Annuities?

/ Annuities? #121  
I hate hearing about conflicts over an estate. Actually the whole experience drew my sisters and I closer. We talk at least three or four times a week on the phone or in person. Same thing with my wife and her sister. They seem to be closer now than ever. Her sister was very much in favor of selling their dad's place to our youngest daughter and has become a very welcome influence on her great niece and nephew.

Also, my comments on not using a lawyer to settle those estates must be qualified in that the estates were very simple with all the properties sold and the proceeds divided equally. I can see an estate easily being complicated enough that legal help would be needed.

RSKY

/ Annuities? #122  
Seems like if you doubled your money in 20 years of investing, you have lost quite a bit, due to our economic policies in America. Really if you doubled your money in the last 5 years, you probably broke even…anyone do that with their investments?
We've always sought to double our net worth every 7-8 years. That requires us to make about 7% on our investments annually. That's a LONG TERM average. We're in it for the long haul. Despite the past two years, we are up 11%, so about 5.5% each of those two years on average. That wasn't though the investments, they are still a bit down. We were able to do that through salary savings because the kids moved out after graduating college. Either way, we're still on track to double our net worth over the past 7-8 years, just like before.

/ Annuities? #123  
Really if you doubled your money in the last 5 years, you probably broke even…anyone do that with their investments?
I don't think I've doubled my money in the last 5 years, but I'm still well ahead of where I was then, even with the losses in 2022.

/ Annuities?
Well, just came back from the bank with the misses.

We ended up going with 4.25% for 9 months.

Not the greatest, but at least the money just isn't sitting there doing nothing.

Got a lot to think about, but I have some time now.

/ Annuities? #125  
I think my next investment is going to be T bills.
they are free from state and local taxes. Only pay federal taxes.
Depending on the term, they are around the 5% mark

/ Annuities? #126  
Well, just came back from the bank with the misses.

We ended up going with 4.25% for 9 months.

Not the greatest, but at least the money just isn't sitting there doing nothing.

Got a lot to think about, but I have some time now.
CD?

/ Annuities?
Yes.

Getting a slim grasp on annuities, variable annuities (which my old 401K is actually in) as well as some other options (sincere thanks for the member who also mentioned municipal bonds who I talked with).

Lots of options, the reality is at this point in our lives, we're banking on our 401K's (as well as our house and land which we own no money on), but there are other options out there as well for "investing".

Was not impressed with the new credit union we joined. Their rate on CD's were less than 3% and asked a direct question as to differences as to why they were lower, with NO response. Sorry, that just irritates (no response to a potential new customer) me as I have no qualms with telling a "financial advisor" that I'm an idiot and would like things explained to me.

End of the day, need to learn the stock market, which sad to say I really have no interest in. Just got to figure out how to get interested in it LOL

Bottom line, get 4.25% back, someone is making more money on it for you (investing it elsewhere) which you don't see Iin my humble opinion.

I can get a deal on a couple of pallets on R410A, might be a better bet after 2025 LMAO

/ Annuities? #128  
End of the day, need to learn the stock market, which sad to say I really have no interest in. Just got to figure out how to get interested in it LOL
Many/Most professional stock pickers have a miserable record at picking stocks. Flip a coin success rate.

The safest way to invest in the market is in a low cost index fund and don't panic WHEN the fund falls in price. You still own the same amount of stock even though the price has fallen and it is worth less ON PAPER. Once sold, at a lower price than the purchase price, THEN one took a loss.

I knew people who were retired and panicked in a market crash in the early 90's. They panicked, sold their stock and lost quite a bit of money. If they had just held onto the stock they would have lost NOTHING. The value was down, i.e., their wealth declined, but it was all on paper, and in a year or so the value, and their wealth, would have been back to where it had been before the crash.

If the market falls to a point where a broad based index fund is truly worthless, well, that will be the least of our concerns.

/ Annuities? #129  
On CD’s I’ve heard many so ‘oh I don’t want to tie up my money for 1,2,3 etc. years’. If needed just cash them in early and take the 90 day interest penalty. No biggie for most. And when they were only paying 1% then truly no biggie. 😏

/ Annuities?
On CD’s I’ve heard many so ‘oh I don’t want to tie up my money for 1,2,3 etc. years’. If needed just cash them in early and take the 90 day interest penalty. No biggie for most. And when they were only paying 1% then truly no biggie. 😏
I look at investing kind of like gambling. Only put in what you're willing to lose. That said, CD's at the time seem like the safest bet. I believe I'm getting a better understanding of why.