angle grinder discs

/ angle grinder discs #1  

joea99

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B21, JD 240GT
It's welding related, cause, well, grinder.

Anyway ordered a PFERD 4 1/2 threaded arbor disc to try out. Since I have never used either before, 2 Birds one disc. Threads on nicely and will give it a test soon, but, is that it? Just over hand tight an neither arbor adapter plate involved? Seems to be the idea as the disk has a hex on one side, presumably for a wrench.

/ angle grinder discs #2  
Never had to use a wrench (other than 2 pin wrench for cutoff wheels) almost ever thing I use was always put on hand tight and usually can grip it enough it will loosen, BUT if you have to use a wrench to loosen you must....

/ angle grinder discs #3  
I will be waiting for a review. The Pferd stuff is pretty expensive compared to most grinding discs. They would really have to out perform the conventional stuff to be worthwhile for me. Buy my grinding discs by the carton and cut off wheels as well.

/ angle grinder discs #4  
Guys in the field put disks on and off without tools, in general anyway. At my work, one 5" grinder had a brake and I HATED it since the wheels I put on it kept coming off. (braking would unscrew the nut) I bought a new one for myself a few months ago and got one without a &^%#@ brake!

/ angle grinder discs
I will be waiting for a review. The Pferd stuff is pretty expensive compared to most grinding discs. They would really have to out perform the conventional stuff to be worthwhile for me. Buy my grinding discs by the carton and cut off wheels as well.

So far all I can say is it removes steel better/faster than anything I ever tried before. A light touch works fine.

Cannot attest to how long it will wear, but from grinding down some "over welds" it seems to have held up pretty well. With other discs I could see wear at this point.

/ angle grinder discs #6  
It's welding related, cause, well, grinder.

Anyway ordered a PFERD 4 1/2 threaded arbor disc to try out. Since I have never used either before, 2 Birds one disc. Threads on nicely and will give it a test soon, but, is that it? Just over hand tight an neither arbor adapter plate involved? Seems to be the idea as the disk has a hex on one side, presumably for a wrench.

I never use tools to tighten up disks, I just use the disk itself to tighten and loosen the arbor.

/ angle grinder discs #7  
So far all I can say is it removes steel better/faster than anything I ever tried before. A light touch works fine.

Cannot attest to how long it will wear, but from grinding down some "over welds" it seems to have held up pretty well. With other discs I could see wear at this point.
Lets have a long term viability test compared to say an average bonded grinding disc. I go through a lot of them. Would be nice to decrease the amount but it also has to be viable cost wise.

I buy the vitrified discs by the case all the time. I've kind of went with the HF 4.5" thin kerf cut off discs. Hard to beat a dozen for 6 bucks and they work pretty well too.

/ angle grinder discs
Lets have a long term viability test compared to say an average bonded grinding disc. I go through a lot of them. Would be nice to decrease the amount but it also has to be viable cost wise.

I buy the vitrified discs by the case all the time. I've kind of went with the HF 4.5" thin kerf cut off discs. Hard to beat a dozen for 6 bucks and they work pretty well too.
If you want me to run that test, might be a long wait. I don't do enough metal grinding to be able to run a "viable" test.

I got this one, for my own evaluation.

PFERD 4-1/2" CC-Grind -Solid 5/8-11 Thread - SG for Steel (61220): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

/ angle grinder discs #9  
I just want to know the useful life compared to a standard bonded disk because the per disk cost for the Pferd is pretty steep so it has to outlast at least a couple bonded conventional discs to be viable. If they are the Holy Grail of grinding discs,. I'll buy a few as I said, I go through conventional discs like water, buy them in case quantity.

/ angle grinder discs #10  
I'll order one and do it myself and report back as I use a lot of conventional bonded 4.5's.