another hiccup to going solar?

/ another hiccup to going solar? #211  
You're right about peanuts, Eversource paid .0675 per kwh, and charges about .18kwh. I didn't care, 52 panels consistently produced 15MW a year. System paid off in roughly 8 years. When we sold house, solar brought in enough "extra" money to pay it off again. I did use roof rake in winter, to increase production.
PGE pays time-of-day pricing to 100%, then $0.03 (three cents) per kwh beyond 100%.

Our hot tub is used in the late evening, but it's cheaper to fire it up near the end of the morning "cheaper" power and keep the water moving & warm all day until we use it, rather than have it warm back up a couple hours before we use it, because the morning power costs half what the evening does (and the hot tub doesn't use a ton of power after it's up to temp). Overall more power use, just costs less.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #212  
You're right about peanuts, Eversource paid .0675 per kwh, and charges about .18kwh. I didn't care, 52 panels consistently produced 15MW a year. System paid off in roughly 8 years. When we sold house, solar brought in enough "extra" money to pay it off again. I did use roof rake in winter, to increase production.
They paid .0314 I think last year and as of 2024 unless your already under contract They pay 0

/ another hiccup to going solar? #213  
I’m grandfathered until my contract is over.

My 6kW array generates enough to cover all electric charges and send me a $200-$300 check once a year.

Of course I don’t use a lot… only a few A/C days a year plus refrigerator and freezer and lights and Saturday wash day.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #214  
I got my first electric bill the other day since solar. I ended up with a 91 dollar credit. 144kw I think it said but I’d have to look again. So hopefully I can pile up enough to cover the summer ac and the short winter days. That’s the plan anyway. I run the ac a lot in the summer. I sweat all day at work and I’m not gonna sweat watching tv.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #215  
A/C is still very rare here even on upscale homes...

My Carrier dates from 1993 and still works well but the meter starts a spinning.

Home I grew up in is 2400 square feet circa 1958 with single pane windows and a gas furnace and hot water.

Summer or winter the daily kW use averages 12...

/ another hiccup to going solar? #216  
Those Carrier type a/c units will spin the meter. Now heat pumps, super efficient, and they can provide heat as well. Had them installed with solar, that was the way to go for me. Moved to VT and got cold climate heat pumps. Again, even with no solar up here, that was the way to go for me...

/ another hiccup to going solar? #217  
I saw an article recently that says Chinese solar panels are a glut on the market. Now is the time to buy. Once the Ferengi wipe out all the competition they will jack prices up again.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #218  
California about wiped out the solar market in CA. Both SCE and PGE got the Public Utilities Commission (who they OWN) to basically make solar a minimum of 20 year payback. Thousands of solar installer jobs have been lost in the last year.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #219  
California about wiped out the solar market in CA. Both SCE and PGE got the Public Utilities Commission (who they OWN) to basically make solar a minimum of 20 year payback. Thousands of solar installer jobs have been lost in the last year.
They didn't "make" solar a 20 yr payback.

Solar was already that or more. Til govt forced them to subsidize residential solar . That cost was passed onto all non solar customers. So non solar customers paid a lot more, solar customers were way over compensated.

They just balancing the playing field back to what it ought to be

/ another hiccup to going solar? #220  
They didn't "make" solar a 20 yr payback.

Solar was already that or more. Til govt forced them to subsidize residential solar . That cost was passed onto all non solar customers. So non solar customers paid a lot more, solar customers were way over compensated.

They just balancing the playing field back to what it ought to be
Apparently you don’t have any investments. When you invest you anticipate getting a return on your investment. People who can’t afford to invest do not make that return, they pay the return to the investors. If you invested in oil or pharmaceuticals then non-investors are providing your return.