Any additives needed for #2 heating oil for use in diesel?

/ Any additives needed for #2 heating oil for use in diesel? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
An elderly neighbor almost ran out of heating fuel this winter due to a truck delivery screw up on the island. Her nephew went out and bought 40 gallons of #2 heating oil in diesel containers as emergency backup which luckily was not needed. I agreed to buy the fuel from her thinking I'd use it in my tractor. Question is whether there are any additives that would be found in diesel fuel that are not in the otherwise identical #2 home heating oil? If additives are needed any suggestions on where to get them? Tx.

/ Any additives needed for #2 heating oil for use in diesel? #2  
I have run heating oil almost exclusively, never had any troubles with it... many say it has better lubricity than the ULSD on-road, although I added some of the 2 stroke/white power service mix I run through the truck to the last batch I ran through, and it seemed to have the same effect of quieting & smoothing the engine out.

250+ hours, no ill effects for me, so...

/ Any additives needed for #2 heating oil for use in diesel?
Thanks. Since I posted my question I've read through some of the older threads on this subject. One thing that I haven't seen addressed is whether the newer (eg 2007) tractors have any emissions control equipment that could be damaged by the higher sulfer content of #2 heating oil. I'll get in touch with the heating oil distributor who provided this fuel and ask if there is any difference.

/ Any additives needed for #2 heating oil for use in diesel? #4  
No problem Island,

Actually--it's kind of funny (to me--some people would melt down:D)... I was under the impression I had been using "off-road" for about half the time I owned the tractor... right up until I saw my buddy's fuel truck backed up filling the tank one day...

I asked him what he was putting in there, and he said home heating oil (labelled "off-road"), and that there was no difference between the two... said, okay, worried a bit, did some research, and found essentially, other than looser sulphur restrictions (so lubricants not stripped out while the sulphur was removed), they are the same product, removed at the same level/stage of the refinement process...

Since I had facts & experience backing it--I would never consider spending that extra cash for dryer fuel!

Emissions may be a concern for newer models, and no doubt will be someday, but I would doubt it at this point... Joe vehicle consumer's taxes, revenues, and increased spending for emissions equipment is the target now.:mad: Niches will be picked on down the road...

/ Any additives needed for #2 heating oil for use in diesel? #5  
I don't think they've gone to fitting catalytic converters to the new tractor exhausts yet. With no converters, there'll be no damage to the engine.

Think the main difference (if any at all; depends on where your heating oil came from) between heating oil and diesel is pour point and cetane number. No problem with pour point this time of year on until about November. Cetane number is only guaranteed to be min. of 40 even in on road stuff. That isn't very high. Bet most heating oils beat this.

Ralph

/ Any additives needed for #2 heating oil for use in diesel? #6  
Tractors will be getting a more advanced emissions system in a few years under the Teir system set up for off road equipment.

/ Any additives needed for #2 heating oil for use in diesel? #7  
I would buy some cetane improver as it is probably a #1 #2 mix and toss in some 2 cycle oil at 100:1 ratio.

jb

/ Any additives needed for #2 heating oil for use in diesel?
john_bud said:
I would buy some cetane improver as it is probably a #1 #2 mix and toss in some 2 cycle oil at 100:1 ratio.

jb

Is the cetane improver just to increase available power or does it impact the longevity of the motor? I don't really care so much about optimal energy from the fuel as I rarely run out of power for my tasks. Is the 2 cycle oil for enhanced lubrication?

It may take me six months to use up the fuel so I did pick up some "starbrite" fuel additive which is aimed at the marine market just as a fuel stabilizer. Not sure what is in that stuff but it's made by the same company that makes gas stabilizers.

/ Any additives needed for #2 heating oil for use in diesel? #10  
Thanks Cali,

I have been running 50% homemade bio in my different machines for a while now, but every once in a while I get a little spooked when Mahindra or some JD service tech say no to the bio.

Your data seems to reinforce what I always understood to be true. Bio Diesel lubricates better.

It also seems to suggest home heating oil may be a better choice of fuel for our Off road machines not had it natural lubricosity stripped out with the sulfur.