Any Crosman air rifle experts?

/ Any Crosman air rifle experts? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
I inherited my late Dad's Crosman air rifle. I remember using it as a kid in late 50s, not sure how old it is. As I remember it seems like there was a small magnet or something that held the BB. We used to shoot pellets and kitchen matches with it.
I tried close up pictures. Does it look like something is missing where BB goes?
I pumped it up, loaded it and it works, but you have to hold rifle upright, pull cocking ring, pull trigger.
Thanks...I wasn't sure where to post this.View attachment 596721 20190320_185733.jpeg20190320_185632.jpeg20190320_185842.jpeg20190320_185820.jpeg

/ Any Crosman air rifle experts? #2  
Yes it does look like the magnet is missing, I have a powerline 880 Daisy and it looks the same as mine.

/ Any Crosman air rifle experts? #3  
Weren’t those designed for shooting pellets?

We had Benjamin’s when we were kids and I don’t recall any magnets. But BB’s were not the best ammo for them.

/ Any Crosman air rifle experts? #4  
That's a Crosman 101 if .22 caliber or 100 if .177 caliber (the 100 is less common), they didn't have a magnet as they weren't designed to shoot BB's. They were introduced in the 1920's and made up until the 50's I believe. Parts are still available from several sources but research is hard as most of them didn't even say they were Crosman's let alone what model they are or anything else :)

If you want some more information there are several forums out there, gatewaytoairguns is one that I'm a member of

I have two 101's and a 102 (multi shot with a gravity fed tube magazine) that I have yet to rebuild but it's on the list as the 102 doesn't hold air...

/ Any Crosman air rifle experts? #6  
It specifically says "Pellet Rifle" with no mention of BBs.

/ Any Crosman air rifle experts? #7  
I was reading that manual...

It talks about if the barrel becomes plugged, and you can't push the pellets out, to go to a hardware store and purchase a thin sheet of asbestos at any hardware store for a few cents, and hold the barrel over the stove and melt the lead out. Man, those days are gone. :laughing: