Quick Hitches Another Quick Hitch Testimony

/ Another Quick Hitch Testimony #1  

Gregster613

Platinum Member
Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona
Tractor
273 TYM. 2009 //Yardmachines 7 Speed Shift-on-the-goScotts L2048
Howdy all,
I've been following all of the various threads about quick hitches and other forms of painless attaching of heavy implements. I have been using dollies and just rolling them up to the tractor - which works well - but I finally broke down and bought one from Agri Supply Company. It came well packaged, with all items requested enclosed, looks good, fits well, is a standard 27 & 1/2" wide, works just like advertised, was under $100.00 so fairly easy on the wallet. I have no complaints/regrets with what I bought nor with the professional transactions of ASC.

However, I soon came to learn that with my location mounting of my hydraulic valves I cannot fully retract my new cylinder without the top cross beam of the quick hitch hitting my quick disconnects; they stick out about 3" beyond my ROP frame. Again, no fault with ASC. They sold exactly what they advertised. I am the one who failed to see that the cross beam would interfere with my operation. I can use it; but, I have to be "constantly" aware "not" to fully retract and I easily get too sidetracked with operations that I'll soon end up busting my hydraulics and having further problems.

And to answer another question...yes it does mount your implement about 2" further back from the tractor. The beams are wide/thick enough to cause this. Similar, I would guess, to what the PATs system does.

So, now what to do? I went back, searched through all the threads yet again, and read about member "KUoa's" experience with the Carter and Sons designed hook-up. I order one, it came last night, well packaged, contained all the requested items - I wanted to have anything/everything I might need to ensure this would work.

I went to install and Holla! it looks like it's not going to fit! Darn it, so close, yet just won't slide on. Well, I decided to give it a nudge with a "BFH" and yes success! I played with it a short time before dark and it looks like all will be well.

I need to get familiar with using it, but am sure that now I can drop and exchange attachments anywhere in the field without having a large pain in re-attaching them. I am unsure how well the spreader bar would survive if I was pushing over saplings while slashing? but I don't have timber in my area so no worries there. I can hoist my box blade and retract fully with no worries of hitting/damageing anything.

So far, I am pleased. Thank you KUoa for your statement/review - that's what really made up my mind to give this a try. I don't remember the member who posted the link to ASC for the quick attach - it was several pages ago - but thank you also, that is a good hitch too and some day I'll have a tractor that it will work flawlessly with.

Greg

/ Another Quick Hitch Testimony #3  
Greg, can you please post a picture of where-how the QDs hit the quick hitch?

/ Another Quick Hitch Testimony #4  
Greg, on the Carters, I never used the spreader bar ( I didn't have one), I just used a rubber bungee to provide inside pulling force and the turnbuckles the Kubota had set the overall dimensions. I never had any trouble with that method. Remember when the nearest hook upright hits the implement pin first, the implement will skew around so that the other pin will then hit the hook upright and then you can raise the 3pt to get hooked up. It is sort of self adjusting that way, the only thing you have to worry about is getting the overall dimensions (the 27 1/2) dimension set right for each implement. Mine were not quite all the same. But overall it still beat the heck out of the stock Kubota non telescoping link ends.

When I got the Kioti, it has telescoping stabilizers and telescoping lower link ends, and I just use that. I don't have any trouble. It is not as quick as a real quick hitch, but it is not difficult to get hooked up. The stock Kubota none telescoping equipment on the Standard L's is just stupid and difficult to get everything lined up correctly without cussing and kicking.

When I had the B7500, I did not know about Pats or Carters or Quick hitches, so I just dreaded hooking up the mower or the blade, the only 2 implemnts I had at the time.. and I hookrd up the blade in the late fall, and the rotary cutter in the spring, and just made do, I was not going to fight that hookup procedure more than I had to. I was stupid (er) then, and just did not know what to do. It is amazing what you can learn from other people if you will just listen:)

/ Another Quick Hitch Testimony #5  

Yes, those would work.

I use the ones from Tractor Supply, which are made by Speeco and come in a pack of 4 (in various widths) for $20. I use them on the cylinders for my FEL to keep my grapple from tilting back too far (because my quick connects are mounted in an area where the grapple will hit the hoses if I tilt the grapple back all the way).

SpeeCo Stroke Control, 1-1/8 in. to 1-1/2 in. - Tractor Supply Co.

/ Another Quick Hitch Testimony
Thanks to all reply's, [Although not in replicator order]

"kOua" Man I sure apologize for the 'miss-spelling' of my reference to the company that sold me an excellent style of an "Medium Speed Hitch", and I agree with your experiences with connecting attachments to/from this hitch; I also only have (2) worrisome-size implements (Box-blade & Rotary mower) and I can hook them up with "perhaps" less cussing than you used - and "perhaps not" but I no longer wanted to. I am sure the Carters will work out just fine for me. I wanted to ensure I got a solid shout in your direction. It was your experience with this hitch that swayed my final decision. I don't have the telescoping ends like you but I don't mind jockeying my implement around some to hook-up! And you are most certainly right -- "what you can learn by just listening.!" Thank you for the input my member friend.

MtnViewRanch, Brian, Yes those would work, but I no longer have a need/desire to limit my stroke, the current cylinder is working fine. Thanks anyway....

Dusty3030 -- original poster referenced by Poopdeck Pappy -- Pappy, Thanks for your info/experienced review/$ Quote/link!! I've thought about that for years with my old bent, "non-leaking" cylinder. Which I still have. How difficult are they to install? I've never broken open a cylinder before, not to say it can't be done.

I've learned a lot today; just by listening and reading. Thanks for the input... Greg

/ Another Quick Hitch Testimony #7  
You don't take anything apart to use the cylinder stops. The stops are spring loaded, they just clip over the rod. I am trying to find a better picture but look at this drawing and maybe it will click for you. It's like a spring clamp, its not a permanent mod.

As far as limiting the lift of your top cylinder, I can't help you other than will it affect anything you do with any implement you have if you limit it?
All you can do is hook up your quick hitch and hook on to each implement you have and try it.

/ Another Quick Hitch Testimony #8  
   / Another Quick Hitch Testimony #9  
MtnViewRanch, Brian, Yes those would work, but I no longer have a need/desire to limit my stroke, the current cylinder is working fine. Thanks anyway....

Greg

Greg, this was not me suggesting the stroke limiters. It was dusty3030. Glad that everything is now working how you want it to be. ;)