Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
   / Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #2  
The farmer in article has three acres, growing salad greens. Not what most people think of when they hear farmer

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #3  
The farmer in article has three acres, growing salad greens. Not what most people think of when they hear farmer

Everyone's dream starts somewhere.

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm
Methinks you missed the point...!

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #5  
That's a good thing. :thumbsup:

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #6  

The article is behind a paywall for me, so I can't read beyond the first couple of paragraphs, Does the article say anything about the extent these young farmers are depending on non-farm income to support their farming operations?

Here are some data on economies of size in crop farming from https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/45108/39359_err152.pdf?v=4152.

Screenshot 2017-11-24 at 12.34.00 PM.png

Screenshot 2017-11-24 at 12.36.12 PM.png

Steve

The article is behind a paywall for me, so I can't read beyond the first couple of paragraphs, Does the article say anything about the extent these young farmers are depending on non-farm income to support their farming operations?
Steve
Below is about all it mentions:

...And young farmers face formidable challenges to starting and scaling their businesses. The costs of farmland and farm equipment are prohibitive. Young farmers are frequently dependent on government programs, including child-care subsidies and public health insurance, to cover basic needs.

And student loan debt which 46 percent of young farmers consider a 田hallenge, according to the National Young Farmers Coalition can strain already tight finances and disqualify them from receiving other forms of credit.

But Lindsey Lusher Shute, the executive director of the coalition, said she has seen the first wave of back-to-the-landers grow up in the eight years since she co-founded the advocacy group. And she suggested that new policy initiatives, including student loan forgiveness and farm transition programs, could further help them.

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #8  
Methinks you missed the point...!

The point is that you can have a big garden and sell produce at a market and be consider a farmer.
My cousin lives by the North Carolina guy from tv show mountain men. He survives by getting young people to basically volunteer to work at his farm.
This article seems to be the same situation

The point is that you can have a big garden and sell produce at a market and be consider a farmer.
My cousin lives by the North Carolina guy from tv show mountain men. He survives by getting young people to basically volunteer to work at his farm.

That's your point but it's not the point of the article...

/ Americans are leaving desk jobs to farm #10  

Doesn't what they are doing fit in the definition of farmer?

A farmer[1] (also called an agriculturer) is a person engaged in agriculture, raising living organisms for food or raw materials. The term usually applies to people who do some combination of raising field crops, orchards, vineyards, poultry, or other livestock. A farmer might own the farmed land or might work as a laborer on land owned by others, but in advanced economies, a farmer is usually a farm owner, while employees of the farm are known as farm workers, or farmhands. However, in the not so distant past, a farmer was a person who promotes or improves the growth of (a plant, crop, etc.) by labor and attention, land or crops or raises animals (as livestock or fish).

Farmer - Wikipedia

Nothing there about the type of crop or scale of operations.

More power to 'em if that makes them happy and productive.