Another three dishwasher load Sunday, I am blessed!

/ Another three dishwasher load Sunday, I am blessed! #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
For the first time this year all the bunch was at our house for Sunday lunch. Plus my sister-in-law and her husband. His birthday is at the end of the month so it was an early birthday dinner. One son-in-law works every third Sunday and sometimes more to cover a co-worker's vacation. But this Sunday both daughters, both son-in-laws, four grandkids (and one more on the way), sister-in-law, her husband, my wife, and myself were able to sit around the table, have a meal, and talk, and talk, and then talk some more.

It is fun.

Prep starts on Saturday evening with green beans in a crockpot to cook all night (then put in pan to 'cook down' the required three times Sunday morning), turkey in fridge in bag and roaster ready to go into the oven, desert in fridge, table set, and items to be cooked Sunday morning placed appropriately for thawing or easy access.

Sunday morning is a flurry of activity with myself doing the potato peeling, loading dishwasher, stirring, moving stuff around and any other task assigned by the master chef as she scurries about the kitchen. When not needed I leave the kitchen to stay out of the way. Turkey breast needed two hours cooking then taken out until oven cooled below 300 and placed back in to keep warm while we were at church. I am sent to shower early so I can watch the stove and stir while the master chef takes hers. First dishwasher load of the day is started with the prep items loaded.

Hectic, but fun with the two of us often colliding in the kitchen. Table is set but items such as salt, extra napkins, and desert dishes are placed nearby for access when needed. For the hundredth time we remark on the wisdom of having the wall torn out between the dining room and living room to make room for the huge table that seats eight comfortably or ten in tighter squeeze. Today there will be twelve so a separate card table is set up for the grands at the end of the room allowing everybody to be in sight of everybody else. Then with one last look at the stove to make sure everything is turned off we head to church.

Nine year old granddaughter rides home from church with us and talks nonstop as only a preteen young lady can. Asking continuous questions and waiting impatiently for answers. House gradually gets louder as each part of the family arrives with a notable increase in the noise level as oldest daughter and her family arrive. There is a short silence for the prayer. Then the sound again gets louder as the meal begins.

Grands leave the table first and we depend on the thirteen year old to oversee the ruckus going on everywhere but the dining room.

After the meal EVERYBODY takes their plate to the kitchen sink, then gets out of the way. Large bowls that were full of food a short time ago are emptied into smaller containers for storage in the fridge or dispensing to whoever was taking it home. Dishwasher was emptied sometime after church and is again loaded and started with the plates, half the silverware, and the smaller items in it. Goodbyes are said and grands go around giving hugs to each other and all the adults. And our guests leave to go home and partake of the usual Sunday afternoon nap.

Later the dishwasher finishes and I empty it putting everything in its place. I do this so the main cook can sit and relax. I load it for the third time of the day and note that if we had not used disposable glasses there would be a fourth load.

Just another glorious Sunday!

RSKY

Last edited:
   / Another three dishwasher load Sunday, I am blessed! #2  
Sounds like fun. I always enjoy cooking for our extended family.

/ Another three dishwasher load Sunday, I am blessed! #3  
Your story makes me smile. Families that make an effort to get along are an absolute blessing as far as I'm concerned. I am a very thankful opa that my kids want to be with each other and with us.

/ Another three dishwasher load Sunday, I am blessed! #5  
Sounds like heaven. I love to have a house full of people over for a meal and connecting. Even better when it is family.

/ Another three dishwasher load Sunday, I am blessed! #6  
My family, wife, 3 daughters , and husbands ,4 grandsons and girlfriends and misc . Most do not have this . It is a blessing ! Kevin .

/ Another three dishwasher load Sunday, I am blessed! #7  
Thanks RSKY.

Reading that brought back fond memories and smiles thinking of Sunday lunches or other meals at Mom and Dad‘s before they passed. And current ones with our kids and grand kids. Such Wonderful Chaos!

Blessings indeed!

/ Another three dishwasher load Sunday, I am blessed! #8  
Mine just went back to college.
Kinda sad, but me & Mrs. Hay Dude get our “crib” back to ourselves….in a much cleaner form than when they are home.