Any ideas for cleaning out a rusty gas can?????

/ Any ideas for cleaning out a rusty gas can????? #1  

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
I have a older pre-EPA gas can. It has some rust in the bottom. Does anybody have a idea on how to make it a usable can again?

/ Any ideas for cleaning out a rusty gas can????? #2  
Put something in it like small nuts or finish nails and shake the heck out of it. Wouldn't hurt to put that epoxy tank liner stuff in it afterwards.

/ Any ideas for cleaning out a rusty gas can?????
I did use small rocks in a mower gas tank one time, I forgot about that. I will try that first. The liner may not be a bad idea either.

/ Any ideas for cleaning out a rusty gas can????? #4  
:thumbsup:

/ Any ideas for cleaning out a rusty gas can????? #5  
Timely topic. I have an older safety can I bought at auction and the old gas I dumped out had a little rust in it. It doesn't look to be very much and I wonder if I should deal with it or just rinse it out till clean? I could also jam a pressure washer hose in and blast out whatever might be an issue. Rinse thoroughly and set in the sun to dry? Any advice on this?

/ Any ideas for cleaning out a rusty gas can????? #6  
You can clean it but the rust will return.

/ Any ideas for cleaning out a rusty gas can????? #7  
Evapo-Rust is best I have found and environmentally friendly.

Take a handful of small stones in can, shake well to break loose the big stuff, empty and put about a cup or two of the Evapo-Rust in can and seal up with cap. Shake it around every couple of hours. After a couple of days ( or more if you can) drain can and rinse well with water then set in the sun upside down to drain and dry.

If you strain the ER thru a few layers of cheesecloth you can probably reuse it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96431.html

/ Any ideas for cleaning out a rusty gas can????? #8  
An old, banged up piece of chain will really clean out the rust.

I like the idea of pressure washing but I have never tried it.

Let it dry then spray it with SOMETHING or it will rust again. How would spray Rustoleum serve? Everyone has a can or two.

/ Any ideas for cleaning out a rusty gas can????? #9  
My father has a shop and cleans and lines gas tanks. The first thing to do is get all the old rotten tarnish out and the best way to do that is soap and extremely hot water. Then after the can is free of all old gas contaminants, get a gallon of muratic acid and slosh it arount untill it eats all the rust out(CAUTION!!! muratic acid can burn you and if left in the tank too long will eat a hole through the tank! So wear proper PPE)
After cleaning w/ the acid, rinse again with water. After it is well rinsed dry it well w/ a rag on a wire or stick and then run a hose with air blowing in it(using a regulator with a low volume of air so you don't turn the tank inside out) to dry the rest of the way.
Next step is to line the tank because if you do not it will surface rust right away and will eventualy get bad like before.

I have done many tanks this way(car,truck,motorcycle) but never gas cans as the work, time and material costs ya, when a new metal gas can only runs about $60 and the liner we use is about $350 for a gallon. Granted it dosen't take much to coat a tank it seems like a lot of trouble to me.

Good luck either way.

Eric

/ Any ideas for cleaning out a rusty gas can????? #10  
One trick that I am going to try on my old Honda 3-wheeler tank when I get home from Afghanistan is to fill it up with Apple Cider Vinegar and leave it in there for a couple of days. I've been watching Youtube videos and that has been the best method so far. Looks like it completely removes the rust. Empty the gunk and then just rinse it out with water and a little baking soda to neutralize the vinegar.
If it's just in the bottom of the tank then it will not take too much vinegar. Just cover up all the rust with the cider. You should be able to pick up a gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar for about $3 at Wal-Mart. White vinegar will work but not as good as the cider.