking at a lightly used sub compact or older GT. The big Kohlers blow out or burn out the cheap mufflers they use on them(which are not cheap to replace) and quality of current model Kohlers are all over the place from a mechanics view(30 years as a small engine mechanic). If the Cub Cadet/Yanmar thing had worked out better, maybe they could have give Kubota a fight at the $10K price point of the entry level Bx series sub compacts. Mike