Another 2325 (60" MMM) story

/ Another 2325 (60" MMM) story #1  

blackd

Platinum Member
Tractor
Yanmar FX24D replaced with Massey GC2400
I was mowing yesterday and noticed a strange smell. Smelt like something was very hot. Shut it off and looked at the MMM, and saw smoke coming from the idler pulley. Called my Massey dealer, a very good Guy, and he said the part will be in Thursday. While taking off the pulley decided that I might as well order the adjustment arm to which the the pulley is attached. BTW, the pulley came off fairly easily with some WD40 and a little persuasion. The deck has ~340 hrs on it, and the pulley has no zerk to grease it. No, nothing has changed on the deck, other than to sharpen the blades, since the last maintenance done by the dealer.

So, I will replace the blades with the new Land Pride version with this repair and let you know how they work out.

/ Another 2325 (60" MMM) story
OK. I found a universal idler pulley, $17. I also have the original pulley and the mounting hardware on order, ~$125.

I also mounted the new Land Pride blades while I had the deck off for maintenance. No immediate difference than the original Massey blades. They may be a tad lower than the originals. I have the center blade doubled up with the old Massey blade to see if there was a difference. At this point I can tell none.

/ Another 2325 (60" MMM) story #3  
Thanks for posting. I hear a lot about the Land Pride blades.

My MMM now has only about 125hrs, I guess. I'll keep an eye on that idler.

/ Another 2325 (60" MMM) story #4  
Can you please advise the landpride part number for the blade - i would like to try that.

Double posted in the GC2400 upgrades thread. Posted here for max visibility.

GC 2325 blades. The price of MF blades is crazy. Has anyone tried this combination? Oregon 91-584 with a 02-452 (3/4" X 1") adapter. Blade sp[ecs are: L 20 15/16" Ctr hole 1" W 2.5" and thickness .25". Total price for 3 blades, adapters and shipping is $48.08 (there is a 10% discount) from Lawn Mower Parts .

Except for the Ctr hole it matches the MF 3606888M1 blade.

Oregon blades can be found here: http://oregonchain.com/OEP/pdfs/2010...esByLength.pdf

Here's my blade thread with more info. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/massey-ferguson-owning-operating/244588-gc-2325-blades.html

You need the insert and then to ream them out to 20MM. I had a cheap Harbor Freight grinding wheel to chuck in my hand drill. It took about 15 minutes to ream all three. Keep some water handy to cool them during the reaming process.

Earlier I said I'd report back on the landpride blades. Well here it is. they worked as well as the Massey blades. No big surprise, as they are the same specs, except for center hole, as the Massey.

I have concluded that we have some tough, tough, tough weeds here. New blades and the weeds were cut, except for where they wheels bent them down. As the blades got a little more wear there were a few more left standing.

If you remember I said I doubled the middle blades, put the old on on with the new to see if it made a difference. It didn't seem to make much difference. I've had the deck off twice in the past two days, and the last I dropped it, I tried even another experiment. I sharpened the new LandPride blades and the old blades and put them both on at 90 degrees. So I now have doubled blades on each spindle. Some weeds still stood after cutting with this configuration. I lost ~50 RPM in engine speed, and the mower sounds like its ready to take off. Quite a whirrrrrr.

So, I repeat we have some tough weeds down this way. This is the tough little bugger: WeedAlert.com Weed Listing (False Dandelion) Their seeds clog up everything, and can overheat the engine. Cutting the grass can be like bush hogging. Oh wait! I am doing the equivalent. I cut a pasture field after every 2-3 times I cut my own grass. I do have some in my own yard, but they are smaller and shorter.

/ Another 2325 (60" MMM) story #7  
OK. I found a universal idler pulley, $17. I also have the original pulley and the mounting hardware on order, ~$125.

I also mounted the new Land Pride blades while I had the deck off for maintenance. No immediate difference than the original Massey blades. They may be a tad lower than the originals. I have the center blade doubled up with the old Massey blade to see if there was a difference. At this point I can tell none.
Hi. Can you tell me where to get this aftermarket idler pulley. I have the MF 2325 mower deck. Idler pulley overheated and had to get it pressed/pulled off the shaft. Thanks

Hi. Can you tell me where to get this aftermarket idler pulley. I have the MF 2325 mower deck. Idler pulley overheated and had to get it pressed/pulled off the shaft. Thanks
Sorry, it's been too much time to remember or find any receipt. I also have the 2320 deck for sale on CL, since I haven't used it because of getting a ZT mower.