an old welder (with armature)

/ an old welder (with armature) #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
Anybody know anything about this machine? Is there a name for it that can be shared on a family-friently forum? :D I assume the armature is an old-school method for increasing the frequency.

I "found" three of them in the crawlspace of an industrial building (in 2005), gave away 2 and kept one. Its still sitting there today.

Is it worth using? Worth selling? Doorstop? Is it 3phase?

attachment.php

This isn't my pic, its from google images. I tried in the crawlspace but cant get a good pic, the flash illuminates dust and it cant focus.

Attachments

• IMG_20141111_205022_624.jpg
    IMG_20141111_205022_624.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 8,119
   / an old welder (with armature) #2  
Looks just like the three phase battery chargers we used to use for our old electric forklifts.

Terry

/ an old welder (with armature) #3  
Old school dc welder. Always called them r2d2. Do not know actual name. A/c motor spinning DC generator, pretty decent welder in general. DC only as I recall, most were multi voltage also.

/ an old welder (with armature) #4  
I learned to weld with one of those at a trade school in 1953. Believe they were made by Hobart. WW II ships had them and they had a DC powered motor to drive the welder generator. The one at the school was 460 volts AC on the motor end. They were an Industrial grade unit and bullet proof. Voltage and Amperage output were both adjustable. DC output only. If my memory is not failing; GE and Lincoln also made similar ones. They were called a "torpedo" After WW II you saw lot of them for sale as war surplus. I would bit my money on it will work if intact and not been corroded in the inner works. Don't blame me if my memory has failed; I tried.

Ron

/ an old welder (with armature)
Will look at it tomorrow.

/ an old welder (with armature) #8  
AKA "The Fireplug"....ps it's not 110V. lol:thumbsup:

/ an old welder (with armature) #9  
Anybody know anything about this machine? Is there a name for it that can be shared on a family-friently forum? :D I assume the armature is an old-school method for increasing the frequency.

I "found" three of them in the crawlspace of an industrial building (in 2005), gave away 2 and kept one. Its still sitting there today.

Is it worth using? Worth selling? Doorstop? Is it 3phase?

410358d1423191578-old-welder-armature-img_20141111_205022_624-jpg

This isn't my pic, its from google images. I tried in the crawlspace but cant get a good pic, the flash illuminates dust and it cant focus.

Very funny line Sodo!!! :laughing: (excuse the sexist joke please) I wonder if a Female designed that Welder?

Last edited: