Another Newbie seeking comments

/ Another Newbie seeking comments #1  

sodamo

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H (Mine) BX2380 (wife’s)
OK, been lurking awhile and learning LOTS. Never had a tractor before other than 2 wheel thing-a-ma-gig and sears riding mower we had on 100 acres in Maine growing up. I think my parents figured the longer it took us to do things, the less trouble we might get in. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So the twist to my situation is - looking to buy tractor here and then ship it next summer to use in/on Hawaii. Hopefully, my profile helps.

This is what I want:

• 30 HP Tractor, 4X4, HST, Foldable ROPS, R-4 tires
• FEL (Quick release) w bucket w/ tooth bar / chain hooks (pallet forks?)
• Back Hoe (subframe) w 12" bucket
• Med Duty Rear Rotary cutter (60 in)
• Hvy Duty Box Blade (60 in)
• Post Hole Digger w 9 or 12" auger
• Med Duty RotoTiller

This is how I plan to use it:

• Brush Hog 21 acres Pasture 2-3 times (min) per year
• Building of house (Not the big machine stuff)
• Building out buildings
• Grade 1500 ft drive 2+ times per year
• Keep drainage/flows open
• Build new access to far cane road/stream
• Plant fruit trees
• Garden and Pasture
• Fence posts
• Move dirt/stuff
• Build Bridge to grove

Prefer to confine myself to Big 4. Have looked at Kubota (L3130 and B7800) and Kioti (CK30) and dissappointed with initial NH and Deere pricing. My brother works at a Deere place and the number he got on my list above was downright scary. My bottomline budget is $25K. Have CFO approval./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've read the many posts about Dealer support and while I basically agree, by next summer, whatever tractor I buy will be several thousand miles away. I'd like to find a dealer that I can possibly have a long distance relationship. Should I have a problem, I can call, get some expertise and parts support. Unless he visits me in Hawaii, the Dealer would never see the tractor again. I expect to do own servicing and can handle minor repairs.

Is there a particular time of the year more favorable (financially) to purchase a tractor? While I expect to purchase in next 90 days, more or less is not a big factor. I do have a few small tasks before I ship it. If I had it long enough, I'd probably try to get 50 hours and get 1st service done.

Looking forward to your responses and questions. I expect to make other posts on brand/topic specific forums.

David

/ Another Newbie seeking comments #2  
Have you checked for dealers in Hawaii??

There just have to be some there.

Egon

/ Another Newbie seeking comments #3  
This is the only response that would make sense. If I were moving that far away, a major purchase like that would wait.

Have you looked into the cost of shipping such an item, bet it is not cheap to do.

Have you looked into renting here and buying there. If you have things that need done here that would be the only answer. You dont want a long distance dealer, that much is sure. In-laws only for long distance /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Another Newbie seeking comments #4  
After reading your list of attachments, I don't believe you will find anything from the big four that will come in at 25K. The best deal that I have found is a Kubota L3130HST, BH90w16"bucket,and 723 FEL with quick tach for $25005+tax.
L3130HST -$13900
LA723 FEL with q/t -$4205
BH90 with 16" bucket -$6900
Good Luck

/ Another Newbie seeking comments
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Have you checked for dealers in Hawaii??

There just have to be some there.

Egon )</font>

Yep, there sure are, basically 1 of each - not very competitive.

When I first started seriously thinking about getting a tractor, I felt I could start with a decent used machine bought locally (meaning on Hawaii), budget $10-15K. I watched the classifieds just so I'd have a feeling for the market. Last March, while chatting with our banker, my wife told him of my tractor plans. He was quick to educate us, that perhaps this not the best approach. While possible to fine a decent machine for a decent price, it was highly unlikely. More than likely, I'd find a very used machine, that I would soon be unhappy with. The preferred solution was to buy from a mainland dealer and ship. While new equipment was locally available, the selection was limited and prices not competitive. As this man works for the local farm credit agency and providing loans for Ag related equipment is a major function, I figure his info is credible. So, a bit more educated I started researching. Fortunately, I also found TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Danny

Excellent points /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I will pay the cost of shipping whether I buy new here or new there. Not sure if that is one of the factors when prices by location are discussed here, but it is a definite factor in Hawaii.

I am facing shipping costs anyway just to move. Should I try to downsize as much as possible, I could manage to squeeze our stuff into a 20 ft container. I've already decided that is not my best choice and will opt for a 40 footer and will have room enough for a tractor w attachments/implements. No extra charge, as the price is a flat rate based on the size and point A to point B movement. I actually save this way as I will not have to replace items. I do need to investigate the issue of getting a ramp suitable to drive tractor on and off.

As for renting here, any projects I'd do here with the tractor are pretty much extra stuff - things I could choose not to do. Guess what I'm saying, is this is not a decision factor. As long as tractor is here and ready to ship when container is here, it's OK. That said, if I can find a way to play... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for long distance relationships, I guess I'm somewhat tempered by a career in the military - mostly overseas. I once shipped an '85 Dodge Caravan with less than 1000 miles on it. Naturally, it ran just fine until about 45 days past the warranty. My wife STILL reminds me of the wisdom of trading her perfectly good Toyota p/u for that worthless, @#@$^$, POC Caravan.
/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

David

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( After reading your list of attachments, I don't believe you will find anything from the big four that will come in at 25K. ...
Good Luck )</font>

LeRoi
This has to be the area of greatest frustation, bouyed by my ignorance of course. But also, one of the areas I think TBN is remarkable at helping.

Whenever I speak with a dealer, I'm quite upfront about my lack of tractor expertise, give them my list of expected tasks, explain what I am trying to accomplish as far as buying/shipping, and in some cases even show pictures of my property and usually cite my budget.
Using the same list above, presented to different dealers, here are my results:

First dealer visited sold both New Holland and Kubota. Salesman stated there was no way he could put me in a 30hp NH for my budget. He felt he could do so in a B7800 without question and recommended I look at the L3130 as better suited for my tasks etc, but I may have to make adjustments. No quote from him, he requested I return when I had other local quotes and he would beat them.

My second Kubota dealer I actually visited twice. The salesman was no longer employed there on my second visit and I spoke with a manager. He allowed me to make notes on my list, then tallied the numbers - but no quote on letterhead etc. His price came in at $33,223 for L3130HST. I asked, but he assured me, there was no room for improvement. He didn't have a B7800.

My third Kubota dealer, again a salesman, wrote everything up very professionally after we spent time on the lot. I felt the B7800 might be a bit small, so we settled on L3130HST. I left with a valid quote of $27,820. Interestly, this included filled tires. I said I didn't think I wanted filled. He said I could get "not filled" but there was no price adjustment. Just before I left, he did offer to take the quote into his manager to see if it could be improved.

My brother has worked for a good sized (multiple locations, back storage lot=12 acres) JD outfit for about 8 years. He took my list to a saleman - reported back $35,000. No details, but I assume this was for a 4310 as that was what we most discussed. He was going to take the quote to the owner's son, but I suggested that unless he expected a 20 plus % discount, not to waste anyones time. He then surprised me by commenting how the JD implements just aren't the quality they used to be - and I thought his blood ran green!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I have 3 written quotes for Kioti, CK30HST. One from internet, two local. They bracket my budget - $2435 from high to low. My wife and I spent about 2 hours with local dealer #2 - all on the lot. We were impressed.

One of my interesting observations. Everyone gets the same list going in, yet non of my quotes are apples to apples, or is that oranges to oranges. How does one begin to compare among different brand name rotary cutters for example? Then try different models within same brand. All very interesting /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BTW, your quote looks good by $800 compared to mine with 12in BH bucket and stripping out other equipment.

David

/ Another Newbie seeking comments #8  
Sodamo,

I don't think you want a b7800 size machine. I have a B2910 which is a real workhorse on my 3.7 acres, but it will not handle a medium duty rotary cutter. They are too heavy.

Sounds like something similar in size to the Kubota L3130 would meet your requirements. Large enough to handle more weight on the 3PH, more loader capacity, better and bigger backhoe, and so on.

I really do love my B2910 but if I had 10 or 20 acres I bet I would be a proud L3830 owner now...but I don't and I won't and so I am happy with what I have.

But I think it would be on the small size for your needs.

Err on the side of a bit bigger as with use the tractor will shrink in size and become a perfect fit! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif