Any Honda Pilot owners out there?

/ Any Honda Pilot owners out there? #1  

JJT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710 HST and a Kubota ZD21 60Pro
It's time to replace the minivan, (7 years old and almost 130K miles) and we're contemplating a Honda Pilot. We driven most of the competition, (Trail Blazer/Envoy, Durango, Explorer, Highlander and a few 4 door trucks) and we keep coming back to the Honda. Anyone here have any feedback on the Honda Pilot?

It seats 8, gets fairly good gas mileage, almost no depreciation when compared to it's US competition, cheap to insure and it should be reliable, it's a Honda. It's car based so the towing and offroad capabilities are limited, (neither of these are important to us). All the dealers near me, are selling them at MSRP, ($3000 over invoice), but I found a dealer 400 miles away that gave me a quote of $400 over invoice and has our color instock.

/ Any Honda Pilot owners out there? #2  
JJT-I may not be much help as I do not have a Pilot. We do have a 00 Odyssey which is the same platform as the Pilot and Acura MDX.. Ours has been trouble free. The Pilot is a bargain compared to the MDX and many other SUV's of that size. I would buy from the dealer at $400 over as I have never had a new car dealer ask where I purchased it from when I needed waranty work. As you stated, it is hard to beat any Honda product. Buy and be happy.

/ Any Honda Pilot owners out there? #3  
My parents just bought a 2004 Pilot EX a few weeks ago.

Consumer Reports rates it #1 and I know why - it is simply the best vehicle I have driven. Lots of comfort, room, and traction. Very solid and lots of integrity.

I wish Honda made big tractors /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

Yooper Dave

/ Any Honda Pilot owners out there? #4  
JJT,

I currently have a CR-V, have looked and driven both the Pilot and the MDX. I agree the MDX is not worth the price difference, even though I like the cosmetics better.

Honda make a great product, paying MSRP or close to it is tough, however resale is much better than most. One local dealer is at sticker, another nearby is $1,000 off, which I think is reasonable. I personally would not buy 400 miles from home regardless of price, that comes from being in business for 30 years!

I wish the Pilot/MDX did a little better on gas mileage, however its in the same category as similar vehicles. The CR-V is great for running groceries, but not large enough for a family.

I am very happy with my Honda experience, both product and dealer service.

Eric

/ Any Honda Pilot owners out there? #5  
JJT,

Bought one in 10/02. Had to order it and the local dealer was charging full list. No problems in 10,000 miles and its very nice. In fact its so nice that its boring to drive. I wish it had a manual transmission or a nice engine roar or something.

John

/ Any Honda Pilot owners out there? #6  
Mrs. Hazmat has an '04. We bought it in October & have 10,000 miles on it so far.

Only one complaint. Honda puts junk tires on it. Get the dealer to swap them out for some Michelin Cross Terrains (or your favorite suv tire). The goodyear integritys that came on it vibrate on the highway (I suspect that the tires are the cause) & have 0 traction in the snow.

A local dealer is working with me on the vibration problem. The service manager's pilot has the same problem. He hasn't solved it yet. Honda keeps blaming the tires. He has replaced the goodyears with other tires & it has gotten better. Not all pilots seem to experience this problem, so you might get lucky. Test drive it on the highway at 70-80mph before you buy.

Check out www.hondaplilot.org

/ Any Honda Pilot owners out there? #7  
Bought my wife a Honda last year. It is a CRV, not a Pilot. This Honda seems great, but not old enough yet to tell whether or not it will hold up. I have always been told that Honda's hold up well. I usually decide if I like a brand after having it about 5+ years. Then you really know whether or not you like it. I agree on the tires. We hate those noisy Bridgestones on the CRV. We will change them out for some Michelens soon as possible. The CRV's have an annoying ignition key solenoid "click" sound that the dealers can't fix yet. They claim it is just the way it works, but still very annoying to me. Wife doesn't mind a bit, so its all good.

/ Any Honda Pilot owners out there? #8  
JJT

By my username I think you can guess what vehicle I have.

Bought the 2003 Pilot in July 2002 (was it that long ago already?)

Absolutely love it. Paid sticker for it because it was brand new and VERY in demand. I had an old '84 Chevy S-10 Blazer that was nearly dead and I didn't want to wait any longer for a new vehicle. My wife has a 2000 Odyssey that she loves.

Where in upstate NY are you? Although I live in Central NJ, I ended up buying my Pilot at Miller Dodge-Honda in Binghamton NY. I was on a 8 week waiting list here in NJ, but when visiting my MOM in the Binghamton area in mid June '02, I discovered that Miller had one scheduled to arrive the first week in July. So I bought it. At that time most all dealers were asking full sticker price.

I'm hearing that the demand for both the Odyssey and Pilot is not as strong, so you may be able to deal.

Anyway good luck. Let me know what you decide.

Gary

/ Any Honda Pilot owners out there? #9  
Can't speak for the CRV or the Pilot, but I'm still trying to find a good Honda or one that will last. 83 Accord, 248,000 miles when we traded it in to try to get a good one, 86 Accord, 224,000 miles when traded. Got 95 Oddesy that has 170,000 miles and already had to put a radiator cap on it last week. Maybe if I keep on, I'll get a good one.