Ammunition

/ Ammunition #31  
love them in the 45/70 over some trail boss. bunny fart loads..
I wouldn't go that far, a 45/70 is a hoss with any load. The trail boss is also what I load. That thing hurts too bad to shoot with a full tilt jacked bullet load. My dad had a 45/120, but I never got to shoot it. The cartridge was about 4 inches tall.

/ Ammunition #32  
I wouldn't go that far, a 45/70 is a hoss with any load. The trail boss is also what I load. That thing hurts too bad to shoot with a full tilt jacked bullet load. My dad had a 45/120, but I never got to shoot it. The cartridge was about 4 inches tall.

Believe me.. the 45-70 over trailboss and 325gr LFP is a bunny fart compaired to a 458 LOTT with a 325gr JSP

here is a pic of a 458lott next to a 223, then a 38sp, then a 22lr. the 45-70 is a case lenght of 2.105" 458 lott is a belted magnum with a case length of 2.8" ;)

458.jpg

/ Ammunition #33  
I have several guns but this is my favorite to shoot......

500right%20900x574.jpg

costs about $1 to reload based on components I bought a few years ago. Can't tell how much now.

/ Ammunition #34  

500right%20900x574.jpg

costs about $1 to reload based on components I bought a few years ago. Can't tell how much now.

/ Ammunition #35  

500right%20900x574.jpg

What's that? A .32? Don't you need moon clips to hold those tiny rounds?

/ Ammunition #36  
I did start this thread about ammo, and not my specific question only. I'm wondering if you dislike steel cases only from the reloading point of view or if your worried about them damaging your guns. Hundreds of millions of firearms shoot steel cased ammo, and other then being (mostly) no reload able and (as far as I know, always) Berdan primed, I've never really heard any reason to avoid them.

I've always heard that coated steel cases sometimes deposit small amounts of the coating in the chamber leading to trouble loading / extracting rounds. Anyone have this experience?

/ Ammunition #37  
I reload.

I havn't dabbled much with lead as i mostly shot high velocity rifle, but a while back got a 45-70 and got real tired real fast of using up my expensive jacketed .458 projectiles that my .458 winmag / .458 lott eats, and finally located me some sized and lubed .459/.460 flat points.

love them in the 45.70 over some trail boss. bunny fart loads..

A long time ago a friend of mine had a 45 70. I shot it about 6 times and had enough. :laughing:

/ Ammunition #38  
My dad used to have a 45/70 pistol. Any takers on shooting it? He has a 375 JDJ and a 454 casull. Both are in handguns.

/ Ammunition #39  
I don't reload steel cases or nickel plated brass cases. Steel cases cause more wear to an semi automatic firearm, but a bolt action or wheel gun should be fine.

Why not the nickle plated brass? I always felt they resized a bit slicker than the bare brass cases.

/ Ammunition #40  
Why not the nickle plated brass? I always felt they resized a bit slicker than the bare brass cases.
I hate resizing them, it is much harder to do. Pistol dies are carbide and can resize nickel brass, but I don't like to do it. Rifle dies are not carbide and I ruined a resizing die trying to resize nickel plated brass. Hornady replaced the the 20 year old die for free. The kicker is that nickel plated brass is more expensive than regular brass.