Another Barn Razing thread.

/ Another Barn Razing thread. #1  

brokenknee

Platinum Member
Just read the thread of the barn razing cleaning up the past.

I am looking at purchasing a piece of property with an old barn that collapsed just this winter from the snow load. The barn is about 60 X 120 I think. Talking to my mortgage broker he said he did not think a loan would be approved until a. the barn was removed b. money escrow-ed to have the barn removed within 3 months of closing.

Since this does not sound like I will be allowed to do the work myself, I was wondering what the approximate cost would be to remove such a structure. I realize cost are a local thing, but just trying to get some idea what to expect.

The property is in Northern MN, I know the labor rates are cheaper there than where I am currently located (central MN)

/ Another Barn Razing thread. #2  
So far I have several days and $20 in diesel(to start the fire).
Barn Razing cleaning up the past. It would depend on how much stuff was in the collapsed barn. I was amazed at how complete the burn was. After all of the metal was hauled off there is not much left except nails and a few cinder blocks.

/ Another Barn Razing thread.
So far I have several days and $20 in diesel(to start the fire).
Barn Razing cleaning up the past. It would depend on how much stuff was in the collapsed barn. I was amazed at how complete the burn was. After all of the metal was hauled off there is not much left except nails and a few cinder blocks.

I did read your thread, I hope to do something similar. This may be something that needs to be taken care of prior to purchasing the property if the inspector deems it a safety hazard.

The property is bank owned, I believe the owner that lost it had some anger issues do to the condition he left the property in. He took the lighting fixtures, closet and bedroom doors are missing, the doors that are left have holes in them, kitchen cabinets have doors ripped off, drawers busted up. You get the idea.

I have the tools and the knowledge to take care of most of it and I am not afraid of a little hard work. Just trying to get an idea of the amount of work and cost of repairs prior to making an offer.

/ Another Barn Razing thread. #4  
Well if you are looking to have the bank reduce the cost of the property to cover the removal, then I would have a contractor give a bid on the demolition and hauling off of the materials. If I had it to do again with me owning it, I would do it just like I did. Put a match to it. there is no where near as much debris to dispose of. Pictures would help in the estimate of removal.

Well if you are looking to have the bank reduce the cost of the property to cover the removal, then I would have a contractor give a bid on the demolition and hauling off of the materials. If I had it to do again with me owning it, I would do it just like I did. Put a match to it. there is no where near as much debris to dispose of. Pictures would help in the estimate of removal.

I will try to post pictures early next week. Right now I am back at my place in Central MN, about 150 miles south of the property.

Here it is.

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

/ Another Barn Razing thread. #7  
I have to say that barn is begging to be burnt. Could you talk to the local VFD and see if they would be interested in monitoring a burn? Then all you would have to do is haul off the debris that would not burn.

/ Another Barn Razing thread. #8  
I work for a bank that has a lot of bank-owned properties. I can't imagine that getting rid of a farm with a collapsed barn is an easy project for the bank. If you're willing to take it with the barn in its present condition, get a couple of estimates to have it removed. Ask the bank to reduce he price based on the estimates. Then let the new lender escrow the funds to have it removed, which should result in the same loan amount through the new lender. After you take title, get to work on removing the barn, then request the escrowed funds. Nothing says you have to hire somebody to do it. The bank just wants to make sure it gets done. They should have no problem with you doing it yourself. They just want to have the funds available if you don't do the job.

You can PM me if you need any additional info.

I work for a bank that has a lot of bank-owned properties. I can't imagine that getting rid of a farm with a collapsed barn is an easy project for the bank. If you're willing to take it with the barn in its present condition, get a couple of estimates to have it removed. Ask the bank to reduce he price based on the estimates. Then let the new lender escrow the funds to have it removed, which should result in the same loan amount through the new lender. After you take title, get to work on removing the barn, then request the escrowed funds. Nothing says you have to hire somebody to do it. The bank just wants to make sure it gets done. They should have no problem with you doing it yourself. They just want to have the funds available if you don't do the job.

You can PM me if you need any additional info.

I would be willing to take it in the present condition if we can come to an agreement on the price. My problem is with the mortgage company approving the loan.

The agent I am working with has a son on the VFD and said she will ask him to bring it up at their next meeting. She did say it normally is not a problem to have a "practice burn" to get rid of old barns in the area.

I have to say that barn is begging to be burnt. Could you talk to the local VFD and see if they would be interested in monitoring a burn? Then all you would have to do is haul off the debris that would not burn.

You don't think I could just reset the rafters? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: