Another form of identity theft.

/ Another form of identity theft. #1  

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
I was still in bed and my cell phone kept ringing. I finally got up and answered it. It was a number similar to mine. Same area code and office code. The caller wanted to know what I wanted as "This number had called my earlier". I had to explain at length that I had not called and that telemarketers "spoof" local numbers to their intended victims to make them pick up the phone because the area and office codes are the same, and they think it is someone local that they might know. Of course it is just someone that wants to squeeze a dollar out of them for something, and is likely on the other side of the globe.

I hate telemarketers, and their low life methods. It ought to be a crime to "spoof" Caller-id, and using an actual existing local number (like mine) is really low life.

/ Another form of identity theft. #2  
Which is why if the number calling is not in my contact list, I don't answer the call. I have my voicemail set to max number of rings before it picks up. If they don't leave a message, they don't get called back. It has taken some time using this system, my telemarking calls have dropped off to about zero.

/ Another form of identity theft. #3  
I hate that as well, was getting 4-6 a day.

apple put a feature on their phone That will not even ring your phone unless the number is in your address book. It’s amazing, if it’s a call I am waiting on, they leave a message and I call them back.

/ Another form of identity theft. #4  
Which is why if the number calling is not in my contact list, I don't answer the call. I have my voicemail set to max number of rings before it picks up. If they don't leave a message, they don't get called back. It has taken some time using this system, my telemarking calls have dropped off to about zero.

Same here except I have set my machine to pick up after just 3 rings. That way I don't have to sit there listening to multiple rings. I know that I probably won't get to the phone to pick up a valid call in time but those type callers will always leave a message.;

/ Another form of identity theft. #5  
I was still in bed and my cell phone kept ringing. I finally got up and answered it. It was a number similar to mine. Same area code and office code. The caller wanted to know what I wanted as "This number had called my earlier". I had to explain at length that I had not called and that telemarketers "spoof" local numbers to their intended victims to make them pick up the phone because the area and office codes are the same, and they think it is someone local that they might know. Of course it is just someone that wants to squeeze a dollar out of them for something, and is likely on the other side of the globe.

I hate telemarketers, and their low life methods. It ought to be a crime to "spoof" Caller-id, and using an actual existing local number (like mine) is really low life.
I voiced my opinion about such scum on Fake Book. Got suspended from posting for 24 hours...... Imagine that..... The largest data harvester in the World punishing me for saying we need to hunt these people down and hang them from a tree until they rot down....

/ Another form of identity theft. #6  
My calls have fallen way off for both phones. Used to get 5 or 6 per day. Only getting 1 to 2 per week now.

I've had several calls from people saying they had a missed call from me.

I simply explain that it was probably a robo-call spoofing my number.

Although I did have a strange call one day. Lady called me and said I texted her my number and to call me

Come to find out, it was her husband forwarding my number to her in case they had an issue with their rental equipment. Took some jockeying around on the phone with questions on both our parts before we figured out what was going on.

I met the gentleman the next day and we had a good laugh about the call from his wife

/ Another form of identity theft. #7  
For some reason calls to both of my numbers have ended since the first of the year. I do sometimes which that I could spoof a call... when using my home phone to call a work contact it would be nice to be able to have it show my cell #.

/ Another form of identity theft.
I voiced my opinion about such scum on Fake Book. Got suspended from posting for 24 hours...... Imagine that..... The largest data harvester in the World punishing me for saying we need to hunt these people down and hang them from a tree until they rot down....
Upside down with their intestines hanging to the ground.

Does that seem harsh? :)

/ Another form of identity theft. #9  
The people to hate are the ones running the telemarketing company. They hire folks who are down on their luck and have no other options. Pay is terrible as you'd expect. I've had family members do that work when they had to, and they got out as soon as they found something better. So I'm not rude to the telemarketer unless they're rude to me. I just say no thanks and hang up on them. If I even answer. I rarely answer strange numbers even if they're in my exchange.

Spoofing the calling number is easy if you have the right access. The protocols are not secure.

/ Another form of identity theft.
For some reason calls to both of my numbers have ended since the first of the year. I do sometimes which that I could spoof a call... when using my home phone to call a work contact it would be nice to be able to have it show my cell #.
it is easy enough to do if you have a PRI or ISDN line or now a SIP line and a small PBX to do it with. An old Nortel BCM-50 will easily do it. They can't sell for much nowadays. But I don't want to be hung upside down with my intestines spilling out on the ground, so I am not going to tell you how to do that. :)