Another "smoothing lawn thread"

/ Another "smoothing lawn thread" #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I know lots of members here are in the landscaping biz, so what is the absolute best method to smooth a lawn to perfection.

My lawn has many areas that are a bear on the ZTR at speed. I have worked over many areas before , sometimes get lucky and get favorable results. Other times, it seems no better off.

Some of the methods I have used...
Disc, let clumps dry, beat down with cultipacker
Till shallow, beat with cultipacker
Both of the above but dragging the landscape rake over before packing
Sometimes roll with a 2000# 4' roller
Sometimes a little rear blade work in there

Same issue I always fight....sod/grass clumps.

The lawn isn't terrible by no means. I can run the tractor with larger tires on it at near road speed, and the ATV seems as smooth as the paved road. But there are areas here and there, from moles, dogs digging holes, rutting it when too soft with the tractor, etc.

Wondering about method that don't require completely tearing out and re-sending. The methods described above, the grass normally comes back naturally. But this is 6-7 acres. Don't really want to try to reseed everything. Just something to use in the bad areas and see how it works.

How well does a Harley rake work on dense sod? Most of the videos I see show windrowing all the sod and debris off to the side, then basically starting over with new seed.

Also looking at other tools like a Gill pulverizer...bit I thin the issue will be the same as trying to disc/till and level with a rake.....sod clumps. Same for a box blade.

If it wasn't a yard with a thick sod layer....this would be child's play.

If a Harley rake really is the best tool, I would consider making one. Seems like a fun project.

/ Another "smoothing lawn thread" #2  
Another "smoothing lawn thread"

I will say that in my opinion, the Harley rake IS the best tool. However, it's not just a miracle tool that will pulverize your sod clumps to perfectly set dirt seed beds like some ads would let you believe. It will do that, but it's going to take a few passes.

I tore up a customers back yard with a decent sod bed on it using my Harley rake, and it took me a good 4 passes with the opening set as small as possible to break up the sod clumps.
However, the end result turned out fantastic.

I haven't used every tool out there, but of all the ones I HAVE used, the Harley rake is far superior for this type of work.

/ Another "smoothing lawn thread" #3  
I know lots of members here are in the landscaping biz, so what is the absolute best method to smooth a lawn to perfection.

Also looking at other tools like a Gill pulverizer...bit I thin the issue will be the same as trying to disc/till and level with a rake.....sod clumps. Same for a box blade.

I have a Gill pulverizer but have never found a good use for it. It has the roller with the dimples but it won't pull through grass with good results. If you're going to leave the sod and work around it or through it you'd probably want to scratch that off the list. I do use it on the gravel drive to reclaim sunken gravel and it pulls the grass in the middle out (kinda). The grass in the middle don't bother me but that's another subject.

That's about all I can offer but I'm going to tag along on this thread and see what the landscapers say.

/ Another "smoothing lawn thread"
As to a Harley rake....what would be an ideal width? Is it gonna be like a lawn mower, where smaller=better finish and more uniform but take longer? Of is wider/faster the answer.

If I build one, it will be 3ph and PTO driven. Is 8' asking too much.

And what RPM do those things spin? 1:1.47 gearboxes are readily available and cheap. That would give about 800rpm. Need more? Less?

I got some heavy pipe to use for the rotor, probably a hefty belt drive similar to a flail mower is what I was thinking.

/ Another "smoothing lawn thread"
I have a Gill pulverizer but have never found a good use for it. It has the roller with the dimples but it won't pull through grass with good results. If you're going to leave the sod and work around it or through it you'd probably want to scratch that off the list. I do use it on the gravel drive to reclaim sunken gravel and it pulls the grass in the middle out (kinda). The grass in the middle don't bother me but that's another subject.

That's about all I can offer but I'm going to tag along on this thread and see what the landscapers say.

Thanks for confirming what I though about the Gill. Looks like it would d a fantastic job on dirt or in a crop less field, or after a plowing and discing. But them tines just don't look like they would do much with sod. Same as any of the toothed type chain or bar harrows.

/ Another "smoothing lawn thread" #6  
if you want it real smooth you will have to get rid of grass and sod clumps

/ Another "smoothing lawn thread" #7  
As Piston said the Harley is the best tool for the job. You may look into making a large roller in an attempt to smooth out ruff spots. Also the rake will take time to learn how to use it to get the results you're after.
I Harley raked my lawn when I installed it( then sold the rake to piston) and the results were excellent but 7 years of frost and there are area's that aren't as nice as I left them. I suspect yearly rolling after raking will yield lasting results.

Matt

/ Another "smoothing lawn thread" #8  
I have an eight foot harley rake. The good one, with the two rollers and S type scarifiers. Great machine, but you would basically need to start again.

It would certainly destroy your sod and windrow the debris. But depending on the area, you can only windrow it so far effectively. Then you need some way to pick up the windrow.

I have maybe a half acre lawn area, I too would like to smooth out. I would disk it first (not that own a disk) and then pull a drag around. Then use the Harley. A Preperator that goes on a SS also works well and has the bonus of collecting the debris as you go.

So, it's probably a job that is best dealt with all out, no holds barred. Grass seed is expensive too and needs constant water. Not a project I would want to devote myself to right now.

/ Another "smoothing lawn thread" #9  
View attachment 473148

This is a job I did with the Harley. That's actually a small part of it! A bit much actually. You don't know when to stop. With the Harley, your first pass always seems the best and everything else seems like diminishing returns for the work your doing.

/ Another "smoothing lawn thread" #10  
Here are more pics of a job at my place. Before and after. I think final pic is seeded and rolled. Borrowed SS.

DSC00301.JPGDSC00303.JPGDSC00318.JPG