Annual Chimney Cleaning

/ Annual Chimney Cleaning #1  

Dr_Zinj

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT230
Chimney Cleaning 1.jpgChimney Cleaning 3.jpgChimney Cleaning 2.jpg

Tractor and FEL make getting up and down from the roof a lot easier, and provide me a more stable work area holding the ladder in place. And yes, there's a 4x4 wedged under the FEL so it doesn't come down on me or collapse under me if the pressure leaks down. I tested it and it works great!

/ Annual Chimney Cleaning #2  
If you were in the south, I would call it a hi tech redneck ladder, but since you're from up north I'll just call it yankee ingenuity lol. Good job, and I see nothing wrong with it. Can't tell in the pic's, but maybe next time you chock the wheels on the tractor too??

/ Annual Chimney Cleaning
No need to chock the wheels, I just drop the backblade and it ain't going nowhere.

/ Annual Chimney Cleaning #4  
I would not do that at all. It is easy to make a J shaped piece of iron to hook over the ridge of the roof and on to two rungs of a ladder to hold a section of ladder instead of rigging something and hurting your self. Ed

/ Annual Chimney Cleaning #6  
Dr Zinj
If you Take a piece of 1" x 1/4 iron bar and shape it like a J. Bolt a piece of angle to the end of it to hook on the 2nd rung of your ladder and use a muffler clamp to bolt it to your 1st rung you will have a roof hook. Add a piece of angle to the end so it won't dig into your roof and you are good to go. You can figure size by your ladder. Ed

/ Annual Chimney Cleaning #7  
Nice setup. Looks like it works like a charm.

Couple of tons of tractor and a 1000# capacity loader to simply hold a ladder and people still think its unsafe and would rather rely on some 1/4" barstock and a muffler clamp jerry-rigged onto the ladder and hooked on the roof......

I like the tractor better IMO.

I got it easy when it comes to cleaning my chimney though. Nice low 4/12 shingle roof with an old 3-legged tv antenna tower at the gable peak to climb. No ladder needed and easy walking on the roof.

/ Annual Chimney Cleaning #8  
Dr Zinj
If you Take a piece of 1" x 1/4 iron bar and shape it like a J. Bolt a piece of angle to the end of it to hook on the 2nd rung of your ladder and use a muffler clamp to bolt it to your 1st rung you will have a roof hook. Add a piece of angle to the end so it won't dig into your roof and you are good to go. You can figure size by your ladder. Ed

Or just go the the hardware store and buy a ladder hook for under $20 that is designed to hold a ladder over the roof peak.

/ Annual Chimney Cleaning
Ed: I considered that as a need to hold and stabilize the ladder lying on the roof. However, I still need something to lift the ladder up there (I'm not Superman or the Hulk); and the FEL fits that bill perfectly, at least for the lower roof. Once I'd done that, I realized that putting a hook on the ladder was superfluous. Parking the tractor with the blade down and the brakes engaged and locked, and then blocking the lift provides just as much safety as the hook would. After all, use of the FEL as a lifting jack is standard procedure for all kinds of things like pulling engines and transmissions, or even holding a work platform, as long as jack stands or similar devices are used to prevent unexpected drops.

On the other hand, the FEL doesn't go high enough to do anything with the upper roof, so there the ladder hooks would work. Problem is, with a hook, it tends to tear up the shingles as it slide up and over them. A pair of rollers bolted to a hook and angled in such a way that it rolls up the roof, but the roller don't touch it after it slips over the ridge would work nicely. Of course if you have a scissor lift and roof jacks, then you don't need to worry about it. However, how many of us are so flush with cash we can go right out and buy, or even rent that sort of thing all the time?

/ Annual Chimney Cleaning #10  
Why not just get the proper sized ladder and lean it against the side of the chimney? I keep a 40 footer around just for such occaisions if needed. Spent most of my life on ladders... never once put one in a FEL! Get the right tool for the job my dad always told me... bless his soul.