Another Craigslist thread

/ Another Craigslist thread #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Anyone but me think that craigslist should have a reply button, such that the reply is visible to any who view the ad, kinda like a forum so to speak?

I see a lot of posts, (specifically when searching for something using a keyword or what not) where someone has replied to the thread. Usually to question their pricing.:laughing: Or to tell them to stop making 10 posts a day for the same item in MANY different categories.

There have been many times where I have created an ad to basically reply to someone who IMO was way out of line with their pricing. I know I know, all someone has to do is educate themself with whatever they are about to buy, but it still irks me knowing they will probable take advantage of someone.

Its usually regarding something or another like harbor freight items for sale for 50% markup.

I dont really have an issue with asking more than an item is worth. But when the ad insists that the item cost $xx new and they are selling it for half price.....when that is a load of BS it bothers me for some reason.

Case in point, asking $9 for a stick of rebar 1/2" x 20' claiming it is half price cause it cost $18 new.:confused2:

Se it alot with building materials to, like lumber and plywood. Asking the same or more than it would cost to go to menards or HD or Lowes and buy.

Just too many examples to even list. Just think it would be nice to reply and call some of these people out. CL used to be awesome, Now its either flooded with crap like this, or dealers posting up a ton of crap. Glad they at least have the option to select "all, by dealer, or by owner". Even though alot of dealers dont follow the rules.

/ Another Craigslist thread #2  
I've seen them take the actual HF adds and put them on e-bay.

/ Another Craigslist thread #4  
There a lot if idiots on Craigslist that's for sure, buying and selling. But it sure isn't any of my business what someone asks for an item. I have seen the same thing in Classified sections on forums. People selling an item and then someone jumping in saying he has one for 1/2 the price. Or you can buy new for this price. I never understood why people thought they should do this. If you don't like the price then move on. I would be careful doing this. If they report you then you may very well get booted off the site.

/ Another Craigslist thread
There a lot if idiots on Craigslist that's for sure, buying and selling. But it sure isn't any of my business what someone asks for an item. I have seen the same thing in Classified sections on forums. People selling an item and then someone jumping in saying he has one for 1/2 the price. Or you can buy new for this price. I never understood why people thought they should do this. If you don't like the price then move on. I would be careful doing this. If they report you then you may very well get booted off the site.

I dont have a problem with someone asking whatever they want for an item.

I have a problem with someone lying and falsely claiming it cost $xx new when in fact it cost half that new.

IE: if someone wants to list plywood for $15/sheet (when it cost $12 new) I have no issue with that.

Someone listing plywood for $15/sheet, "claiming" it cost $25 per sheet" when in fact it actually cost $12/sheet new....this is what I have a prblem with.

But beyond the price thing, a reply just to help everyone out. Like all the 9n/2n's listed as 8n's. Not that I think the seller is trying to cheat anyone, rather they are just un-informed and dont know any better. A simple reply to help them out would be nice.

/ Another Craigslist thread #6  
I don't know about posting for the world to see but I have sent craigslist a response to a fraudulent posting trying to sell a 2008 Honda Goldwing for $2700.
I made several inquires to the poster and got a lot of BS in response. Then told them I would be in their city in two days to see the bike. No further response.

The post disappeared from all the locations they had posted by the next day. Craigslist took the case seriously.

/ Another Craigslist thread #7  
I've seen them take the actual HF adds and put them on e-bay.
With a markup I am sure?

Happens all the time around here. Especially the "freebies".

I dont have a problem with someone asking whatever they want for an item.

I have a problem with someone lying and falsely claiming it cost $xx new when in fact it cost half that new.

IE: if someone wants to list plywood for $15/sheet (when it cost $12 new) I have no issue with that.

Someone listing plywood for $15/sheet, "claiming" it cost $25 per sheet" when in fact it actually cost $12/sheet new....this is what I have a prblem with.

But beyond the price thing, a reply just to help everyone out. Like all the 9n/2n's listed as 8n's. Not that I think the seller is trying to cheat anyone, rather they are just un-informed and dont know any better. A simple reply to help them out would be nice.

Frequently items can cost what they claim. I was trying to buy 6 full sheets of 3/4 marine plywood. I called all the local lumberyards (within 40 miles) and none would even order it. HD and Lowes listed it for $75 but with notes like
This item is not available in any stores within 100 miles of 22304.

I finally found it about 12 miles away, the only local source was a "custom" lumberyard used by cabinet makers, hobbyists, etc. They wanted $150/sheet.

So I used PT plywood and waited on the marine. Picked the marine plywood up 900 miles away in Fulton, MS for $70/sheet and rebuilt my trailer down there.

Today I see advertised on CL a sheet of marine plywood for $100, 10 miles from me in Alexandria, Va. Now did that guy buy it locally for $150 ? He could have.

What gets me are the people that advertise the same item, with the same picture, for years drastically overpriced. Like a Ford 8n for $6,000 that looks like it's worth maybe $1,000.

/ Another Craigslist thread #8  
What gets me are the people that advertise the same item, with the same picture, for years drastically overpriced. Like a Ford 8n for $6,000 that looks like it's worth maybe $1,000.

Wife: "You have to sell that old tractor!"

Husband: "I'm trying. I've advertised it for a year, but no one wants that old tractor."

Bruce

/ Another Craigslist thread #9  
Buyer Beware always applies, on the internet or anywhere else. The overpriced stuff will always be there. The vehicle scams seem to always be on CraigsList but at least they are relatively easy to spot. It's always something advertised for about 1/3 of the fair price with a generic picture and unclear location. For a while I wondered why they made it so obvious but then someone explained to me that the scams are always too good to be true to weed out the sceptics and suck in the more gullible buyers, so as to not waste a lot of time.

There are some people who have cars, tractors, motorcycles, RVs, whatever, that they don't really need to sell but if someone will pay over market, they will sell it and move on to the next project. Since Craigs List is free, it doesn't cost anything to give it a try. I don't think this is unethical as long as you don't advertise it as being below fair market.

/ Another Craigslist thread #10  
I don't know about posting for the world to see but I have sent craigslist a response to a fraudulent posting trying to sell a 2008 Honda Goldwing for $2700.
I made several inquires to the poster and got a lot of BS in response. Then told them I would be in their city in two days to see the bike. No further response.

The post disappeared from all the locations they had posted by the next day. Craigslist took the case seriously.
I have done the same and Craigslist has pulled the ad that I referenced. Couple of days later the same item shows up worded slightly different in a new ad.

You figure that someone can easily use a different email address in case theirs gets flagged. I don't blame Craigslist after all, it is "free". Common sense applies wether your are buying or selling.