another hiccup to going solar?

/ another hiccup to going solar? #81  
I don't think I'll ever experience the ups/downs of solar. It has been determined that there is insufficient sunlight here to justify solar. This could change as solar becomes more efficient. The current systems are simply too expensive and would be needing replacement long before any benefits would be realized.
I'm waiting for them to perfect solar shingles

/ another hiccup to going solar? #82  
The way it's always been here. I get wholesale rates for power I create over what I use and that only happens once a year. This is why it's better to not produce more than you use each year.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #83  
The way it's always been here. I get wholesale rates for power I create over what I use and that only happens once a year. This is why it's better to not produce more than you use each year.

I wish our delta was calculated yearly instead of monthly.

I’d double my system and generate massive power during the summer months. Help out the winter month shortfalls.

They way it is now, basically size the system to not exceed total usage in July/August months as to not give the power company free energy.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #84  

I’d double my system and generate massive power during the summer months. Help out the winter month shortfalls.

They way it is now, basically size the system to not exceed total usage in July/August months as to not give the power company free energy.
So instead of making more than you use during the day.....and using more than you make during the night where it stays pretty balanced....You'd rather have the power company "store" your summer energy as credit for half a year till you need it more in the winter at no additional charge to you?

/ another hiccup to going solar? #85  
No one is asking you to have sympathy for the power company.

"Profit" has seem to become such a bad word in the eyes of so many people anymore. Synonymous with "greed".

Isnt that the goal of business......to make a profit? Why are they any different? They have shareholders that want to make a return, employees that want benefits and pay raises, etc.

I have electric bills from TWO providers out of the THREE in my area. There is no "laundry" list of other charges like you see with cell phones or cable TV. My bill has FOUR charges. Generation/transmission, distribution, meter charge, and tax. Thats it. Its actually one of the simplest bills I get.

And most people pay MORE for Internet/TV and Cell phones per month than we do for electric.

IT simply doesnt make sense to FORCE a power company to pay MORE for raw power just because it comes from a residential solar customer. But you are right, the power companies arent suffering at all. The increase cost of having to cater to the 5% with solar is distributed out to the remaining 95%.
I'm not sure the exact amount, but in VT, we have to pay a fee that goes to Efficiency VT, which in turn, gives it out as rebates etc. for people "greening" up their purchaces of electricity consuming appliances. They want us to use heat pumps, which we do, (and love them) but they get expensive in winters deep freeze temps. And we are penalized (fee paying) for using what they are pushing...

Why should I subsidize others?

Last edited:
   / another hiccup to going solar? #86  
The system needs a reset.

We have large hydro facilities nearby. Our co-op providing power to my house does not use the power generated 20 miles away. They use power generated 100 miles away. The power generated 20 miles away is used 500 miles away.

When a very large industrial user went out of business and shut down, all residential user small business users saw a rate increase. Larger companies did not.

We (as most users do) have two main components on our statements. Usage in KwHrs and Facilities (lines, poles, substations, tree trimming,etc.) As long as we are connected, we pay the facilities charges, whether we use s single watt of power or not. I can understand that.

Users that go solar or wind SHOULD be able to get full credit for KwHrs generated and sold back to the grid, or at least the wholesale price the utilities pay other providers. They should not have to pay for not using power, or get paid less for generating it.

Now, the really bad part is that in some places, all addresses are required to pay the facilities charge even if they are not connected to the grid at all. Don't ask me for specific examples because I can't quote them right now. But I have read more than a few articles on it.
As a former solar houshold (10+ years) in CT, we were paid a much lower amount at the end of our "year" for unused power it was maybe 1/4 of full price. I agree with that. Why should I profit like the power company, forcing other users to subsidize my system? Going rate is fair in my opinion.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #87  
There is never any savings in electricity cost if you are using Solar or Wind. Both are not cost effective, that's why there are tax break incentives (subsidies) with both.

I'm off grid solar and it is not the cheapest way to get power. But it is less expensive than running a diesel generator.
Batteries are the most expensive part of an off grid solar electric system. Which is the biggest reason people want to have grid-tied systems. Making the utility be thier battery.
After subsities of about 30% or so, payoff for system that provided 100% of our needs, was 9 years. Figure another 3 or 4 if no subsity. When we sold our home, solar provided an increase in sales price more than enough to cover initial outlay. Yes, making the utility our battery was key...

/ another hiccup to going solar? #88  

I have a 9.8KW array. It products 98% of what I use during the year. The credit I create usually last until some time in January or February. My payout date is early march. I guess it depends on the state you are in, but I agree, a monthly payout would just suck and I think the power company is just ripping you off.

/ another hiccup to going solar? #89  
So instead of making more than you use during the day.....and using more than you make during the night where it stays pretty balanced....You'd rather have the power company "store" your summer energy as credit for half a year till you need it more in the winter at no additional charge to you?
That is the way it works in NY. You get a credit on your bill and they take from that credit. Once a year, on a date that you can set, the power company gives you $ credited to your bill at the current wholesale rate for any KW credits you have remaining. For me that is usually nothing.