And the motor went BOOM...

/ And the motor went BOOM... #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
Started the sander motor for the first time yesterday.. it was a motor that we just installed last February.. apparently the float was stuck and filled the cylinder with fuel and then..Boom.. Last spring the motor was fogged so I was certainly not expecting this to happen

Attachments

• IMG_1631.PNG
    IMG_1631.PNG
    5.2 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1632.PNG
    IMG_1632.PNG
    3.6 MB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1633.PNG
    IMG_1633.PNG
    4.7 MB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1634.PNG
    IMG_1634.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 222
   / And the motor went BOOM... #2  
Looks like a Briggs and Stratton . I buy the inline shut off valves in a bag of ten because I have had that gas tank drained into the crankcase problem a lot.

/ And the motor went BOOM... #3  
That,s a tough one to see happen, any warranty left ? Good idea about adding a fuel shut-off valve on the next one.

/ And the motor went BOOM... #4  
That,s a tough one to see happen, any warranty left ? Good idea about adding a fuel shut-off valve on the next one.

I have yet to find any decent shut-Off valves. I tried Briggs & Stratton brand and all five of them leaked. I can't have a leaky valve dripping in the garage or on the exhaust when running. I have tried several brands and none work well or long term.

/ And the motor went BOOM... #5  
the brass needle or ball valves generally don't leak. the plastic ones all fail for me as well.

/ And the motor went BOOM... #6  
   / And the motor went BOOM... #7  
That makes for a bad morning, especially when trying to get ready for use.

/ And the motor went BOOM... #8  
Started the sander motor for the first time yesterday.. it was a motor that we just installed last February.. apparently the float was stuck and filled the cylinder with fuel and then..Boom.. Last spring the motor was fogged so I was certainly not expecting this to happen
The oil would have had gas in it, didn't you check the oil before starting it???

SR

/ And the motor went BOOM... #10  
I got lucky on a Briggs motor on a Genset that sat over the winter one time. I pulled it out in the Spring to change the oil, and unscrewed the oil fill plug to be greeted by a pent-up deluge of gas/oil mix pouring out of the crankcase like a garden hose!

Drained the fuel tank and then tipped the generator on each side to get out every drop. Then I put fresh oil in, and tipped the generator on its sides again to try and force oil up on the cylinder walls.

Pulled the spark plug and slowly pulling the starter rope about 20 times really slow to get the piston moving. Put some gas in it and fired it up. It got an in-line fuel shut off mechanism after that.

Still have that generator 8 years or so later use it occasionally. But I still check the oil level first after it has set for a while.