Amazon?

/ Amazon? #391  
The founder of the company I work for started out during the Great Depression, and was known to say “No employee of mine is going to stand on a bread line.” He implemented a retirement program in the mid-1950s, which had evolved into a 401k.
You're lucky. The forest products industry, at least in this part of northern New England is nowhere near what it was in the 70s, let alone the 50s. Lots of companies have gone toes up.
I don't disagree that if that was part of the deal then yes, you're owed it and if an employer wants to offer it then great, you'll find employees staying longer.
I'm not sure the two are related. Even we boomers were nowhere near as likely to stay with one company for years and years as our parents were. Younger generations even less so. Job hopping isn't seen negatively like it once was, and most have learned that it's pretty much a necessity if you want to move up.

/ Amazon? #392  
My last employer before I retired had an unusual retirement plan. The company owner & founder started it in the late 70’s. The company (him) contributed an amount equal to 10% of each employee’s gross wages annually. Employees weren’t allowed to contribute. The really unusual part we’re the hard-fast withdrawal rules (after qualify & vesting).

Must be over 60
Or become permanently disabled
Or die

No taking it with you if you leave, rolling it over, hardship reasons, cashing out early, borrowing against it, etc. No exceptions. He said many times, “It’s my money funding this so I make the rules. This is for your retirement.” Plan has assets of over $40 million today.

Last edited:
   / Amazon? #393  
It's not always what you make. It's often what you save that counts. Saving and investing consistently over time. Not making blunders like getting divorced, driving new trucks every year unless they are a tax deduction, expensive vacays, failing to save for kids education, etc. 401K's with other savings and proper investments has made many people 'everyday millionaires+'.

/ Amazon? #394  
My last employer before I retired had an unusual retirement plan. The company owner & founder started it in the late 70’s. The company (him) contributed an amount equal to 10% of each employee’s gross wages annually. Employees weren’t allowed to contribute. The really unusAl part we’re the hard-fast withdrawal rules (after qualify & vesting).

Must be over 60
Become permanently disabled
Or die

No taking it with you if you leave, rolling it over, hardship reasons, cashing out early, borrowing against it, etc. No exceptions. He said many times, “It’s my money funding this so I make the rules. This is for your retirement.” Plan has assets of over $40 million today.
That's a good way to reward people who stick with him, but also puts employees at the whim of the employer.

/ Amazon? #396  
That's a good way to reward people who stick with him, but also puts employees at the whim of the employer.
Yes and no. I hear you, but since the employee is contributing zero, they are still free to deposit max IRA. This is just an incentive to stay, with no risk for employee.

/ Amazon? #398  
Nobody "took away" my pension plan, nowhere I worked ever offered one. Other than government job, that perk went away with my parents' generation.
Other than a supermarket chain I worked at for a year or so while I was "between jobs", none of the companies I worked for in my entire career are still in business, so even if they did have a pension, it would be gone.
How about sick leave? Paid vacations? Paid holidays? What went away with your parents' generation was collective bargaining. You strolled barefoot through hell, and got burned.

/ Amazon? #399  
I've been employee and employer and I never understood the feeling "I worked there for XX years and they owe me a pension" or on the flip side "I've employed them for XX years and they owe me more"
We worked for the company for what we thought was a fair rate and they in turn paid us for where they could make money.
A pension is not the company's money, it's your money, earned with every hour you put in. The money goes into a shared pension account, and you draw on that according to investment returns and actuarial tables. Employees with no representation are so whipped they don't even ask.

/ Amazon? #400  
A pension is not the company's money, it's your money, earned with every hour you put in. The money goes into a shared pension account, and you draw on that according to investment returns and actuarial tables. Employees with no representation are so whipped they don't even ask.
Those returns are considerably less than what can be made investing in 401k plans.