Another Quick Hitch Mod

/ Another Quick Hitch Mod #1  

KennyG

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
This is pretty minor mod but it solved a big problem for me. I found my Harbor Freight quick hitch wouldn't work with my Frontier box blade. The BB has the QH pin recessed between braces that are 2 inches apart. The bolts on the QH hook hit the frame and keep the hook from engaging the pin. It must work OK with the iHitch hook because it sticks out farther and isn't adjustable.

Another TBN member cut the bolts down and staked them into the QH. That wouldn't work for me because my wood splitter doesn't have a QH upper pin so I have to be able to reposition the hook.

I bought a pair of 1/2" hitch pins and cut them down just long enough to span the hook bracket. I also cut a screwdriver slot in one end. I picked up a couple of smaller spring pins and ground down the edge of the hook a little to add some gap between the hook and the bracket. After I put the hitch pins in and insert the spring pins, I use the screwdriver slot to rotate the hitch pins so the spring pins are fully in the gap and out of the way. This way, I can use the QH on the BB and still easily move the hook to a higher position.

pin1.jpg

pin23.jpg

Last edited:
   / Another Quick Hitch Mod #2  
Very cool solution.
I did something simular but used a short pin with an external snap ring, but once in it is a pain to remove.....

Cheers

/ Another Quick Hitch Mod #3  
Nice job, I also have that problem with the box blade. I've been thinking about cutting out a new hook that sticks out a little farther. Been watching the scrap yard for a chunk of 1" or 1-1/8" plate.

DRL

/ Another Quick Hitch Mod
Nice job, I also have that problem with the box blade. I've been thinking about cutting out a new hook that sticks out a little farther. Been watching the scrap yard for a chunk of 1" or 1-1/8" plate.

DRL

One other "glitch" with the box blade. The QH standard says the hook should accept a 1.25" top pin (which is actually Cat 3 size). However, my Harbor Freight QH hook is slightly smaller than this. The JD BB pin is exactly 1.25", so I removed the BB bolt and replaced the sleeve with a Cat 1 to Cat 2 top link bushing, making it 1.00". It would have been better if the QH had actually been manufactured to the standard. I might grind on the hook one of these days to open it up to the standard.

/ Another Quick Hitch Mod #5  
Sounds like a lot of headache all to save $150... cheaper isn't always better

/ Another Quick Hitch Mod #6  
This is pretty minor mod but it solved a big problem for me. I found my Harbor Freight quick hitch wouldn't work with my Frontier box blade. The BB has the QH pin recessed between braces that are 2 inches apart. The bolts on the QH hook hit the frame and keep the hook from engaging the pin. It must work OK with the iHitch hook because it sticks out farther and isn't adjustable.

Another TBN member cut the bolts down and staked them into the QH. That wouldn't work for me because my wood splitter doesn't have a QH upper pin so I have to be able to reposition the hook.

I bought a pair of 1/2" hitch pins and cut them down just long enough to span the hook bracket. I also cut a screwdriver slot in one end. I picked up a couple of smaller spring pins and ground down the edge of the hook a little to add some gap between the hook and the bracket. After I put the hitch pins in and insert the spring pins, I use the screwdriver slot to rotate the hitch pins so the spring pins are fully in the gap and out of the way. This way, I can use the QH on the BB and still easily move the hook to a higher position.

Looks like a good idea, solves your problem.

I'm the guy who staked them in place, cause I don't have a need to move the top hook, but if I ever need to move it I'll remember this mod.

Sounds like a lot of headache all to save $150... cheaper isn't always better

If you mean he should of gotten the JD imatch, sounds like it would not work with his splitter, since he has to move that top hook to engage it ?

JB.

If you mean he should of gotten the JD imatch, sounds like it would not work with his splitter, since he has to move that top hook to engage it ?

JB.

Exactly. The lack of adjustability in the imatch bothered me. Maybe I should have bought a Speeco or something, but I probably would have had the same problem. A lot of work to save $150? I spent about $5 and 10 or 15 minutes on this fix. I'm expensive, but not that expensive. :thumbsup:

/ Another Quick Hitch Mod #8  
Well it seems a shame to cut those nice new pins :) could of just cut and drilled the bolts that came with the QH, or any old pins or bolts.

If you don't have a drill press, then it would be a little bit of a pain.

JB

/ Another Quick Hitch Mod #9  
The QH standard says the hook should accept a 1.25" top pin (which is actually Cat 3 size). However, my Harbor Freight QH hook is slightly smaller than this.

My HF hook was large enough on one side but not the other. A few minutes with a grinder fixed it. Then I riveted it into place so it would go deeper into an implement to reach the pin (welder not wired yet).

On another implement I had to put 2 spacer washers on the top tube to widen the frame until the hook's mounting flanges would go inside.

Bruce

Well it seems a shame to cut those nice new pins :) could of just cut and drilled the bolts that came with the QH, or any old pins or bolts.

If you don't have a drill press, then it would be a little bit of a pain.

JB

I thought about that but the pins were on sale for $1.98 each. Also, I'm rebuilding the shop and the drill press is somewhere under a pile of stuff in the corner. These days, time is harder to come by than money - up to a point. :mad: