Another rant about buying used

/ Another rant about buying used
I'll sell you mine (see my thread under the Kubota forum). Problem is, you need a real truck for it. it's mint, always stored inside never outside and used maybe 4 times. At our age, a motel works much better. Has roof solar, 3000 watt PSW inverter, dual house batteries, heat (no air, don't need that) and a full bathroom and of course hot and cold water and furnace and fridge.

Would NEVER buy any camper or Rv that was kept outside. They don't age well sitting outside.
I can't believe the price of some of those slide in campers now! My friend and his wife were looking for an 8 foot for his new GM dually. They are $100,000 here in Canada!

They ended up buying a travel trailer instead.

/ Another rant about buying used #72  
I don't think this is a new problem or new issue. The ancient Romans used to post signs at the entrance of the chariot dealer that said "caveat emptor". Still applies today.

From our perspective it seems like it's getting worse. Historically, looks like this has always been the case.

/ Another rant about buying used #73  
I replied to a CL ad about an equipment trailer a few years ago. I was looking for one and it was nearby and cheap. The ad said "Ready to go to work" and "good condition", etc. When I got there all 4 tires were flat and there was a 3" tree growing up through the A-frame hitch.

On the other hand, I flew one-way to pick up a car that I bought from pictures alone and drove about 500 miles to pick up a tractor bought online. I did interrogate both of those sellers quite extensively and was ready to lick my wounds and walk away if there were significant deal-breakers upon arrival. It can be worth the risk if the deal is right and it's exactly what you're looking for.

Caveat Emptor!
(quote from a Roman that got screwed on a defective catapult purchase)

/ Another rant about buying used #74  
So what does OBO mean? I always think it means they will take less than the asking price but I think the seller often means they expect more.

I'm all about OBRO, lol.

I'll sell you mine (see my thread under the Kubota forum). Problem is, you need a real truck for it. it's mint, always stored inside never outside and used maybe 4 times. At our age, a motel works much better. Has roof solar, 3000 watt PSW inverter, dual house batteries, heat (no air, don't need that) and a full bathroom and of course hot and cold water and furnace and fridge.

Would NEVER buy any camper or Rv that was kept outside. They don't age well sitting outside.

If the timing were right you would be the type of guy I'd want to buy a camper from; you're **** about taking care of your stuff, and given the RV industries reputation for shoddy workmanship, I'd imagine it's in better shape than when you purchased it, lol.

/ Another rant about buying used #76  
I can't believe the price of some of those slide in campers now! My friend and his wife were looking for an 8 foot for his new GM dually. They are $100,000 here in Canada!

They ended up buying a travel trailer instead.
But what is that in real money? Like $50?

:)

/ Another rant about buying used #77  
But what is that in real money? Like $50?

:)
Nope $100,000 To a Canadian.

Now if he wants to convert the $100,000 to American.

“How much is $100,000.00 – the one hundred thousand 🇨🇦 canadian dollars is worth $74,407.53 (USD) today or 💵 seventy-four thousand four hundred seven us dollars 53 cents as of 15:00PM UTC. We utilize mid-market currency rates to convert CAD against USD currency pair. The current exchange rate is 0.744.”

Source: 100000 Canadian Dollars (CAD) to US Dollars (USD) - Currency Converter

Last edited:
   / Another rant about buying used #78  
Or Best Offer
I knew what it meant, I’m just not sure what the seller thinks it means. If they are selling something for $500 do they think it a bidding thing and they will get more?

/ Another rant about buying used #79  
I knew what it meant, I’m just not sure what the seller thinks it means. If they are selling something for $500 do they think it a bidding thing and they will get more?
I think many people struggle with sales or marketing. We didn't even consider making them an offer after that comment, plus they didn't know enough to make the interior visible.

/ Another rant about buying used #80  
That sales gimmick started during the hot housing market. I have heard it described as, set a base starting bidding price and let the bidding begin.

The article following this will enlighten you to the lunacy running rampant in the consumer housing market today.

“When it's a seller's market, anything goes as far as pricing. "It's not uncommon for buyers to submit offers for $50,000 to $100,000 over asking price, waiving appraisal contingencies, and paying $30,000 to $100,000 above appraisal," says real estate broker Stephanie Williamson.”