...and then my BX24 died...

/ ...and then my BX24 died... #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
As I was bush hogging the field... and getting about ready to be done for the night as light was quickly fading...

The tractor started loosing power - lurching - I thought "what has been maybe sucked under the hog?" So I killed the rear PTO... still the tractor languished - sounding less and less likely to keep running... so I upped the throttle - thinking - "she sounds like she's out of gas... but no way, because I just dumped 5 gallons in and the gauge reads full"

Soon - it was me - in the setting sun... on a silent tractor...

Expletives aside - I noted the following symptoms:
No sound of the fuel pump when the key was on... but the glow plug lights still registered
No head lights or turn signals... but the hazards worked
No life on the display - and no other idiot lights...

Had to be a fuse - so I pulled out the manual from under the seat... sure enough - it's a blown fuse labeled ACC 15A... replaced it with the spare 15A and she started right up - no issue...

So the question is - what the h-three-double hockey sticks blew that fuse...

Last edited:
   / ...and then my BX24 died... #2  
If you're lucky it was probably just a bad fuse....it happens.....if you're luck is anything like mine it's probably something else. Keep a spare fuse on hand and see if it happens again. If it does you'll have to troubleshoot to determine whether it's a bad component or a short somewhere.

Good Luck.

/ ...and then my BX24 died... #3  
I've had fews blow for no reason before in vehicles. The fuse could've been weak, or it could be a dead short.

I would check the wiring for any rubbing that might have occurred, but it could've just been a weak fuse.

Brian

/ ...and then my BX24 died...
fishpick said:
As I was bush hogging the field... and getting about ready to be done for the night as light was quickly fading...

The tractor started loosing power - lurching - I thought "what has been maybe sucked under the hog?" So I killed the rear PTO... still the tractor languished - sounding less and less likely to keep running... so I upped the throttle - thinking - "she sounds like she's out of gas... but no way, because I just dumped 5 gallons in and the gauge reads full"

Soon - it was me - in the setting sun... on a silent tractor...

Expletives aside - I noted the following symptoms:
No sound of the fuel pump when the key was on... but the glow plug lights still registered
No head lights or turn signals... but the hazards worked
No life on the display - and no other idiot lights...

Had to be a fuse - so I pulled out the manual from under the seat... sure enough - it's a blown fuse labeled ACC 15A... replaced it with the spare 15A and she started right up - no issue...

So the question is - what the h-three-double hockey sticks blew that fuse...

Blew again... 2X...

So I put the third fuse in, got under the tractor to look at the fuel pump and asked my wife to turn the key to the "pump on" position... sparks shooting out from under pump!

Where the 2 wire lead goes in it makes a sharp bend under the pump to stay clear of the front drive shaft... and that had rubbed the hot lead bare... Some electrical tape, a corrugated wire wrap and a re-routing of the harness should fix the issue! No more blown fuses after that...

Makes you wish ALL electrical issue were that simple to fix!

I would assume that this is something all BX24 owners may have to grapple with at some point - just seems like a poor design.

/ ...and then my BX24 died... #5  
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll check the wiring next time I'm under there...easier than doing it "out in the field.":D