Another L3800 Question?

/ Another L3800 Question? #21  
If I see the bubble, I add another gallon. About to do that again since I noticed the bubble while on a side hill.

Plus (or minus) 1.5 gallons isn't a problem in my mind...

I have noticed a bubble in the window even though the fluid is slightly overfilled. I tend to run it high because I operate on very steep slopes here. I use a dipstick borrowed from a car and stick it down the filler hole to get a correct reading. Not sure if your machine allows you to use that method but I do not trust those windows.

Just my 2 cents.

/ Another L3800 Question?
I have noticed a bubble in the window even though the fluid is slightly overfilled. I tend to run it high because I operate on very steep slopes here. I use a dipstick borrowed from a car and stick it down the filler hole to get a correct reading. Not sure if your machine allows you to use that method but I do not trust those windows.

Just my 2 cents.
Neither do I.
Dan

/ Another L3800 Question? #23  
Your jiggle pin that started this thread - not sure how they compare but I lost oil from there when the seal on the front wheel drive shaft exiting the transmission case failed. I noticed it leaking after using it under high load for a couple hours. Leak not noticeable when cool. It’s something to remember.

Your jiggle pin that started this thread - not sure how they compare but I lost oil from there when the seal on the front wheel drive shaft exiting the transmission case failed. I noticed it leaking after using it under high load for a couple hours. Leak not noticeable when cool. It’s something to remember.
I'll check that but I don't think it's leaking. There never has been any sign on the
ground where I park or around where I use it.
Dano

The sight glass is a good idea but the reality is can be difficult to see even when at proper level.

Might have to order a bottle of dye.

Post if adding dye is worth it...
Got my dye off Ebay, I don't recommend that. The bottle was only 1/3
full. Used it anyway, let it idle for about 15 minutes and now the entire
sight window is red. I'll do the draining tomorrow when the light is better.
Dano

Ok, added the dye and went by the hardware store yesterday and picked up
one of those hand squeeze pumps like people use to pump kerosene. Stuck it
in the tractor and pumped out 3.5 gallons. Now when it's idling the sight window
looks like this:
Running at idel 8-31-22.jpg

and when the engine has stopped the sight window looks like this:
engine off 8-31-22.jpg

I also got a 3/16 wood dowel to use for a dipstick and notched it at the level of fluid with the engine
off and the sight window full. This what I'm going to go with.
Thanks everyone that commented. I appreciate it. At 73, I don't remember or get around as well as
I used too. A little advice now and then is welcome for sure.
Dano

Oh, forgot. The EBAY seller I bought it from emailed me and said that the bottles
only had a little bit in them but he was sending me a new bottle. Got that today.
We'll see.
Dano

/ Another L3800 Question? #28  
Be sure to cycle front loader if there is one (and any other accessories like top/tilt cylinders), then set down before checking level. You want to see the fluid about halfway in the sight glass. If you go past that you’ve lost the ability to see the upper limit. The fluid level will vary with use and temperature, so halfway is a good nominal reading. Overfill is bad, perhaps worse than underfill. You may see fluid belch out the breather when hot.

Be sure to cycle front loader if there is one (and any other accessories like top/tilt cylinders), then set down before checking level. You want to see the fluid about halfway in the sight glass. If you go past that you’ve lost the ability to see the upper limit. The fluid level will vary with use and temperature, so halfway is a good nominal reading. Overfill is bad, perhaps worse than underfill. You may see fluid belch out the breather when hot.
I did. Used the FEL and the 3pt hitch both and drove it around the place out to the small
barn and back before I took those pictures. Yeah, over filling usually is bad on anything
that builds up pressure.
Thanks,
Dano

/ Another L3800 Question? #30  
...Overfill is bad, perhaps worse than underfill. You may see fluid belch out the breather when hot.
He had room for 3.5 gallons... I've said this before, Kubota engineers had come up with a way to add over a gallon of extra hydraulic fluid without a problem. There's plenty of room for expansion... and the breather is (was) under the seat. I also drove mine with minus 3 gallons and it was fine.